Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   9" Rear End, the hard way. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/671895-9-rear-end-hard.html)

88gunmetalgta 01-29-2013 08:05 PM

9" Rear End, the hard way.

So I'm looking over my choices for 9" rear end options, and I'm not too happy with any particular one. So here's what I'm thinking so far:

I like the Strange engineering stamped housings, but currie makes some reasonably priced ones too. The PN on the strange unit is H1115. $439

Strange's axles are pretty decently priced too. PN P3104, $396

The main reason I don't want to buy a moser is the bracketry is no better than factory. RaceCraft sells their brackets separately. http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=706 $235

Torque arm mounting is easy. I will either go with a Midwest Chassis torque arm, or fab my own. For the mounts, it only takes a couple tabs such as these. http://ballisticfabrication.com/Axle...om_p_1446.html 2 @ $.99

For brakes, I will pick up a set of explorer 11" rear brakes from a scrapyard should be less than $150

Center section. Nodular iron center chunk, Richmond Gear 3.80:1 ring and pinion, 31 spline detroit locker, used. Undisclosed source since stock seems to be running low O.o . $665

Total is around $1900 less shipping and welding wire.

If you have a 9" and didn't simply buy it, post up! Lets see some pics too!

AlkyIROC 01-29-2013 08:38 PM

Re: 9" Rear End, the hard way.

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5476719)
For the mounts, it only takes a couple tabs such as these. http://ballisticfabrication.com/Axle...om_p_1446.html 2 @ $.99

You're going to want something a whole lot stronger than that. There's a reason companies like Currie sell a heavy, beefy mount with thick tubes that get welded onto the housing. Little tabs like that wouldn't even survive ladder bars or 4-link tubes. The stresses put on the mounts are far greater than you realize.

The Currie mount is/was around $150. I don't know if they still offer it. Here's a link showing the bracketry.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=1769

88gunmetalgta 01-29-2013 09:10 PM

^ I'll definitely work with bigger tabs than that. I can easily make my own if it comes to that. Moser's mounts use a single 5/8" grade 8 bolt in tension. Since the torque arm style I'll be working with will have a rod end up there, I'd rather put it in double shear. The tabs will have to have a much wider base so I can get 6-8" of weld down both sides of each tab.

I'll definitely be able to find something in here that will work. http://ballisticfabrication.com/Link-Brackets_c_24.html

Here's an example of the MWC torque arm. I'll be using a shorter tunnel mount tq arm, but the axle end will be similar.
http://midwestchassis.com/uploads/3/...83/2838871.jpg

big gear head 01-30-2013 07:16 AM

Better watch this. You don't want to be like this guy. Some people should not be allowed to touch a welder.

88gunmetalgta 01-30-2013 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 5476971)
Better watch this. You don't want to be like this guy. Some people should not be allowed to touch a welder.

What reason do you have to doubt my welding skills? ;)

big gear head 01-30-2013 08:25 AM

I don't know you and you don't know me. I don't know your skills and you don't know mine. Better to be safe and risk offending someone than to let them hurt themselves or someone else. Whoever welded the brackets on this guy's rear end should not ever be allowed in the same room with a welder again. If you are a good welder then that's great. I hope it goes well for you. :thumbsup:

Edwardgp 01-30-2013 08:44 AM

:huh::huh::huh:

88gunmetalgta 01-30-2013 08:52 AM

Soo... Does anyone here run a stock suspension 9" that wasn't bolt in?

big gear head 01-30-2013 04:22 PM

I narrowed a truck 9 inch for a 3rd gen several years ago for someone, but he welded all of the brackets on himself. He cut the brackets off of his 10 bolt and transfered them to the 9 inch. I don't know what he did about the torque arm. I didn't see that part of it.

AlkyIROC 01-30-2013 05:30 PM

My first 9" came out of a 1970 F100. I bought aftermarket axles and used ford drum brakes. I cut all the mounts off a 10 bolt and welded them onto the 9" for the shocks, springs and panhard bar. To eliminate the torque arm, I installed ladder bars but had to modify the floor to make them fit under the floor.

I now have a narrowed 9" with a back half and 4-link suspension.

88gunmetalgta 01-30-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 5477458)
My first 9" came out of a 1970 F100. I bought aftermarket axles and used ford drum brakes. I cut all the mounts off a 10 bolt and welded them onto the 9" for the shocks, springs and panhard bar. To eliminate the torque arm, I installed ladder bars but had to modify the floor to make them fit under the floor.

I don't suppose you'd recommend I go that route, instead of keeping the torque arm?

I think I've seen your ladder bar setup in an old thread somewhere, and it did look pretty good.

I don't have the budget for a backhalf yet, so I'm hoping for input from those who are familiar with the stock setup.

