Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Transmission bolt (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/718806-transmission-bolt.html)

slowboy 05-04-2015 03:39 PM

Transmission bolt

ok...pulling transmission to get to pressure plate and throwout bearing on '90 Camaro...have everything ready to drop transmission...'except'...the top passenger side transmission bolt will not brake loose, and they have that thing tucked away will nice...I've spent 7 hours just today trying to get bolt loose...I even tried an electric impact wrench with extensions...

has anyone ran in to this problem before, and if so, what did you do to remove this bolt?...please
Thank you,
Keith

jmd 05-04-2015 06:10 PM

Re: Transmission bolt

It's no different than the other three bolts. 15mm head, torx (45?) also.

Make sure you're using a thin-wall (non-impact chrome) socket so it's not binding against the case; 3/8 should clear better than 1/2 drive. And as few extensions as possible. With a 10" or longer ratchet, you should be able to break it Once it is a little loose, you can run it out with a torx socket (it typically clears better than the socket.)

EDGE 05-04-2015 08:34 PM

This may sound counterintuitive, but try tightening it just a hair, then try loosening it.

jmd 05-04-2015 09:11 PM

I do that sometimes too. :) Good call.

slowboy 05-05-2015 07:26 AM

I've been using a 3/8" socket all along. I've tried all different combinations of extensions from [1] 24" extension to several small [3"] -[6"] - [10"]. One of my problems is the electric impact wrench I have is bulky and I'm having a hard time getting to the bolt.
I have tried going back and forth with impact wrench [tighten/loosen-tighten/loosen] to try and brake bolt loose. I thought about trying to snug up the loose bolts and try to loosen this 4th bolt to see if that might help.

EDGE 05-05-2015 07:40 AM

Using those extensions on that gun is absorbing all the torque. It'll never crack those bolts like that. I know it's a brutal spot but If you can strip enough of the hoses away can you get a box end wrench on it? If you can you could add a second wrench on top of that and get leverage. I just can't remember if there's room for that. The only other thing would be a 1/2 inch air gun with one extension on it.

Formula 305 05-05-2015 10:24 AM

Not sure if you've tried this, but if you unbolt the crossmember & drop the tail of the trans it'll bring those bolts away from the body & give you a little extra room to work.

EDGE 05-05-2015 03:46 PM

This is a T5? You only have the bell housing to deal with right? Transmission would be out I assume. Drop that engine back (Pull dist cap) and put a 1/2 inch air ratchet on it. If it doesn't come off with that.......

Formula 305 05-05-2015 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE (Post 5912423)
This is a T5? You only have the bell housing to deal with right? Transmission would be out I assume. Drop that engine back (Pull dist cap) and put a 1/2 inch air ratchet on it. If it doesn't come off with that.......

No, the bolt he's trying to remove holds the transmission to the bellhousing

EDGE 05-05-2015 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Formula 305 (Post 5912425)
No, the bolt he's trying to remove holds the transmission to the bellhousing

Ahh, my bad. Had it in my head that it was the top bell housing bolt. Which is a bastard in itself.

EDGE 05-05-2015 06:39 PM

Get a propane torch and heat the area lightly around the bolt. The aluminum will expand faster than the bolt, then rock it back and forth with the impact gun. That should get it out.

sofakingdom 05-06-2015 07:03 AM

Top BH bolt is EEEEEEEEZZZZZZY...

You remove the dist, then reach down in there with a 9/16" box-end wrench while standing next to the fender. Long one to break it loose, as short as possible one to back it out. Pops RIGHT out.

For that matter, OP, since you have to take the BH out ANYWAY to do the clutch, take it out and the trans, together; and separate em laying on the ground.

slowboy 05-07-2015 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys...got it out. Used ratchet and socket while putting hole on the end of my 12" adjustable on end of ratchet handle. was sorta worried that it might break gears in my ratchet, but it held up.
Got bellhousing off, and pulled pressure plate and clutch plate.
Clutch had one of it's springs and a inner spring broken out of plate. It was laying in pressure plate and cover assembly.

Again, Thanks for y'alls help.

slowboy