Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   B&M Mega shifter? JUNK? OR GREAT? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/213119-b-m-mega-shifter.html)

Ksths2 12-03-2003 02:06 PM

B&M Mega shifter? JUNK? OR GREAT?

I have an 85 IROC CAMARO and 700R4 tranny and i'm wanting a nice clean install of a new shifter to look good, i noticed that B&M makes a Megashifter for a console mount for a 700R4 Camaro.....

My question is, does this have that stupid lookin plastic box too or does it use a flush mount plate like the stock ****fter now??? Thanks alot!!!

3RD GEN RULES!

BigDog99 12-03-2003 02:35 PM

If you buy the console shifter, it will mount flush right into your console. My car has the B&M Hammer Shifter, and the moron I bought the car from decided to attempt to mount it flush, but he didn't use the sifter boot. It looks & works fine, just doesn't have a boot covering the shaft. So now, like with most of the other stuff he did, I now have to figure out a way to make it look pretty!

askulte 12-03-2003 03:14 PM

moved. not power adder.

88Camaro350 12-03-2003 11:22 PM

The console model for our cars doesn't have that box thing. It mounts flush. Looks almost stock.

I really like my megashifter. Works great. Its kind of a PITA to install but worth it.

Worst thing is that the alluminum shifter handle gets COLLLLD lol.

xpndbl3 12-04-2003 12:32 AM

just put a sock over the shifter handle during the cold months.....preferably wash it first :D

fireturd350 12-04-2003 03:34 PM

It's not the coldness you have to worry about. I've actually about burn'd the B & M logo into my palm before. Sucker gets really hot if you leave the car parked for acouple hours and it's in the sun.

1.) Just make sure you use loc-tite on the handle otherwize you're strip it out.

2.) Also make sure you don't get Armall on your boot it'll eat it like no tomorrow.

3.) The B & M doesn't lock out with the key. The stock shifter is locked in park if the key is in lock but the megashifter you can still shift. They don't let you reuse the cable that controlls that function.

4.) You'll have to use the B&M cable because they offer a different type of bracket. You could reuse the stock one with mods, but the cable should be included in the console box I think.

5.) The finish wheres off the handle eventually but you can just remove it and sand it down and mirror polish the sucker then it looks trick.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...125_7_full.jpg

There's mine. I didn't use the console model because I found this shifter used for under 100 shipped. I have since replaced torn B&M boot with a homemade pleather one. I made mine to clear the stock console without cutting. It still has some problems like the console rattles a little bit and will bump the plate up if I down shift. Overall I really like the shifter compared to stock.

88Camaro350 12-04-2003 09:28 PM

I got the console model for 50$ used. Score!!

It was definetly worth 50$.

Bandit5 12-04-2003 09:46 PM

I have the Hurst Dual Gate 2 shifter, a PITA to install, but it is very nice when finished.

MattW 12-05-2003 12:19 AM

i dunno if i just installed mine wrong or if its defected cuz my megashifter isnt nearly as firm as my friends....and he has an iroc-z and it has had it on there longer than i have had mine....mine feels really loose and once it came outta adjustment when iwas at the drag strip...that was no fun....running down track in 2nd at 40mph :(

but i dunno...i've thought about taking it out and sending it in to see if its defected or not but i dont hvae a back up car so i cant....but if mine worked like my friends..ooh i'd definately say go for it :)

rushtk 04-15-2019 10:33 AM

Re: B&M Mega shifter? JUNK? OR GREAT?

any pics?

//<86TA>\\ 04-16-2019 06:30 AM

Re: B&M Mega shifter? JUNK? OR GREAT?

What's with all the zombie threads lately? People. Must be using the "search" festure