Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Noisy throwout bearing (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/362431-noisy-throwout-bearing.html)

SteelTownMadDog 05-05-2006 08:06 AM

Noisy throwout bearing

Is it normal for the throwout bearing to be a little rattlely when I release the clutch, trans in neutral, engine running? It's not super loud, but audible.

Another question; the clutch seems to grab really high, almost on the last inch of the clutch pedal release (this is a T56 swap, T5 originally). All the parts were from the LT1 donor, and it's been like that since I bought the car in January. Is there any adjustment to these hydraulic clutchs or is it just the way it is. It's not slipping or anything, just grabs higher than I'm use to.

84z28350 05-05-2006 08:39 AM

Time to replace the clutch and throwout bearing both appear to be shot.

sofakingdom 05-05-2006 08:41 AM

No it is not normal.

It is however extremely normal for the transmission to make some noise under those conditions though. After all, all of its guts are spinning when the clutch pedal is out.

What makes you think the noise is the throwout?

If you used the 3rd gen pedals, then the stud on the pedal, is too low; so you end up with too much leverage on the master cyl. Meaning, when the pedal moves some given amount, it pushes the rod farther than the hydraulics are designed for. So what you end up with, is a pedal that's too stiff, and you get the whole stroke of the MC with only part of the stroke of the pedal.

No you can't really adjust anything to change it; except, if you could move the stud where the push rod hooks to the pedal, about an inch closer to the pedal's pivot rod.

FYI, my car is exactly like that too. 3rd gen pedals, T-56. My clutch disengages entirely with about half of the full pedal.

SteelTownMadDog 05-05-2006 09:05 AM

I don't think the clutch is done. It's an SLP unit with only about 9000 miles on it.

I know it's the throwout bearing because the noise stops when I push in the clutch, and the noise is louder after being molested..like after a couple of autocross runs.

Pedal doesn't seem to stiff in any of it's range, but I'll check things out under there and see if I can move the connection point.

Thanks guys.

sofakingdom 05-05-2006 09:51 AM

Your description of the noise doesn't sound like a throwout to me.

Sounds more like the normal noise that all the gears and shafts inside the transmission make when they're connected to the engine and all churning around.

Throwouts have ZERO load with the pedal not pushed. They are loaded when the pedal is pushed. Therefore a bad throwout is almost always quiet with the pedal out, and noisy when the pedal is pushed. The most common noise they make is a loud squeal or shriek when you push the pedal.