Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   EASY T56 clutch fork and throwout bearing questions (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/647651-easy-t56-clutch-fork.html)

mike_c 04-07-2012 09:47 PM

EASY T56 clutch fork and throwout bearing questions

4 Attachment(s)
Is this how the fork sits on the pivot?
Attachment 372304

Or is it supposed to be like this:
Attachment 372305

Is the fork supposed to be in the throwout bearing like this?
Attachment 372306

Or behind it like this:
Attachment 372307

antoine 04-08-2012 01:08 AM

Re: EASY T56 clutch fork and throwout bearing questions

Your first pictures are correct

jbradhill 01-08-2013 09:20 PM

... a new question if I can.
The 1st picture shows the clutch fork with a clip that holds the fork in place. I just bought a used t56 which was a swap from a 700R4. I had never installed or worked on a manual transmission before and had only the basic understanding of how it all worked. So this has been a good learning experience. ....
But the transmission I bought did not have the clip on the fork. Unfortunately, I didn't know it was supposed to have one. That would explain why it was so loose when I was installing and when I placed the slave cyliner on it. So now I know why. If the slave cylinder does not maintain pressure on the fork it is going to slide down til it hits the bell housing (move about 1/2" out of position)

Question: Can I change a clutch fork without removing the tranny? I am thinking I might be able to loosen the pivot bolt that holds the fork in place and then pull the fork out and replace.

jbradhill 01-14-2013 02:01 PM

Actually after further reveiw, I found that I do have the pivot clip on the clutch fork. The real question (challenge/problem) is .... after the tranny/bell housing is bolted to the engine, I believe you somehow slide the fork onto the throw out bearing and at the same time slide the clip over the Pivot "T-Pin". Sounds simple enough, but I have been unable to get the clip to climb over the top, it keeps sliding under....

Anyone have any tips on how to get the clop over the pivot?

LilSki 01-15-2013 07:21 AM

Just bend it up a bit to make sure it goes over and not under.

jbradhill 01-16-2013 06:38 AM

OK, so with the tranny bolted to the bellhousing, I can't get anything in there to bend the clip up. So I am planning on removing the tranny, placing the fork on w/clip and reinstalling. I am hoping that the fork will still pivot enough to allow it to mate to the throw out bearing as I install.

Unless I get better advice today, that's my plan:confused: