Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   480 Trans in a Third Gen (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/758275-480-trans-third-gen.html)

BADMAN 01-04-2019 05:52 PM

480 Trans in a Third Gen

Made the first step in my build by getting LME to build me a LSX440. Going to use a 480 built by Circle D. So, what install issues can I expect as it is larger than a 700R4? Anyone out there done this trans install? Also, thoughts on Circle D as a builder? Thanks.

antman89iroc 01-06-2019 01:12 PM

Re: 480 Trans in a Third Gen

I presume you mean 4L80E trans? I have not done the conversion but am looking into it. I know a lot of builders have used the 400 (the 4L80 is very similar) without issue. It should fit ok but the trans mount needs to move and of course you'll have to deal with the torque arm mount. Also, the 4L80 doesn't have a mechanical speedo output. Since you're going LS you are probably changing gauges anyway. However, if you do need a mech speedo Gearstar Performance has a conversion for it. Zac is very helpful and knowledgeable about this trans.
I currently run a TKO 600 5 speed and it is a very bulky trans. The top is squared off and the top load style shift transmission is tall. The autos are more rounded at the top and lower profile so I do not expect any trans tunnel interference with either a 400 or 4L80. Just trans mount, TA mount and trans controller for the electronic version.

Kingtal0n 01-06-2019 05:42 PM

4l80e isn't really good unless you are pushing 500+ horsepower

its weighs around 250lbs and will cut fuel economy down to around 20mpg in a 3800lb vehicle.

In the 400~ hp range, I stick to 4l60e, even though it sucks, it can last a long time when used properly with OEM ECU + Torque management.

Don't get me wrong the 4l80e is amazing, powerful, robust, perhaps even user friendly to some degree. But it is very heavy and power hungry, so after using it personally in a couple cars I come to realize that its only really 'useful' to have all that robustness when you have more power than you need, and don't care about economy much. That way the 4l80e can absorb whatever it wants and you've still got plenty to spare.

Orr89RocZ 01-06-2019 05:54 PM

Lol a good 440 ls motor will make 600+. Stay away from 60e’s

Kingtal0n 01-06-2019 06:31 PM

Yeah that wasnt for the op it was just a general for everybody bland statement

antman89iroc 01-07-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ (Post 6272749)
Lol a good 440 ls motor will make 600+. Stay away from 60e’s

Yeah for my SBC application there's no advantage (that I know of) in using a 60E over a 700. The only reason to go to the 4L80 is for the torque capacity and that's the only justification for the electronic controller.

Orr89RocZ 01-07-2019 03:14 PM

My 700 did well behind my 383 but it was only for 1600 miles before i sold it. It saw a bunch of passes at 400 whp and couple bottles of nitrous around 500 whp. They can be built. Few vettes are in the 8’s on 60-65e’s but they are huge money and honestly not worth it imo

Kingtal0n 01-07-2019 07:00 PM

Dana at probuilt can build a 700/60e that WILL hold and shift at 550bhp.

Its just going to cost you $3500~ plus a converter

If you only have 400~hp the ideal method is OEM controller with torque management, and a $200 4l60e with a shift kit.
And keep another 60e on the side as a spare ;D

The 4l80e is amazing because it does 1k hp with a $125 shift kit and the trans is only like $400~ from most yards.
Another key to using the 4l80e, just like the 60e, is to keep the OEM controller (factory computer) and use HPtuners to dial it in.
That also gives you the instant map switching (two trans maps) and a bunch of other goodies that are unavailable in aftermarket controllers.

fwiw I love my junkyard 4l80e :D
Its so monstrous it basically became the car. Like I can really hear the transmission, as if it were right next me to me or something. In the car with me.
almost as if I were sitting on top of it.... hmm

https://i.postimg.cc/bN5HrvrR/nofinway.jpg

BADMAN 01-07-2019 08:36 PM

Looking at 700hp with my build. Thanks for all the replies. I’ll post a build thread soon.

antman89iroc 01-08-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n (Post 6273016)

The 4l80e is amazing because it does 1k hp with a $125 shift kit and the trans is only like $400~ from most yards.
Another key to using the 4l80e, just like the 60e, is to keep the OEM controller (factory computer) and use HPtuners to dial it in.
That also gives you the instant map switching (two trans maps) and a bunch of other goodies that are unavailable in aftermarket controllers.

I haven't seen where a stock 4L80 would hold that much power but I'm sure it's more than the stock HP ratings.
In regard to the OEM computer, please elaborate. I run SBC on an ecm which does not have a trans controller. Are you running the factory trans controller without the engine controller. I am under the impression the factory trans controllers need to interface with the engine controller. ?? IOW what is a good stand alone controller?

