Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   TPI and Wiring Converting? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/634721-tpi-wiring-converting.html)

91copo 11-28-2011 10:52 PM

TPI and Wiring Converting?

Is their a way to get rid of the stock ECU and change to a aftermarket one like Holley's for TPI. I am trying to get the EGR, planning on using a turbo or supercharger and wanted get away from all the computer stuff to time the motor. Also I am sick of not being able to change something in the wiring with screwing something else up. Would like get rid of the chip in the key while I am at all of this to. :help:

vetteoz 11-29-2011 12:46 AM

Re: TPI and Wiring Converting?

Originally Posted by 91copo (Post 5107219)
Is their a way to get rid of the stock ECU and change to a aftermarket one like Holley's for TPI. wanted get away from all the computer stuff

I don't see the difference; with the Holley EFI you are still going to have a computer and wiring
If you don't want a computer and wiring; put a carb on it.
Solves all your problems inc chip in the key with one stroke

ninetyone 11-29-2011 11:49 AM

Sounds like you need to get into chip burning. Keep the stock tpi stuff

ninetyone 11-29-2011 11:50 AM

the idea behind boosting is getting great mileage at part throttle ,but having lots of power at WOT. Why go carb?

Tuned Performance 11-29-2011 11:52 AM

reprogram or dynamicefi ebl p4

vetteoz 11-29-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ninetyone (Post 5107581)
Why go carb?

The OP's question is a jumble.
He apparently wants
a aftermarket ECM but wants to " get away from all the computer stuff and wiring"
delete EGR
forced induction
delete VATS.

Carb is a quick and dirty fix for most of those

91copo 12-01-2011 10:03 PM

I just want to do this car right so I don't have to worry about electric problems like I've heard about. All I want is the EFI with the other electronics if ya get what I'm saying. Also, is there a way to get rid of the chip in the key, I have heard those will go bad and hurt performance and cause starting issues.

ninetyone 12-02-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 91copo (Post 5110097)
I just want to do this car right so I don't have to worry about electric problems like I've heard about. All I want is the EFI with the other electronics if ya get what I'm saying. Also, is there a way to get rid of the chip in the key, I have heard those will go bad and hurt performance and cause starting issues.

Well, if ain't broke , don't fix it. I got my vats deleted when i got my new chip made. There are also kits on ebay for bypassing.

91copo 12-02-2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ninetyone (Post 5110314)
Well, if ain't broke , don't fix it. I got my vats deleted when i got my new chip made. There are also kits on ebay for bypassing.

thanks checked into the vats delete and it was helpful. how do you tell what chip is in the key?

91copo 12-02-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by vetteoz (Post 5107298)
I don't see the difference; with the Holley EFI you are still going to have a computer and wiring
If you don't want a computer and wiring; put a carb on it.
Solves all your problems inc chip in the key with one stroke

I would like to stay with the TPI just have the bare minimum so it's idiot proof (i got three brothers). I would like to be able to time the motor by the distributor not go through the ecu.

rgarcia63 12-02-2011 11:07 PM

If you mean set the initial (baseline) timing, the ECM is actually disabled to set it.
Once the ECM timing control is disabled, setting the timing is the same as a non-ecm controlled engine.
The use of the engine will determine how much computer control (sensors) you need, thereby reducing wiring. The more you dumb it down, the more fuel it's going to use. There's always a trade off.

91copo 12-05-2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by rgarcia63 (Post 5111059)
If you mean set the initial (baseline) timing, the ECM is actually disabled to set it.
Once the ECM timing control is disabled, setting the timing is the same as a non-ecm controlled engine.
The use of the engine will determine how much computer control (sensors) you need, thereby reducing wiring. The more you dumb it down, the more fuel it's going to use. There's always a trade off.

i read elsewhere that if you do try to time the motor by the distributor it will be lying to the ECM and hurt performance?

ninetyone 12-05-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by 91copo (Post 5113699)
i read elsewhere that if you do try to time the motor by the distributor it will be lying to the ECM and hurt performance?

You set the timing by unplugging the EST (the computer controlled "advance"). How would the distributor be "lying"? If you advance timing, you can get better performance most of the time, just like any other car.

91copo 12-07-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ninetyone (Post 5113717)
You set the timing by unplugging the EST (the computer controlled "advance"). How would the distributor be "lying"? If you advance timing, you can get better performance most of the time, just like any other car.

Okay, thank you for setting me strait there.

91copo 12-07-2011 06:29 PM

Here's another question, this is a '91 B4C car with TPI 5.7 and Th-700-R4, i was wondering if the ECMs in these cars have a different tune than the other non B4C Camaros?