Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   TPI (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/)
-   -   What does anybody think of these heads for stock l98 with cam (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/749736-what-does-anybody-think.html)

amfornal 12-12-2017 05:14 PM

What does anybody think of these heads for stock l98 with cam

Chevy SBC 350 200cc 64cc Straight Bare Aluminum Cylinder Headhttps://d2c5keh8asbas7.cloudfront.ne...350-200-64.jpghttps://atracingworld.com/storage/im...escription.pngChevy SBC 350 200cc 64cc Straight Bare Aluminum Cylinder Head

Part Number:PH-SB350-200-64SPart Type:Cylinder HeadsCylinder Head Style:BareCylinder Head Material:AluminumCylinder Head Finish:NaturalCombustion Chamber Volume (cc):64 ccCNC-Machined Combustion Chamber:NoIntake Runner Volume (cc):200 ccExhaust Runner Volume (cc):n/aCNC-Machined Intake Runner:NoCNC-Machined Exhaust Runner:NoIntake Port Shape:SquareIntake Port Location:StandardExhaust Port Shape:SquareExhaust Port Location:StandardSpark Plug Style:StraightComp. Valve Job:NoIntake Valves Included:NoIntake Valve Diameter (in):2.020 in.Exhaust Valves Included:No Exhaust Valve Diameter (in):1.600 in. Valve Springs Included:No Damper Spring Included:No Retainers Included:No Locks Included:No Valve Stem Seals Included:No Rocker Arm Studs Included:No Rocker Arms Included:No Rocker Arm Nuts Included:No Guideplates Included:No Valve Cover Mounting Style:Center & Perimeter BoltAccessory Bolt Holes Drilled:Yes Intake Valve Angle:23 deg.Exhaust Valve Angle:23 deg.Valve Guides Included:Yes Valve Guide Material:Bronze Valve Seats Machined:YesValve Seat Machine Style:3-angleValve Seat Material:Ductile iron Steam Holes Drilled:NoOiling Style:Through pushrod Quantity:Sold individually.

amfornal 12-12-2017 05:15 PM

Re: What does anybody think of these heads for stock l98 with cam

They are actualy 195 cc not 200 cc.

amfornal 12-12-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by amfornal (Post 6188750)
They are actualy 195 cc not 200 cc.

I HAVE THIS CAM LISTED BELOW.

Anyone running Comp Cams 08-501-8 in L98? I have this cam in my 1989 L98 IROC-Z. Right now I am running this cam with ported intake and Magnaflow Dual Cat-back exhaust. This cam really woke up my stock L98. My question is what other Mods can I do that will get me the best bang for the buck. I would like to go with new heads, headers etc. but I don't know what the limitations of the Cam I already have put in are. Anyone have any suggestions on heads, rocker arms or anything else to get some more HP?

Comp Cams 08-501-8
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,200-5,200
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 212
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 218
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 212 int./218 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 264
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 269
Advertised Duration: 264 int./269 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.495 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.488 int./0.495 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112

Abubaca 12-12-2017 08:42 PM

Those heads are too big. Especially for a TPI which favors efficiency over size. I have a 383 with an insanely ported TPI, and I'm only running 180cc. A purpose built 350, with every part hand picked to rev high and flow, could use those heads. A good ole street 350, especially a TPI?? Too big. I wouldn't look bigger than 180cc unless you know exactly HOW and WHY you're gonna build that motor.

As for mods, exhaust should be a given, as well as some tuning. Also, look into a gear change and a torque converter. That'll do more than the cam did.

As for heads/HP...what are your goals? How often do you drive the car? How much can you do yourself? What's your budget?

Abubaca 12-12-2017 08:47 PM

That cam you chose is pretty similar to the zz4 cam I was running. I had a mildly ported TPI, full exhaust, tuning, a 3.27 gear and a 2200 stall and the car was an absolute blast. Not modern day LS/Coyote fast, but still pretty fun.

Orr89RocZ 12-12-2017 09:24 PM

I had the next size up cam from that in a stock rebuilt L98. Ran good. Pretty good idle and made ok power. Stock heads and intake kill potential.

Who makes those heads? The ph-sbc350 part number makes me think proheader but not sure. If proheader they are decent castings. I'd get them bare and have a shop install valves and good springs for the cam

Ultimately you NEED an intake upgrade to see any real gains. Cam and heads on stock intake wont do a whole lot for the money. It will pick up but alot left on table

amfornal 12-12-2017 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6188796)
Those heads are too big. Especially for a TPI which favors efficiency over size. I have a 383 with an insanely ported TPI, and I'm only running 180cc. A purpose built 350, with every part hand picked to rev high and flow, could use those heads. A good ole street 350, especially a TPI?? Too big. I wouldn't look bigger than 180cc unless you know exactly HOW and WHY you're gonna build that motor.

As for mods, exhaust should be a given, as well as some tuning. Also, look into a gear change and a torque converter. That'll do more than the cam did.

As for heads/HP...what are your goals? How often do you drive the car? How much can you do yourself? What's your budget?

l drive to car shows and on weekends. Looking for 300 to 400 hp TRYING to stay budget friendly.. I just saw these heads for like 300 dollars a pair and thought may be good deal. I did just order some headers. I am now debating on having stock heads redone or buy new ones. Car starting to burn oil bad @ start up.

amfornal 12-12-2017 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by amfornal (Post 6188807)
l drive to car shows and on weekends. Looking for 300 to 400 hp TRYING to stay budget friendly.. I just saw these heads for like 300 dollars a pair and thought may be good deal. I did just order some headers. I am now debating on having stock heads redone or buy new ones. Car starting to burn oil bad @ start up.

I just got these headers orderd. I thought they were ok for $115.Chevy SBC 350 1982 - 1992 Camaro Firebird Stainless Steel Exhaust Headers
Brand:Procomp ElectronicsPart Number:PCE316.1017Part Type:HeadersHeader Style:Performance Mid LengthHeader Material:Stainless SteelHeader Finish:NaturalWeld-Up:NoPrimary Tube Diameter (in):1 5/8 in.Collector Attachment:Bolt OnCollector Diameter:2.5 in.Cylinder Head Port Shape:OvalTuned:NoPrimary Tube Gauge:16 GaugeFlange Style:Standard OEMFlange Thickness (in):3/8 in.Bolts/Studs Included:NoGaskets Included:NoReducers Included:NoY-Pipe Included:NoMotor Mounts Included:NoTransmission Mount Included:NoQuantity:Sold as a Set

Abubaca 12-13-2017 07:36 AM

Ya know....I know it's not always a popular option, but I'm a huge fan of running vortec heads on a 350 TPI motor. You can find heads used on the cheap, and with a little work, they'll handle that cam no problem. There's a vortec TPI manifold in the classifieds right now too. Not gonna make insane dyno numbers, but it'll make one heck of a torquey street motor. Their power under the curve is a perfect compliment to a bolt on TPI motor.