I also want to narrow the rear end a couple inches so I can go with a wheel with a decent lip on it. Has anyone put in a rear axle is shorter than the stocker? How narrow can I get until I run into problems with brake and LCA interference?

AlkyIROC 01-30-2013 08:11 PM

To properly narrow a diff, changing the ends etc, you should be using some sort of alignment jig. I straightened my housing after all the welding I did to it with a big press at work.

Converting to ladder bars isn't recommended for street use. No matter what kind of suspension conversion you try to do, it will require some sort of fabrication work. My ladder bars went through the floor so I had to section the floor for them to pass through. Since I didn't have rear seats, it wasn't a big deal. The floor of a third gen sits a lot lower than a full frame car making suspension changes very difficult.

There are some aftermarket LCA which sort of work like very short ladder bars however without any kind of adjustments, it's unlikely you'll see any gains from using them plus they're very short compared to real ladder bars.

The whole idea of having adjustable suspension is to be able to tune the suspension to different track conditions. Stock suspension has no adjustments but an aftermarket torque arm can allow pinion angle changes and LCARB gives a couple of options for the LCA angle.

Ladder bars have 3 or 5 different front mount locations to raise or lower the IC plus can adjust the pinion angle.

4-link is the best since it gives you a lot of different IC locations however only a small handful are in a sweet spot.

TTOP350 01-30-2013 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5476775)
^ I'll definitely work with bigger tabs than that. I can easily make my own if it comes to that. Moser's mounts use a single 5/8" grade 8 bolt in tension. Since the torque arm style I'll be working with will have a rod end up there, I'd rather put it in double shear.

Excuse the bottom of the car, the factory undercoating got soaked in trans fluid when it blewup a few years ago..
I have a moser 9" rear in my car. Which mount are you talking about that uses a single 5/8" bolt??

Attachment 355107

88gunmetalgta 01-30-2013 09:45 PM

I didn't realize there were 3 bolts from tq arm to axle housing.

88gunmetalgta 01-30-2013 09:48 PM

Alky, that's the reason I'm shying away from my bolt in options, adjustability. IMO it makes no sense to pay a premium for some thing that bolts in but still doesn't do everything I want it to do. I'd still need LCARBS. The racecraft brackets have multiple LCA holes, and of course the torque arm will be adjustable.

vetteoz 01-30-2013 11:07 PM

Homemade same but different

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...psa613e4ab.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...psa0a25d35.jpg

88gunmetalgta 01-31-2013 01:11 PM

I like that it bolts to the pinion support too, but so far all of the aftermarket torque arm mounts are supposed to adapt to a stock style torque arm, and all of the aftermarket torque arms are supposed to bolt to a stock rear end.

Here's what I'm talking about doing:
http://midwestchassis.com/uploads/3/...83/4655114.jpg

87350IROC 01-31-2013 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5478224)
I like that it bolts to the pinion support too, but so far all of the aftermarket torque arm mounts are supposed to adapt to a stock style torque arm, and all of the aftermarket torque arms are supposed to bolt to a stock rear end.

Here's what I'm talking about doing:
http://midwestchassis.com/uploads/3/...83/4655114.jpg

Yikes, how thick is that metal the tabs are welded to?

I like vetteoz's solution the best so far. It ties into as many places as possible.

88gunmetalgta 01-31-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 87350IROC (Post 5478375)
Yikes, how thick is that metal the tabs are welded to?

I like vetteoz's solution the best so far. It ties into as many places as possible.

Thats the Midwest Chassis Fab 9! I would venture a guess they're thick enough.

Here's the Quick Performance housing. Do you think these tabs are quick enough?

http://quickperformance.com/Products.../qp_fbody1.gif

87350IROC 01-31-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5478402)
Thats the Midwest Chassis Fab 9! I would venture a guess they're thick enough.

Here's the Quick Performance housing. Do you think these tabs are quick enough?

I made no mention of the thickness of the tabs. It is the thickness of the material the tabs are welded to that I am wondering.

TTOP350 01-31-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by vetteoz (Post 5477774)

Has this been put in the car and run with slicks yet?

88gunmetalgta 01-31-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 87350IROC (Post 5478407)
I made no mention of the thickness of the tabs. It is the thickness of the material the tabs are welded to that I am wondering.

Ahh I misread. That would depend on the thickness of the housing. 10ga or 1/8" I'm sure. Think I would be better off with a truss setup? Is there room over the top of the axle for a truss?

87350IROC 01-31-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5478429)
Ahh I misread. That would depend on the thickness of the housing. 10ga or 1/8" I'm sure. Think I would be better off with a truss setup? Is there room over the top of the axle for a truss?

If its 1/8" I'm sure that would be fine. I would have expected it to be a lot thinner. 1/8" steel is heavy.

AlkyIROC 01-31-2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5478402)

Those tabs are a lot bigger than the tabs you listed above. Also, the tab thickness should be at least 1/4" thick.

