Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   need your intelligence (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/620670-need-your-intelligence.html)

87rattler 07-11-2011 08:49 PM

need your intelligence

I've searched on here long and hard. Too many threads without closure.

Problems
  1. Hard Start - 5 second crank to light. or 3 quick cranks to light.
  2. Running a little rich - raw fuel smell at start up, no smoke.
  3. Won't start hot,(15 minute city drive) wait 5 minutes, starts right up. (starter may be suffering from header heat)
  4. Gas odor in the crankcase.:eek:
Fuel pressure on intial prime is zero by the time i get back to the engine bay. Idles at 37#. immediately falls to zero after shut down.

Runs great once it starts. Lots off power.

No engine light, not sure if that is working.

Starter is wrapped.

Don't want to throw money at her(no mechanic's), cuz I would like an LS motor in a couple of years, but i need her to run well until then. If you feel i need a few parts that might help her out, that's fine. Wife says money's tight for my "project car".

I've sorta come up with(from my searching) that i may need a Fuel Press. Reg.; or Injectors.

Thanks, any help would be great, and this site ROC's

southbay08 07-11-2011 10:54 PM

Re: need your intelligence

check your injectors. Pull the plugs if you have wet cylinders you have leaky injectors. You can also check the resistance hot and cold. You can also check the diaphragm on the regulator and your o2 sensor

UnderCover89TBI 07-12-2011 12:06 AM

I think you have leaky injectors. They are leaking down and flooding the engine basically.

87rattler 07-12-2011 07:07 AM

Thanks Southbay, how much for Bosch 3's sent to Canada, I think the ones in there are stock. Is that 22 lbs?

southbay08 07-12-2011 07:43 AM

You are welcome! If you have a 350 then yes you would need the 22's = $165.00 then take off 10% for tgo discount. If you have a 305 then you need the 19's = $155
minus 10%. For me to accurately calculate your shipping cost I will need your postal code.

87rattler 07-12-2011 01:38 PM

Just to add. I never smell gas(other than in the crankcase:mad:), if it was the diaphram of the FPR would I not smell gas. I've drove, shutdown and opened the hood to see a reading on my pressure gauge (0#) and have never smelled gas. Also would a leaking injector cause a drop in pressure this quickly. Have read about check valve's and such.

When I first noticed the Hot Start issue, I thought to myself "Leaky Injector", plug can't spark because it's soaked in fuel or Computer thinks its too rich. My co-worker said it might be a heat soaked starter. Any idea about this.

UnderCover89TBI 07-12-2011 04:14 PM

too much gas and it can be washed into the crankcase. and a leaky injector can cause the fuel pressure to drop very fast.

87rattler 07-16-2011 11:29 AM

Just curious, I have the fuel rail off, waiting for injectors from SOUTH BAY. Once i disconnected the fuel rail, the lines were continuing to leak gas until i pinched the lines(unpinched the next day and it began to leak again). Is this normal, seems like there is a little pressure in the lines, even though I hadn't drivin' her for days before.

Also, is the Cold Start Injector prone to leaking, Should it be changed while i have it all apart.

darbysan 07-27-2011 04:43 PM

Cold start injectors do go bad. Not sure if you can find replacements. Many eliminate them and do a re-tune on the Prom.