Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   HELP! 700R4 Torque Converter Install (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/207626-help-700r4-torque-converter.html)

Magman 10-27-2003 12:09 AM

HELP! 700R4 Torque Converter Install

Hey guys I need some help here. I'm helping my neighbor swap from a v-6 to a 305 in a 89RS. We are unable to get the torque converter seated over the input shaft, it simply wont go on all the way. I have heard these are more difficult to install than a TH350 (which is what I am familiar with) but this seems impossible. I have taken it to a local tranny shop which offered very little help. The local parts store manager tried to assist also to no avail. The trans came from a salvage yard and the converter is a rebuilt unit from e-bay. The dealer who sold the converter to him swears it is the right converter and says to keep trying. SO, what is the trick? Am I holding my tongue wrong or what? Thanks for your help in advance.

85TransAm406 10-27-2003 12:37 AM

There were 2 different spline counts for the input shafts, 27 and 30, changing either mid-year 84 or 87, i'm not sure, i have shop manuals that have conflicting info on the year, but you need to make sure the converter and the input shaft have the same spline count.

Magman 10-27-2003 01:12 AM

Thanks 85TransAm406, weve been there. The spline count is the same, 30.

85TransAm406 10-27-2003 01:15 AM

Ewww...that sucks then, can't think of anything else unless whoever rebuilt the converter messed up the splines so that they wouldn't mesh.

Kontrax 10-27-2003 09:18 PM

all you need is 3 clicks man, i had the same problem. now i can do it with my eyes closed. turn it like a steering wheel back and forth, the last click isn't as loud as the 1st so keep your ears open. when you get it in its going to look like its not in all the way, but it is. it will bolt right up. should have a paper thin gap from the converter to the fly wheel when finished.

BigMike92Z 10-27-2003 11:30 PM

I agree, we actually installed mine two or three times because we didn't think it was going on al the way. the last time we finally audibly heard the third click and figured what the hell. at first it didn't look right but it was fine.

Magman 10-27-2003 11:36 PM

Ok, I'll give it another try tomorrow! Thanks.

Rump132 10-29-2003 09:45 PM

I am his neighbor who is doing the swap. We cannot even seem to get the first 'click', much less three! I am certain the spline counts are the same. I am also sure the part number is correct. This is very frustrating as it is holding up the entire project. We do appreciate the help though.

Kingtal0n 10-31-2003 03:52 AM

it really should go on fairly easilly. ive never had one NOT go on. the only thing i can think of is that its just not the right one for the transmission.

Eats5.0's 11-01-2003 12:00 PM

I agree,, they can be a royal PITA, then all of a sudden, boom it's in, and you're like WTF, why was it so hard the first hundred times??? If it's the right one, it'll go, just be patient.

Magman 11-15-2003 09:01 PM

Well its now a dead issue. Converter would just not go on, weve now got a used converter and trans coming from a 89 donor. We never figured out the problem either, obviously the splines wouldnt mate.

BigMike92Z 11-15-2003 09:03 PM

wierd. well goodl uck. :)

beatereater 05-08-2010 10:45 PM

Re: HELP! 700R4 Torque Converter Install

Honestly, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. . except i pulled mine off from the tranny and it wont go back on.. i have had countless people try it. . many with tons of experience with automatics and i have no idea why its not going back on..... the guy that put it on first is clueless?? if anyone finds stuff out please post asap.

Fuzzman17 05-09-2010 12:39 AM

An old timer once told me to stand the transmission on it's tail shaft and have someone spin/rock the converter gently till it drops all the way in.
It's worked for me before on stubborn converters.
Good luck

d4nk 05-10-2010 09:58 PM

Just set it on there, and begin spinning it slowly, if they have the right spline count it'll plop right in there, with 3 audible clicks.

Dewey110 05-25-2010 10:49 PM

This is weird but true, when I put the stall converter in my car a few months ago I ran into the same problem. I had the transmission in reverse instead of park from where I had removed the shifter cable. As soon as I put it in park the converter slipped right in. Just a thought. I am not sure if that was it or I finally had it aligned properly.