Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Hurst Shifter for T5 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/747269-hurst-shifter-t5.html)

hoogiez28 09-06-2017 08:37 AM

Hurst Shifter for T5

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I live in Canada, and the opportunity to buy parts like this not from the US appears to be rare.

I've tried doing some research, but it appears they don't make these anymore? Is this a billet short throw shifter?

Is this unit any good? Should I be concerned about anything if I buy it sight unseen? Does anyone have any pictures of this unit in their car?

I've also been looking at the popular pro 5.0, but would have to order it from the states. What do you all think/ recommend?

Thanks in advance!

gt4373 09-06-2017 09:47 AM

Re: Hurst Shifter for T5

I May Be Wrong ,But I Thought The Hurst Came With A Straight Stick For The T5.

Drew 09-06-2017 10:01 AM

That's a Hurst Competition Plus shifter. The base, or at least the important part of the base is cast aluminum. That one looks to be the later style with a plate aluminum flange, and cast body. Hard to tell from the pics, but it might be a Mustang shifter. If so it won't bolt to the f-body trans.

They're not a bad shifter, positive stops and smooth shifter, but not as bulltproof as a Pro-5.0 or Hurst Billet Plus. They weren't expensive new. They dumped a ton of them on Ebay when Hurst and B&M merged.

hoogiez28 09-06-2017 10:43 AM

The guy selling tells me he had it on his '86 Z28. He's looking for best offer. Worth $100 to $150? Not sure if I should take the chance, or just bite the bullet and go for a new shifter!

Abubaca 09-06-2017 11:28 AM

I've been a die hard fan of the Pro 5.0 shifter. Used em on both my t5 and now my TKO. Can't say anything bad about that hurst, but ya can't go wrong with a Pro 5.0.

Abubaca 09-06-2017 11:32 AM

...that being said if you DO buy this one and don't like the lever part, I have a shorter hurst stick with only a .5" taper backwards. It's more less straight up and down. ...if you're interested.

hoogiez28 09-06-2017 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!!!

Drew 09-06-2017 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by hoogiez28 (Post 6167119)
The guy selling tells me he had it on his '86 Z28. He's looking for best offer. Worth $100 to $150? Not sure if I should take the chance, or just bite the bullet and go for a new shifter!

Uhh no. Pretty sure they didn't run $150 new, and technology has moved on. The bare shifter base is probably worth about $50. The chrome stick and ball are probably worth about the same money, if they are what you'd buy anyway. Super Good-Guy swap meet price, I wouldn't pay over $75 for the package. Also, it might not matter, but IIRC those Hurst shifters use 3/8" bolts for the shift lever, so anything other than a Hurst won't fit without opening the holes.

FWIW, I sold the Comp Plus I had on my Mustang and bought a Pro-5.0. The Comp was smooth, fantastic shifts, but it felt weak and clearly lacked the built like a tank build quality of the Pro-5.0. Even tho the Pro-5.0 is a bit notchy, it's just soooo solid.