Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   Vss help (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/754603-vss-help.html)

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 04:33 PM

Vss help

Ok I have a 1990 camaro it had a tbi 305 in it and a t5 I swapped engines and had my t5 freshened up but the tranny shop (lost) my vss I'm having some real trouble find any info on where to purchase one the last thread I seen was in 2013 so maybe someone knows a vendor or a website that makes them again I read that their discontinued sc40 pn any help would be appreciated but if not junkyard it is

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 04:36 PM

Re: Vss help

You will have to track down a used one. Post a ad in the wanted classifieds section.
Not sure if this site has it in stock or not since it’s been discontinued.
https://www.stockwiseauto.com/standa...e-speed-sensor

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 05:29 PM

Thanks for trying but I looked all over the internet the local junkyards have no 90s camaros has anyone heard of just plugging it with a 22mm plug and same with the bolt hold down(if it goes through the tail housing)I really hope Home Depot lowes or some kind of store that has it .so plug it?

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 05:33 PM

You might find a expansion plug like a freeze plug at Napa. The down fall is when you come down to a stop idle may surge or the engine might die with the lack of vss signal.

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 05:35 PM

https://m.ebay.com/itm/22mm-0-86-Fre...0.H0.X22m.TRS0

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 05:46 PM

Forgot to mention the cars going to be a carbed 383 I'm leaving the ecu and everything attached hoping it'll still work lol

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 05:47 PM

I was also wondering why it has threads all the vss I see have no kind of thread by the looks of it

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 05:51 PM

I forgot to add the vss is used for your speedometer. I’d hound the shop that lost it to find it or get you a used on somehow.

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbonanmis (Post 6235841)
I was also wondering why it has threads all the vss I see have no kind of thread by the looks of it

I’m not sure, if you do use a expansion plug I’m sure with some rtv would seal the hole.

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 05:53 PM

Freeze plugs wouldn't be a great idea just because the case is aluminum not trying to bang on it but the freeze plug expander is a pretty good idea I'm just wondering if it's small enough to go in and expand Man what a bummer

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 05:55 PM

Yea definitely about to go up there and whoop some *** but honestly I thought finding one would be no big whoop guess so

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 05:56 PM

It’s a hard find for sure. A rubber expansion plug might work but the rubber might leak after awhile since it might not be oil resistant.

Modify Heavily 07-13-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbonanmis (Post 6235823)
Ok I have a 1990 camaro it had a tbi 305 in it and a t5 I swapped engines and had my t5 freshened up but the tranny shop (lost) my vss I'm having some real trouble find any info on where to purchase one the last thread I seen was in 2013 so maybe someone knows a vendor or a website that makes them again I read that their discontinued sc40 pn any help would be appreciated but if not junkyard it is

Contact Hawks Motorsports in Easley, S.C. If anyone has the correct part it will be them.

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Modify Heavily (Post 6235851)
Contact Hawks Motorsports in Easley, S.C. If anyone has the correct part it will be them.

I didn't call but looked online and nothing

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 06:21 PM

And the plug wouldn't be there for long until I find one but what about getting one off an 89 just to plug the hole the local yard has a 1989 t5 camaro I might be able to rob it if it's still there

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 07:00 PM

Update the tranny shop gave me the number to the employee that did my tranny and said he's no longer an employee with us mind you this is a family shop and this was the son lol got ahold of him and said he doesn't have mine but can get me one from the dealership for 75 bucks but I'd have to pay him tonight what dealer is open this late man this guy thinks I'm a fool I know nothing but his name and said he was broke and couldn't get it himself yea I'm gonna pass lol

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 07:04 PM

Lol great story

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance (Post 6235873)
Lol great story

on the other note do you think the 89 idea would work??

Tuned Performance 07-13-2018 07:10 PM

I’m not sure, maybe member drew will chime in I think he knows.

Jimbonanmis 07-13-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance (Post 6235875)
I’m not sure, maybe member drew will chime in I think he knows.

hopefully gonna hit the yard tomorrow

Modify Heavily 07-13-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbonanmis (Post 6235857)

I didn't call but looked online and nothing

Yeah they mostly put new stuff on the website but if you call them and tell them what you need they should have it. When you call, ask for one of the tech guys.
But as far as just plugging the hole with a different one, any one that fits the hole would be fine temporarily, but just remember your speedometer most likely is not going to work.

Drew 07-13-2018 10:55 PM

Camaros don't use the VSS on the transmission until 1990, so you'll have to find a 90-92. Might be able to use one from an 86-89 Firebird with a T5 if the car doesn't have the base model gauge cluster. 90-92 Firebird use the same sensor as the Camaro if you can find one.

The T5 VSS is discontinued, you probably won't find a new one. An NOS part might pop up somewhere, but used is probably the only option.

85Z28NOS 07-14-2018 06:36 AM

I sold mine to a member last year but was wondering why not use one from a 93+ T5 and use a digital dakota box like i did on the T56 swap

Jimbonanmis 07-14-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Modify Heavily (Post 6235901)
Yeah they mostly put new stuff on the website but if you call them and tell them what you need they should have it. When you call, ask for one of the tech guys.
But as far as just plugging the hole with a different one, any one that fits the hole would be fine temporarily, but just remember your speedometer most likely is not going to work.

I know it's not but I just need something to fill it so I can finally get this thing moving

Jimbonanmis 07-14-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6235928)
Camaros don't use the VSS on the transmission until 1990, so you'll have to find a 90-92. Might be able to use one from an 86-89 Firebird with a T5 if the car doesn't have the base model gauge cluster. 90-92 Firebird use the same sensor as the Camaro if you can find one.

The T5 VSS is discontinued, you probably won't find a new one. An NOS part might pop up somewhere, but used is probably the only option.

i thought 89 one would fit the hole knowing that the spedo won't work but I did measure the vss off my 94 2.2 s10 and they seemed to be the same but mind you I didnt pull it out

Jimbonanmis 07-14-2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 85Z28NOS (Post 6235946)
I sold mine to a member last year but was wondering why not use one from a 93+ T5 and use a digital dakota box like i did on the T56 swap

well the vss sends it to my buffer box /ecu so I'd have to pretty much pull the gauge cluster out and put that in at the moment I'm not really worried about it physically working at the moment there is a lot of camaro parts guys around here in Florida but it's going to be a shot in the dark for a 90 vss and I was thinking about just getting those gps spedos

Jimbonanmis 07-14-2018 08:04 AM

And thanks guys for all the good opinions talked to a couple of my buddy's that don't have f body's and they were pretty clueless so the way it's looking today I'm gonna head to the yard grab that vss of the 89 and roughly determine if it'll work then hit a s10 or a 93 version for it then the last option would be finding a freeze plug expander small enough to fit in that tiny hole

Jimbonanmis 07-14-2018 08:06 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...63f8bf73c9.jpgI know it's a tad off just a pain to get a pic lol

Jimbonanmis 07-14-2018 08:33 AM

Anybody know the size of the hold down bolt for the vss ?

Jimbonanmis 07-16-2018 05:09 PM

Alright I solved my problem for now temporarily until I find another vss I ended up hitting the junkyard and found an 89 t5 with the vss cable one but whoever found it before me just yanked the cable right out leaving a pretty big hole in the center so I pulled that out with retaining plate then found a s10 t5 vss but the magnetic version took them both home the 89 fit but the s10 did not so took it to the shop and filled the hole with weld put it back in shaved the hold down alittle then bam fit perfectly and no trans fluid on the ground.still sucks I have no speedo till I find one or maybe Dakota digital has something hopefully this helps someone somehow