Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Engine won't start after tune-up (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/533437-engine-wont-start-after.html)

ace16a 07-08-2009 11:29 PM

Engine won't start after tune-up

I just got done replacing all the plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor and now the engine won't fire. All I get is some popping and an occasional loud bang. I check plug 1 for spark and didn't get anything. Would there be no spark if the rotor is 180 deg off? It's my '85 TPI Z28. Thanks

Chevy8588 07-09-2009 12:09 AM

Re: Engine won't start after tune-up

Is the firing order back on right? how about the rotor?is it seated right? is the button in the center of the cap making contact with the rotor? is the coil plugged in? how bout your spark plugs, did ja gap them right?

ace16a 07-09-2009 06:17 AM

Double checked the firing order a few times, rotor is seated right, the button is making good contact with the rotor, coil is plugged in, gapped spark plugs at .035. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the rotor is in the right position. The car was running when I took everything apart.

1986iroc350 07-09-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ace16a (Post 4214641)
Double checked the firing order a few times, rotor is seated right, the button is making good contact with the rotor, coil is plugged in, gapped spark plugs at .035. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the rotor is in the right position. The car was running when I took everything apart.

Try and disconnect the battery maybe the computer has a glitch. That happened to me one time. i disconnected the battery for a bout 20m minutes after that it fired right back up. just a suggestion

ace16a 07-09-2009 07:35 PM

Ok, unhooked battery and rechecked the firing order. Took coil off and checked the wires, put coil back on and checked firing order again. Hooked battery back up and gave it a try. Still nothing. Checked for spark on all eight cylinders and all are getting good spark. So, checked fuel pressure, 38 psi. Still no fire, just a slight hesitation and occasional backfire. Does anyone have a firing order diagram for TPI? I thought it was the same as any other small block chevy. Any other idea's?

Chevy8588 07-09-2009 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the firing order,

FireChicken2.8 07-09-2009 11:28 PM

Should be the same as every other SBC. Sounds like your firing order is off or rotated. Pull #1 plug, rotate your engine til its on TDC COMPRESSION stroke. and then take the dist. cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing to the wire that goes to #1 spark plug. Rotor should only go on one way...But your condition sounds like when the distributor is 180 off...

Chevy8588 07-10-2009 05:03 AM

he probably put the wires onto the distributor counter clockwise as apposed to clockwise OR got the wrong point on the distributor as number 1 and consequently set the whole thing off

jstuart83 07-10-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy8588 (Post 4215686)
he probably put the wires onto the distributor counter clockwise as apposed to clockwise OR got the wrong point on the distributor as number and consequently set the whole thing off

i agree that's what it sounds like to me too

gurkgurkgurk 07-11-2009 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy8588 (Post 4215686)
he probably put the wires onto the distributor counter clockwise as apposed to clockwise OR got the wrong point on the distributor as number 1 and consequently set the whole thing off

that would definitely do it.

1989IROC-Z5.7L 07-11-2009 01:56 AM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...ring-order.jpg

ternandes 07-11-2009 06:18 AM

When you replaced the wires, did you change them one at a time? Or did you pull them all off and then replace?

If you did them one at a time, and did not remove the distributor, that leads me to the rotor.

You can't install the rotor improperly and still get the cap on right, so at this point, I would take the rotor out, and check it for a carbon burn. Occasionally, a defect in the rotor allows the spark to burn through to ground, and this will result in symptoms like yours. If this has happened, you will see a black burn spot near the center of the rotor.

luis951 08-09-2013 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ace16a (Post 4215269)
Ok, unhooked battery and rechecked the firing order. Took coil off and checked the wires, put coil back on and checked firing order again. Hooked battery back up and gave it a try. Still nothing. Checked for spark on all eight cylinders and all are getting good spark. So, checked fuel pressure, 38 psi. Still no fire, just a slight hesitation and occasional backfire. Does anyone have a firing order diagram for TPI? I thought it was the same as any other small block chevy. Any other idea's?

ey did you ever solved the problem im having the same exact problem replaced the plugs and cap and rotor and now it will just crank but no start and pops

KMdoza7 08-09-2013 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by luis951 (Post 5616073)
ey did you ever solved the problem im having the same exact problem replaced the plugs and cap and rotor and now it will just crank but no start and pops

sounds like your wires are not in the right order

Schrade 08-09-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by luis951 (Post 5616073)

Get a socket for the balancer bolt. Breaker bar, rotate the engine by hand till timing mark is @ 0.

Now put a piece of tape on the dist cap, across the distributor base, right near where #1 wire is in the cap. Cut the tape cleanly, and pull the distributor cap. The rotor should be just AFTER the tape, OR, exactly 180 degrees away in the other direction.

If not:
Get spec timing advance. Rotate crankshaft to that degree. Loosen distributor holddown fork, and rotate distributor to get the rotor directly on the tape. Tighten the distributor.

IF SO:

Set the cap back down, and follow the next wire to #8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2 cylinders respectively.

This is called static timing test.

Bookmark & Sticky this post YUP!

Wrench
Wizard OUT!!!

luis951 08-13-2013 03:55 PM

igot the car running again now the problem its having shuts off wile putting it in drive the car is great in neutral but once set in drive or reverse shuts off.i have also noticed when removing the MAP sensor vacumm the car happens to run but times still shuts off what can it be.icheked egr it seems fine

vetteoz 08-13-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by luis951 (Post 5618294)
what can it be.

Read
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...formation.html

If we had some idea of what car you owned, it would go a long way to you getting accurate help

luis951 08-14-2013 02:30 PM

sorry about that its a 90 camaro 305 tpi manual transmission

Reid Fleming 03-02-2014 05:51 PM

Just a heads up for future people who change the cap and rotor and find their car won't start after. The diagrams that show 1,8,4,3 etc are correct. But the diagram is a bit skewed compared to what the cap terminals are.

Say you're standing at the front of the engine. The #1 and #8 on the cap would seem to be 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock respectively on the cap. I spent an eternity tracing wires (not easy with black wires on stock manifolds) and everything was lined up in the correct order.

Turns out that everything was off by one. The #1 on the cap is really more like 4 o'clock when you're standing at the front of the engine. I only noticed this because the old cap I'd taken off had a purple line drawn where #1 goes. Moving all the wires one spot over and voila.

90camaro355rs 03-02-2014 06:23 PM

Would be a better choice to replace the plugs and wires one at a time, then this wont happen!

Reid Fleming 03-03-2014 08:03 PM

I couldn't get the cap off without removing the wires. There is zero extra slack on my spark plugs wires.

Keno Beenz 05-14-2020 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming (Post 5723803)
Just a heads up for future people who change the cap and rotor and find their car won't start after. The diagrams that show 1,8,4,3 etc are correct. But the diagram is a bit skewed compared to what the cap terminals are.

Say you're standing at the front of the engine. The #1 and #8 on the cap would seem to be 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock respectively on the cap. I spent an eternity tracing wires (not easy with black wires on stock manifolds) and everything was lined up in the correct order.

Turns out that everything was off by one. The #1 on the cap is really more like 4 o'clock when you're standing at the front of the engine. I only noticed this because the old cap I'd taken off had a purple line drawn where #1 goes. Moving all the wires one spot over and voila.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...032839908e.jpg
So the red mark on this was yer #1 ?