Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   2X Smog failure, any tips? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/742903-2x-smog-failure-any.html)

Agent13 04-18-2017 08:54 PM

2X Smog failure, any tips?

Car is an '86 IROC with the 305 TPI with 86.300 miles. It had previously sat for 11 years.

While waking it from its slumber, I replaced all 8 injectors with Bosch IIIs and the EGR valve with an Autozone replacement. The original EGR valve did not hold vacuum.

1st Smog attempt
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1qeqhqgd.jpg

After the original failure, I only replaced the catalytic converter. I waited a week before attempting to smog it again

2nd attempt
https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0hjkex8m.jpg

I'm wondering if the Autozone EGR could be at fault here.

blacksunshine'91 04-18-2017 09:27 PM

Re: 2X Smog failure, any tips?

I would double check and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, especially since you just pulled the plenum to get to the EGR valve. Did you get new runner gaskets or did you reuse your old ones? Check the vacuum lines as well while you are at it. If they are all in good order, then I would take a look at your EGR solenoid.

tealman92 04-19-2017 12:41 AM

Weird that your NO went up after the cat replacement. Did you drive the car around for 30 minutes to get it nice and hot before the test?

NoEmissions84TA 04-19-2017 12:56 AM

Weird. I thought the EGR was supposed to reduce NOx.

Lean Fuel Mixture - Lean fuel mixtures cause high NOx. ... Combustion temperatures increase causing high nitric oxide emissions. A lean fuel condition may be due to a vacuum leak/s and/or defective fuel control components, such as the Air Flow Meter, Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, and O2 sensors.

blacksunshine'91 04-19-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA (Post 6129159)
I thought the EGR was supposed to reduce NOx.

After the new EGR valve and cat, the NOx went down at 15 mph by a significant amount. But the NOx at 25 mph was way high. I would think that the EGR solenoid is not operating correctly.

Galaxie500XL 04-19-2017 01:22 PM

I'm curious why there was a 500 RPM difference recorded between the first test, and the second test.

Longshot08 04-19-2017 02:18 PM

Did you replace your O2 sensor as well? When I bought my L98 a few years ago (and living in CA) it had readings similar to what you posted. Thought it was a EGR issue but after testing the system I found it was functional. Some thread searching on here persuaded me to get a new O2 sensor which I did and it passed just fine. I used an Autozone replacement ($20).

Longshot08 04-19-2017 02:21 PM

Should mention this worked AFTER I replaced all the vacuum lines, and hoses and such. This was the last thing I replaced that actually made it pass.

tealman92 04-19-2017 06:15 PM

I just noticed the rpm difference. Did the tech leave it in first gear on the second test? A 500 rpm difference does make a difference during the test. Maybe hes trying to scam for more money. Did you take it back to the same place?

NoEmissions84TA 04-19-2017 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL (Post 6129308)
I'm curious why there was a 500 RPM difference recorded between the first test, and the second test.

Yeah, I noticed that also.

Croz 04-19-2017 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA (Post 6129445)
Yeah, I noticed that also.

Agreed. Hard to compare test results when the engine is under a totally different type of load. Depending on the vacuum difference at 1100 and 1600 rpm, this will greatly effect EGR operation. I wouldnt change a thing, take it back, point out the rpm difference and have the test redone, then go from there.

paulo57509 04-20-2017 05:47 AM

Looking at my own pass/fail emission test results over the years, they show varying degrees of engine speeds. No real trends with regards to pass/fail results; Some pass at higher rpm, some fail at higher rpm and vice-versa.

I think it's more a function of the tech trying to get the car to pass. What matters is the road speed at which the numbers are recorded, not the engine speed. I'm thinking that when they see borderline fails for either HC or NOx, they run the car in a lower gear (?) to try and keep the converter hot.

Like someone else said, I'd try a new O2 sensor. An NTK or Denso direct fit and retest. I'd also look for vacuum leaks.

Hint: If there was a way for him to cut back the ignition timing, I guarantee it'll pass. The catch is doing this so it's undetected. ;)

ILMODC 04-20-2017 10:25 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...5eaeb25936.jpg

Problem solved.

Jk bud. Hope you get this handled. Cant wait to check out the car....

tealman92 04-20-2017 02:24 PM

On todays test screens there is no real time data showing emissions during the test only the mph. Good theory but they changed the system so you cant manipulate it.

NoEmissions84TA 04-20-2017 07:39 PM

Good theory but they changed the system so you cant manipulate it.

Volkswagon begs to differ. Seriously, that was brilliant, maybe wrong, but still brilliant.

tealman92 04-20-2017 10:21 PM

Lol that was good. Kind of different how they did it though. Once the smog tech plugged into the cars obd2 port it triggered the cars computer to change the tune to pass smog. Pretty genius but they are paying for it now

Agent13 04-21-2017 12:12 AM

The tests were performed at two different smog shops, fortunately both times I wasn't charged.

I'll report back once I have time to accomplish some work on the car.

Thanks for all of your help!

305sbc 04-21-2017 06:45 PM

maybe that EGR isn't getting activated properly. There is a combo of temp sensor, and vacuum line to control the valve, plus some EGR valves are very sensitive to backpressure.
One other thing with TPI is the EGR passages like to clog, especially in the little runner tubes. It may be cutting down the flow