Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Th350 swap nothing but trouble. Help. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/732459-th350-swap-nothing-but.html)

adamcgodby 05-02-2016 09:23 PM

Th350 swap nothing but trouble. Help.

Ok so I decided to go with a th350 trans after toasting my 700r4. After installing the th350 and topping of the fluids (torque converter was filled before mating to trans, and splines were correctly lined up) I took it for a small 1 mile test drive. I got this trans off a buddy of mine who I helped remove and who helped me install it. I rode in his truck with this trans multiple times with no problems. Even rode in it an hour before removing it. With not problems at all. On the test drive I noticed a whining sound coming from the trans. What my thought was the torque converter whining. So go it back home check fluids again was reading a little low but half a quart topped it off. We let it idle for about 5 minutes. And took it for another spin. The transmission shifts smooth as silk but there was still a whining sound at certain rpms/speed depending on what you were looking at. I was sure it was the torque converter going out so I ordered a new one. Which should be here on Thursday. But this past Saturday I took it for its first real drive. About 14 miles one way. And drove it at 45mph around 2200-2300 rpms in high gear. Drive into town was flawless besides the whining at certain rpms/mph. On my way back home everything was fine until a popping noise started (I was still driving same speed and rpms as before) but it wasn't just a popping noise. It was also shuttering. As soon as this happened I pulled over. And hauled it home. I have checked the flex plate bolts. Which are still tight. Actually removed them to insure the torque converter was properly seated with the pump. And it was so reinstalled it to the flex plate. Still the same thing. Popping and shuttering. Even in park at an idle you can hear a small pop. But if I hold the brake and put it in gear it will pop louder then shutter and kill the engine. It will still pull itself but I must continuously give it has to keep it from dying. But it doesn't make pretty sounds when moving it. I also realized that if I hold the rpms at a steady rpm there is no pop (when car is in park or neutral). But if I accelerate from that rpm it will pop a couple times until the rpms are held steady again. I started my car up at idle by myself and go underneath it. The sound is defiantly coming from either the torque converter or front pump. Any suggestions as to what to do or what may have caused this to happen? Thanks in advance -Adam

rsrmoore 05-02-2016 10:21 PM

Re: Th350 swap nothing but trouble. Help.

Have you checked the u-joint at the Trans yoke? If it were that it should do it all the time.

adamcgodby 05-02-2016 10:23 PM

Due to the fact that I got a th350 with a 9" tail shaft I didn't have to change it so it should still be good. But I will check to see if it is rubbing anything. But how would that cause my car to stall and die.

Ryan Gioupis 05-03-2016 02:02 AM

you sure your starter isnt stuck in the flex plate

redneckjoe 05-03-2016 04:29 AM

did you use the th350 converter?

how did you end up installing the torque arm?

what shifter are you using?

just tossing a few questions out there.