Orr89RocZ 01-08-2019 08:50 AM

Not sure but you might beable to run a 411 ecm but not sure if that pcm were ever run with 80e’s. The gen iv 58x stuff could be used too. Efi connection 24x 58x ring and cover, with cam sensor kit would do it

i think the 90’s tbi 7427 pcm could do it as well but i dont think it would run port efi.

ebl with port efi mods probably could run electronic trans. Would have to talk to rbob

Kingtal0n 01-08-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by antman89iroc (Post 6273127)
I haven't seen where a stock 4L80 would hold that much power but I'm sure it's more than the stock HP ratings.
In regard to the OEM computer, please elaborate. I run SBC on an ecm which does not have a trans controller. Are you running the factory trans controller without the engine controller. I am under the impression the factory trans controllers need to interface with the engine controller. ?? IOW what is a good stand alone controller?

Thanks for the questions!
First allow me to introduce this guys Colorado/build If you have never seen it (I am guessing not since you are unaware of the potential of the 4l80e)
Just a quick rundown from my understanding over the years, that is a stock turbo 6L (with a cam/spring only) @ 1000rwhp in front of a stock 02-04' 4l80e with nothing more than a trans-go shift kit.
He basically foot braked that thing into the 9's after perhaps ~500 dynojet passes (check out his youtube channel with hundred videos) approaching that power over the course of years with the same transmission.
Jakes (popular 4l80e builder) claims the trans like that will do 750hp easy but apparently its also good at 1k for at least several hundreds of passes when tuned properly.

Hes got a whole wiki thing going,
https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...ans-controller
From above...:
"As the subject says. This is for those guys who are running MegaSquirt, carb or something other than a factory computer for their engines. This write-up is for OPERATION OF THE 4L80E TRANSMISSION. I (Dale Follett) can write up how to make it work on a 4L60e too if theirs enough interest into it. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Colorado inspired alot of folks.
For me the whole idea of even just an 800hp gasoline/methanol using a free engine and a super cheap transmission was like "zomg do eet" I couldn't resist lol

The 4l80e I have now is in my 96' Nissan behind an 04' 5.3 BW Turbo with an 2002 411 PCM from a flex fuel Tahoe (240lb/hr injector compatible), that I performed segment swap on.
It was fairly simple, no trouble, love it. That 411 seems like its just old enough to be simple, and new enough to do lots of the cool things new computers do.

pic for fun :D
https://i.postimg.cc/763HmRZf/transpandropped.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...7dc666817d.jpg

411 in action on the floor so you can see the operating system and year

antman89iroc 01-08-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ (Post 6273132)
Not sure but you might beable to run a 411 ecm but not sure if that pcm were ever run with 80e’s. The gen iv 58x stuff could be used too. Efi connection 24x 58x ring and cover, with cam sensor kit would do it

i think the 90’s tbi 7427 pcm could do it as well but i dont think it would run port efi.

ebl with port efi mods probably could run electronic trans. Would have to talk to rbob

Hmmm... EBL is what I am running now. I will check into this possibility.
And King I appreciate the post and will look into the info provided as well. So far I have been considering some of the Etrans controllers like TCI and others. Looks like $6-800 for a stand alone trans controller is the going rate. But if a slightly modded 4L80 with a good converter will hold the power it may be the best approach. Gearstar can do a built 4L80, Yank converter for nitrous and controller for around $5k. Probably piece it together for a little less.
400 is so tempting for the cost but I don't know if I'd like losing the OD and no lock up for the street.

Kingtal0n 01-08-2019 03:29 PM

The converter is the most important part of any entire build.

I wouldn't have even considered an auto unless there were companies such as Yank that produce such high quality units.

definitely just encouraging individuals to put the $$ where it counts the most

BADMAN 01-13-2019 02:35 PM

Engine HP will be 700-725FWHP. Want a strong and robust trans, that's why I was looking at the 4l80e. Mostly concerned about fitment in tunnel area. Already have a UMI cross mount weld-in torque arm setup to eliminate the cross member/rear tail shaft set up. Most likely using the Holley Dominator Computer setup for the car. As for builders in the Houston area, I'm open to suggestions. Your experiences, customer service, quality, etc.

QwkTrip 01-18-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BADMAN (Post 6274253)
Already have a UMI cross mount weld-in torque arm setup

Suggest you use something else. I had the UMI piece and removed it within 2 years. It's simply not suitable for street use due to TERRIBLE ground clearance, and the low spot is right smack dab in the middle of the car where ground clearance problems are most detrimental.