Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Whats the name of this metal support around my driveshaft? 89' Iroc-Z (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/753252-whats-name-metal-support.html)

suchamoneypit 05-17-2018 04:19 PM

Whats the name of this metal support around my driveshaft? 89' Iroc-Z

2 Attachment(s)
EDIT: The two bolts holding on the Torque Arm are 21mm. According to this video

Its an 89' IROC-Z camaro. 5.0L TPI engine.

Im trying to find the bolt sizes to remove these two large bolts for a large metal brace around the driver side of my driveshaft. Looking online I can't find anything about what this is. Videoes show Camaros without it, and the repair manual for my generation its never even mentioned. I've tried a bunch of different sockets that fit snug but not perfect, and they are very rusted on. I do not want to further strip these bolts, I need to know what this part is so I can hopefully figure out what bolts it is. Any help greatly appreciated. Bolts will be soaking in WD-40 until someone can hopefully point me in the right direction.

Attachment 459471
Attachment 459472

Ty92Z 05-17-2018 04:36 PM

Re: Whats the name of this metal support around my driveshaft? 89' Iroc-Z

What you’re referring to is the torque arm.

sofakingdom 05-17-2018 05:12 PM

Why are you trying to remove it? (maybe there's a better way to do whatever you're really trying to acomplish)

suchamoneypit 05-17-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ty92Z (Post 6222848)
What you’re referring to is the torque arm.

Thank you

suchamoneypit 05-17-2018 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom (Post 6222854)
Why are you trying to remove it? (maybe there's a better way to do whatever you're really trying to acomplish)

Restoring an old car, brake and fuels lines very rusted and need replacing. Figure if im replacing all the lines I might as well convert the rear to disk brakes now to save me the trouble and cost later as its one of the first mods I wanted to do when its running. Its my plan to swap it with a disc brake rear end.

Drew 05-17-2018 08:36 PM

Disconnect the torque arm from the tailshaft, and roll the entire rear out from under the car. Then you can see what you're doing, and get right at it. The longest breaker bar I've got, and a nice heavy rubber mallet to pop the breaker bar, usually gets em done. Pretty sure they're somewhere around 21mm.

John in RI 05-21-2018 11:40 PM

13/16 wrench on the top,... Maybe another wrench hooked at the end for added leverage.

13/16 socket, 3/4" breaker bar and extension pipe, turns em' right off every time !

The rear suspension will need to be at just about full travel to be able to remove the bolts. The flange-end of the rear will want to point itself 'up', while releasing the torque arm from the diff,..... so adjust the floor jack a little up/down till you find the 'sweet-spot' and the bolts can be pulled out the top easily.

:driving: