Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   rebuilding my WC T5 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/753866-rebuilding-my-wc-t5.html)

NONGRATA 06-12-2018 09:53 AM

rebuilding my WC T5

Anyway I can make it stronger than stock?

Tools I need? best kits?Thanks

PurelyPMD 06-12-2018 11:27 AM

Re: rebuilding my WC T5

Add a 6 to the end.

NONGRATA 06-12-2018 11:27 AM

you can do that? looking into it rn

PurelyPMD 06-12-2018 04:16 PM

Seriously, there isn't really anything you can do to make it stronger - the case is the weak point and will flex on you.

Swap in a T56 or live with it.

NONGRATA 06-12-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD (Post 6228487)
Seriously, there isn't really anything you can do to make it stronger - the case is the weak point and will flex on you.

Swap in a T56 or live with it.

Might live with it. High alloy gears

jmd 06-12-2018 08:28 PM

high alloy gears don't solve the ACTUAL problem(s) with the T5. Coarse tooth revised gear ratios don't either.

Marketing by Ford Motorsports that FINALLY giving the T5 the V8 ratios (AGAIN; they had them in the early 80s) doesn't mean it is stronger than the SAME ratios and gears used in the 88-92 GM V8 T5.

I could maybe see doing the tapered roller bearing at the mainshaft pinion end but a lot of the rest of the stuff . . . is fluff.

sofakingdom 06-12-2018 09:18 PM

High alloy gears
Waste of money.

If the case doesn't hold them in the correct orientation, they'll EAT themselves.

THE CASE is the weak point. Nothing else matters. Unless you replace THE CASE with something that doesn't stretch and flex, it is all in vain.

Don't put A DIME into a T-5. Keep it all in your pocket until such time as there's enough in there for a T-56. EVERY PENNY you spend on that T-5 just puts the final solution to your problem ONE PENNY further out of reach.

luvofjah 06-13-2018 07:35 AM

Check out Astro Performance in Florida.
They sell parts, kits or whole upgraded T5's...
Their gears are thicker (stronger) and have less angle (causes less flexing force).
Depends what your goals are power wise & use... I did upgrade to GForce case (stronger than stock), they have cars running in the 10's with their Astro A5 setups... I'm happy with mine... It's about 4 lbs heavier than stock T5 and bolts right in...

robertfrank 06-16-2018 07:44 PM

You can make it stronger but how much stronger depends on what the transmission is behind. I just rebuilt my T5 myself and it was actually very simple with the right tools. To help with the flexing in the case I bought the steel counter shaft plate from www.5speeds.com. the creator of the plate literally wrote the book on the T5. From what I've read a T5 can take some punishment with GForce gears and the steel counter shaft plate but the cost of the GForce gears is ridiculous and money better spent on a good working T56 or swapping to a TKO T5.

Granny 06-17-2018 11:16 AM

Less angle on the gears, stronger case, reinforcement plate, V8 ratios. Not much more that you can do to make the T5 itself stronger, but there is another way to get more power thru any T5- add a device to control the hit of the clutch!

Adding the ability to control the hit of the clutch makes it possible to significantly reduce the impact of inertia on the gearset/case when you launch the car. At the same time it actually makes the car quicker by increasing the amount of power that the engine is able to produce. Also increases the overall amount of torque that you can put thru the transmission on the shifts.

If at some point you were to decide to upgrade to a TKO or T56, that same device would improve their power handling capabilities as well.

Grant