Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Has Anyone Tried the 700R4 Close-Ratio Planet (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/666971-has-anyone-tried-700r4.html)

C409 11-15-2012 01:17 PM

Has Anyone Tried the 700R4 Close-Ratio Planet

......... I was wondering if anyone can verify / testify to any significant improvement in ET as a result of using the close ratio input planetary gear-set ... it changes 1st gear to 2.84 from 3.06 and 2nd gear to 1.55 from 1.63 ... sellers claims are a 0.3 - 0.5 second reduction in 1/4 mile ET's .........

Orr89RocZ 11-15-2012 01:23 PM

Re: Has Anyone Tried the 700R4 Close-Ratio Planet

If your converter is sized right you wont be seeing those kind of gains. It will slip well above the rpm drop between gears and maintain powerband imo

It would be nice to have good gear spread but i dont see those et drops happening on a decent stall combination... Say 3500+ stall. i could be wrong but i have never had a problem with the 1-2 shift on my cars using 3200-3600 stall speeds. It be even less noticeable on higher stall speeds

It be similar to guys doin th350 swaps over 700r4 or even 200r4 swaps. I dont think i recall them having huge et drops like that but it really depends on the combination. 14 sec car vs 10 sec car etc

It also may be like gear swapped cars. I ran 4l60e to 12.31 at 109 with 2.73 and 3200 stall. Switched to 3.73 and that should have taken out some of the effects of gear ratio drop between 1st and 2nd but i only gained about 0.1, running lower 12.2's at 110. On side note with same street tires and same 60 fts, i gained 0.3 in 1/8 mile with just a 3200 stall over stock stall. 8.8 to 8.5's and then good tires hooked up bit better to give 8.2's. Then full drag radial and cold air i went 7.7's eventually

Floor guy 11-15-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by C409 (Post 5425096)
......... I was wondering if anyone can verify / testify to any significant improvement in ET as a result of using the close ratio input planetary gear-set ... it changes 1st gear to 2.84 from 3.06 and 2nd gear to 1.55 from 1.63 ... sellers claims are a 0.3 - 0.5 second reduction in 1/4 mile ET's .........

I am sure you saw my build up on the other forum.
I built that trans 3 years ago, and never installed it.
I plan to install it in the next couple of months, and run it when the track opens in March.
Sorry I cant be more helpful that that currently, but all I have now is an opinion of what I hope to gain, and another opinion of the gearset quality.
vrodpete@msn.com is my e-mail addy. Send me your e-mail, and I will update you when I can.

C409 11-16-2012 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Floor guy (Post 5425229)
I plan to install it in the next couple of months, and run it when the track opens in March.
Sorry I cant be more helpful that that currently, but all I have now is an opinion of what I hope to gain, and another opinion of the gearset quality.
vrodpete@msn.com is my e-mail addy. Send me your e-mail, and I will update you when I can.

..... Thanks Pete , I did see your build ... 5 part series ... I'm mainly concerned with the 2000 rpm drop between gears at the strip ... and , since I just lost the 3-4 clutch pack and have to go in anyway I was looking at all the options for improving the tranny's performance .... if $$$ wasn't an option , I'd go for it just for comparo's ... What is your opinion of the Quality ? ... It can't be all bad if you put it in one of your own trannys .... PM me please ........ Thanks , Bob ...

Ozz1967 10-06-2013 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Floor guy (Post 5425229)

A little old thread, but were you ever able to get the transmission installed and run? I am also in need of rebuilding my transmission...soon-ish and think this would be a fantastic upgrade for my 700R4. I'd love to hear what your update is.

C409 10-06-2013 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967 (Post 5647247)
A little old thread, but were you ever able to get the transmission installed and run? I am also in need of rebuilding my transmission...soon-ish and think this would be a fantastic upgrade for my 700R4. I'd love to hear what your update is.

..... I decided to go with a 4L60e and spent the money on a Rossler trans brake instead ... and a TCI/TCU to control it ..... Hey Pete ... did you get that trans on the track yet ?