88gunmetalgta 01-31-2013 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 5478481)
Those tabs are a lot bigger than the tabs you listed above. Also, the tab thickness should be at least 1/4" thick.

These are the ones I've been envisioning. Just couldn't find the exact ones from ballistic. How do these suit you?

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/..._Code=Linktabs

vetteoz 01-31-2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 5478410)
Has this been put in the car and run with slicks yet?

Behind a twin turbo LT1 ZF6 manual in a 10 sec Vette
Owner replaced the Vette IRS with the 9", coil overs and a full length torque arm like used on 3rd Gens

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps399e86ce.jpg

AlkyIROC 01-31-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5478485)
How do these suit you?

Those tabs would be a lot more acceptable.

88gunmetalgta 01-31-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 5478676)
Those tabs would be a lot more acceptable.

:thumbsup:

Here's a question for ya. Should I get a back brace or not? Within the foreseeable future, I don't plan on putting more than 600 ft lbs of torque down.

AlkyIROC 01-31-2013 08:19 PM

A back brace is always a good option but without an alignment jig, all that welding will pull the tubes out of alignment.

88gunmetalgta 01-31-2013 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC (Post 5478688)
A back brace is always a good option but without an alignment jig, all that welding will pull the tubes out of alignment.

Exactly why its a decision that has to be made now.

Wow, upgrading to a back braced housing from strange adds $160...

TTOP350 01-31-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by vetteoz (Post 5478613)
Behind a twin turbo LT1 ZF6 manual in a 10 sec Vette
Owner replaced the Vette IRS with the 9", coil overs and a full length torque arm like used on 3rd Gens

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps399e86ce.jpg

10-4, I built one like that but broke it 2 times. It pulled out of the pinion housing and broke the case plus the upper mounting points..
I could break a anvil with a feather tho.. :lmao:

Dang, that car is pretty!

big gear head 02-01-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5478696)
Exactly why its a decision that has to be made now.

Wow, upgrading to a back braced housing from strange adds $160...

I've put back braces on a few housings. It's a lot of work fitting it to the housing and a lot of welding too. I'd pay the $160 and be happy.

88gunmetalgta 02-01-2013 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by big gear head (Post 5479019)
I've put back braces on a few housings. It's a lot of work fitting it to the housing and a lot of welding too. I'd pay the $160 and be happy.

I agree it's not a lot extra to pay, but now we're getting into the range where the $2800 price tag on the MWC rear is worth it! Bear in mind you get a moly torque arm and driveshaft loop too

88gunmetalgta 02-01-2013 04:18 PM

Just found out the MWC price includes shipping :thumbsup: Depending on the price of the housing and axles alone, this decision may be a no-brainer!

88gunmetalgta 02-14-2013 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No turning back now! Lol well actually I don't plan on mutiliting the car or 9 bolt in any way, so I guess I could always go back to the 7.5". Nodular case, Daytona support, 3.82 Richmond gears, and a 31 spline Detroit locker.

Attachment 354369

Attachment 354370

brandoz28 02-14-2013 08:56 PM

you're going to need an alignment jig to do it all properly. I would seriously consider at least ordering a bare housing from somewhere and adding brackets to it if you're set on doing it yourself.

the QP housings also have adjustable lower control arm mounts now if that's a sticking point for you on the other ones.

88gunmetalgta 02-14-2013 08:59 PM

I will be ordering a back braced housing with ends installed. All thats left is to weld on brackets, which doesn't need anything fancy for a jig.

88gunmetalgta 02-25-2013 07:46 AM

Random numbers (roughly):

LCA outside to outside: 48"
LCA inside to inside: 43"
Shock CL: 40"
Spring CL: 41" or so.

Good news is the LCA bracket is outboard of the PHB bracket, so brake to PHB clearance isn't as big if a deal as I was thinking. The LCA location leaves 4.5" per side (exactly the BS I want to run, so the control arms will have to be clearanced (By offsets or spacers) the distance of the sidewall to the bead.

It would be nice to use off the shelf LCAs and PHB, but if I have to inboard the brackets at all, I may run out of PHB adjustment depending on my ride height. I guess I'd rather build one PHB than 2 offset LCA's, so inboarding the brackets might be a better option. I'll have to talk to spohn and see what the effective length range of their PHB is and if they can build me a shorter one without completely ripping me off.

88gunmetalgta 11-01-2013 07:09 PM

Well I took the easy way out (kinda). I have a Moser M9 housing on the way from brutespeed. It will be narrowed 2" per side and the LCA brackets will be unwelded. I also picked up a 4L80E, and Moser does not have a bolt in crossmember for it. So I will be getting a handful of unwelded crossmember parts too.

The way it looks, I'll be inboarding the LCA's to between the factory mount location and the factory subframe, about 1 3/4" inboarded per side.

This should be fun.