Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   Fuel Pump not priming (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/713187-fuel-pump-not-priming.html)

destroyerwes 12-30-2014 03:07 PM

Fuel Pump not priming

I'm sorry if this is not the right place for this but I have a 89 IROC Camaro TPI and the pump will not prime. I checked all the fuses including the one near the battery and replaced the fuel pump relay. I turn the key over and the Security light will turn on and off along with the Check engine light that stays on. I hear the relay click but no fuel pump priming. It just ran fine last week also the I replaced the current fuel pump about a year a half ago. :huh:

antares57 12-30-2014 07:33 PM

Re: Fuel Pump not priming

Has to be a defective pump. You put a new strainer on the new fuel pump when installing, right? Any CEL codes present?

destroyerwes 12-30-2014 07:47 PM

Yeah when I installed it I put a new strainer and filter.I don't think there are any CEL codes, I should check. I just want to see if anyone had any ideas I haven't thought about before dropping the tank again which is a pain. I assume that if the fuses and relay is good the only thing left is the pump right?

antares57 12-30-2014 07:54 PM

Unfortunately yes. I'm sure you did all the same troubleshooting prior that led you to installing the current fuel pump. If you did same things again and it points to the pump, it probably is. Yes, they are a pain. I've done two, getting ready to do a third. They seem easier and quicker after the first one. Good luck.

eseibel67 12-31-2014 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by destroyerwes (Post 5859430)
Yeah when I installed it I put a new strainer and filter.I don't think there are any CEL codes, I should check. I just want to see if anyone had any ideas I haven't thought about before dropping the tank again which is a pain. I assume that if the fuses and relay is good the only thing left is the pump right?

No. It could be the relay or the wiring. Even though the relay clicks, that doesn't mean it's sending power to the pump. And there are several connections between the relay and the pump, check all of those first.
Since the relay clicks, first place I would check for power is the tan wire on the FP relay. It's easy to get to. If yes, go under the car and make sure the pump is getting power and ground.

Dropping the tank should be a last resort.

destroyerwes 01-04-2015 06:22 PM

The tan wire on the FP relay has power going to it? I checked the orange wire it had power going to it for sure. Also the fuel pump does not prime but does start then dies right as it starts. That only happens when I first try to start it during the day after that it just turns over.

D&S 85 IROC 01-21-2015 06:48 PM

any more on this???????????/