Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   700R4 2nd gear "kick" (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/728156-700r4-2nd-gear-kick.html)

JoeMama54 01-09-2016 01:26 PM

700R4 2nd gear "kick"

When I bought my 1984 Camaro the seller told me that the trans was recently rebuilt. Ever since driving the car, ive noticed a kick when it shifts into second gear. Its not a violent kick by any means its more of a "boost" feeling which sets you back in the seat. It does it at any speed. I dont have a problem with it, I sort of like it, I was just wondering if that is normal for a healthy transmission or if it is an indicator of something wrong. Cant trust anyones word now a days :/ Thanks guys.

fervernt 01-09-2016 03:35 PM

Re: 700R4 2nd gear "kick"

I know what your talking about, mine does the same on a supposedly recent rebuilt trans. Never found out if it's normal or not but I like it. Just to be safe, might check the trans mount and make sure its not loose and/or broken. Other than that though, I wouldnt worry about it unless someone else chimes in to say otherwise.

rusty vango 01-21-2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMama54 (Post 5994886)
When I bought my 1984 Camaro the seller told me that the trans was recently rebuilt. Ever since driving the car, ive noticed a kick when it shifts into second gear. Its not a violent kick by any means its more of a "boost" feeling which sets you back in the seat. It does it at any speed. I dont have a problem with it, I sort of like it, I was just wondering if that is normal for a healthy transmission or if it is an indicator of something wrong. Cant trust anyones word now a days :/ Thanks guys.

it sounds as if someone added the "corvette servo" when the trans was RB. a pretty common upgrade

JD Z28 01-25-2016 06:18 PM

my car does the same thing on the RB trans which does have the corvette servo. why do the corvette servo make the transmission act in such a way?

Ron U.S.M.C. 01-25-2016 09:00 PM

The servo applies pressure to the the band (referred to as the 2-4 band) because it is applied in 2nd and in 4th gears via the servo.

Ad's pressure so the transmission clutch plates so they grab as apposed to slipping.

Its actually better for the transmission because slippage causes more heat to build.
Heat is what kills a transmission.

With the Corvette servo I put in mine it made the shifts at WOT strong enough to bark the tires.
(you can also feel the car shift just driving around)
I did this before a shift kit because I really did not want to mess with a perfectly good transmission at that level.
The Corvette servo along with the gear ratio change from 2.73 to 3.42 and adding the Eaton posi is exactly what I was looking for.

Here's how I put it in incase any one wants to know.

Link = http://sethirdgen.org/servo.htm

JD Z28 01-25-2016 10:05 PM

Thanks for explaining!

RedLeader289 01-26-2016 01:36 PM

Either a servo or a shift kit or maybe both. Just to echo what's already been said: hard shifts - good, soft shifts - not so good.

Pro Built Automatics 01-27-2016 08:54 AM

To soften the part throttle shift (which I recommend and is much easier on the gear train), you will need to make the 2nd gear feed hole in the separator plate (when using s stock diameter torque converter) to .082" maximum and install a softer spring in the 2nd gear accumulator in the valve body, if there is not one already. The Corvette servo was designed to improve the 2-3 shift at all throttle openings. It also makes the 1-2 shift firmer. My modified TransGo Shift kits address this, and still makes the shift firm at WOT.

Thirdgen89GTA 02-27-2016 12:58 PM

The 700r4 is known for a 1-2 shift bang when cold. The B&M kit just bumps line pressures and exacerbates the issue.

I had the TransGo shift kit with all the little extra goodies in my 700r4 after I rebuilt it. Loved it.

Shifts were civil at part throttle, and fast at WOT. No banging into gear, just positive engagement.