Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Carb to TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/329397-carb-tpi.html)

V8volvoman 11-02-2005 08:21 AM

Carb to TPI

About 3 years ago, i did a v8 conversion on a 200 series Volvo using a 1978 305. It has a Carter carb on it and I was wondering if it would be practical to convert to a TPI intake setup or buy a complete late 80's camaro engine with the intake, harness, computer and sensors already there. I have been very interested in doing this conversion for quite some time now and a complete setup from a friend is available to me for $300.

I ran a search for "carb to TPI" and it seems that there are several problems with wiring harnesses and tuning when converting, however, i'm still interested in following through with the swap.
Thanks,

V8volvoman

6SpeedTA95 11-02-2005 08:47 AM

For 300 bucks and a complete setup that seems to be good, when you say complete do you mean just the intake or do you mean intake setup + injectors + fuel rails?

A TPI setup on a relatively mild 305 will wake it up quite a bit. The thing to remember is where does your current motor build power? If its a high revver a TPI setup may not be want you want. But if its a typical 305 with pretty standard parts then revving to 5000 rpm will be plenty. If thats the case the TPI setup is perfect.

V8volvoman 11-02-2005 09:28 AM

Its a completely stock 305.

The setup will come with everything from computer, to wiring harness to the injectors.

I heard from some people though that the bolt pattern that the intake sits on is different from mid 70's to when the TPI was introduced. I want to make sure that the TPI intake is going to fit before I buy it. If its compatible then great, if not, then ill have to find a complete engine.

6SpeedTA95 11-02-2005 10:16 AM

Originally posted by V8volvoman
Its a completely stock 305.

The setup will come with everything from computer, to wiring harness to the injectors.

I heard from some people though that the bolt pattern that the intake sits on is different from mid 70's to when the TPI was introduced. I want to make sure that the TPI intake is going to fit before I buy it. If its compatible then great, if not, then ill have to find a complete engine.

300 bucks for everything is dirt cheap.

As far as I know TPI setups are Gen I blocks and they have the same bolt pattern as all the previous small block chevy's. You'll want someone else to confirm this, I've been out of the loop for a while and am trying to get back up to speed myself. But I think the LT1 is the first block you'd have to worry about bolt patterns on.

Jay 11-02-2005 03:19 PM

if it's an 85 or 86 TPI intake than it will bolt up no problems.

87 up have a different angle on the 4 inner bolts. The intake can be machined.. holes elongated to match though.

Cruzin Kaz 11-02-2005 03:27 PM

Just in case your interested... here is a nice setup I have for sale.

The 87 and up intake are the exact same except for the inner 2 intake bolt angles on both side. A little slotting work and your ready to go on the older gen 1 blocks.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TPI-intake-with-N...QQcmdZViewItem

okfoz 11-02-2005 04:33 PM

personally I would try get get an entire car. THey can be had for about $600 from a junkyard.

Thats exactly what I did, I swaped everything over and it looked absolutely factory.

One thing to consider is you should use new fuel lines as the TPI ones were made for higher pressure than the carb ones. And you need to put an in-tank high output Fuel pump...

John

V8volvoman 11-03-2005 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I am going to look into what the costs are for machining the intake as well as a whole car. But based on what people have said here, I'll go for the $300 setup my buddy has.

Thanks again,

V8volvoman

Shagwell 11-03-2005 12:09 PM

...machine the intake...? how bout a drill or a die grinder? thats all I've ever done...