Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   need advice (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/652086-need-advice.html)

TAG305 05-22-2012 11:16 AM

need advice

ive got a 3.23 in my 95 camaro posi rear end and i just picked up a series 3, 3.73 ring and pinion would i be able to just swap the ring and pinion with out any adjustments or over hauling it? its a gm ring and pin

J91 05-22-2012 02:27 PM

Re: need advice

Originally Posted by TAG305 (Post 5280944)
ive got a 3.23 in my 95 camaro posi rear end and i just picked up a series 3, 3.73 ring and pinion would i be able to just swap the ring and pinion with out any adjustments or over hauling it? its a gm ring and pin

No, it is not that simple, do a thread search. everything needs to be realigned, is it a series 2 or 3 carrier? There are many variables, start reading. Knowledge saves $$$, time and heartache....

TAG305 05-22-2012 09:34 PM

yes its a series 3 carrier i know what im supose to do like set back lash with a dial indicator repace all the bearing and check pinion depth and the gear contact but im wondering if it would be possible to take cheap way cause cant afford overhaul or dial indicator or should just wait

J91 05-23-2012 06:34 AM

Just wait and do it right, 10 bolts w/ 7 5/8" are extremely tricky to get right, it's not something you want to have to do again....

TAG305 05-23-2012 11:55 AM

ok thanks thats what i was asking any certain places for over haul kits that are good?

91phoenix 05-23-2012 12:19 PM

You might end up needing an overhaul kit anyways after you try to have the pinion removed. It may not be reusable. This would mean a kit. When you start with a kit a good starting point is to match what was there to start and adjust from there. Do a search. Somebody on here suggested taking that old pinion bearing and very slightly opening up the inside so it would slide off and on for checking then using the new one when you have everything set properly.
This is not necessarily rocket science or vodoo but must be done properly. It has been suggested in some threads that the 10 bolt should be set up on the tighter end of the clearance range. I have no specific knowledge to know if this is a better idea or not but they are still saying to be within spec.
This is from all the searches and threads I have read on it.

J91 05-23-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by TAG305 (Post 5282095)
ok thanks thats what i was asking any certain places for over haul kits that are good?

Jegs or Summit carry kits made by Richmond, plus their own brands. I am sure there are many others too. I've always used the Richmond kits w/ no problems at all....