Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Drivetrain (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/)
-   -   3.31 Gears for Track Use (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/761968-3-31-gears-track.html)

JonJon5.0 06-10-2019 09:45 AM

3.31 Gears for Track Use

How can I go about putting in 3.31 Gears and using my T5 that is Rebuilt with all brand new drive train components a lot of people tell me ditch the 10 bolt but what I have already works and my rear end is in great shape it just takes FORVER To Rev Up the car is a 91 RS it will have a 5.3 with basically the top half of the engine built heads cam intake ect ect and a 6400 Rpm Redline This is for track racing not drag racing

92RS-HeritageEd 06-10-2019 07:54 PM

Re: 3.31 Gears for Track Use

JonJon I follow a lot of your threads being a noob myself, you throw out some ideas I've never heard of... I say that to say I thought more of you good sir than lashing out like this. There are members on this board ranging from teens to veterans and while we can't control their responses we can control ours. I respect the fact you didn't ask for a punctuation, grammar, or sentence structure lesson BUT if you're going to flame someone, FLAME them and don't pick and choose which words are to be censored. I wouldn't personally flame anyone, even in retaliation, even with a douchebag reply here or a douchebag response there TGO is far to resourceful to get banned.

Back to your topic though, this is the best I could come up with. I'm no expert BUT If it's true i'd go 3.73. Just saw a YouTube vid of two stangs (Like the black one you had) racing, the one with 3.73 gears SMOKED the one w/ 3.31 gears. Don't know if the concept is the same w/ Chevy.

"Original gear ratios range from 2.41:1 all the way up to 4.10:1 in some pickups. All possible differential ratios above 2.73:1 can be swapped without having to change carriers (except for the truck differentials with 30-spline axles). The 8.5-inch will withstand some abuse; it shares the same pinion shaft diameter as the more expensive 12-bolts."

JonJon5.0 06-10-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 92RS-HeritageEd (Post 6307537)
JonJon I follow a lot of your threads being a noob myself, you throw out some ideas I've never heard of... I say that to say I thought more of you good sir than lashing out like this. There are members on this board ranging from teens to veterans and while we can't control their responses we can control ours. I respect the fact you didn't ask for a punctuation, grammar, or sentence structure lesson BUT if you're going to flame someone, FLAME them and don't pick and choose which words are to be censored. I wouldn't personally flame anyone, even in retaliation, even with a douchebag reply here or a douchebag response there TGO is far to resourceful to get banned.

Back to your topic though, this is the best I could come up with. I'm no expert BUT If it's true i'd go 3.73. Just saw a YouTube vid of two stangs (Like the black one you had) racing, the one with 3.73 gears SMOKED the one w/ 3.31 gears. Don't know if the concept is the same w/ Chevy.

"Original gear ratios range from 2.41:1 all the way up to 4.10:1 in some pickups. All possible differential ratios above 2.73:1 can be swapped without having to change carriers (except for the truck differentials with 30-spline axles). The 8.5-inch will withstand some abuse; it shares the same pinion shaft diameter as the more expensive 12-bolts."

Thanks for the response I appreciate the information I will take in to consideration to be Humble Thank You Again

WildCard600 06-10-2019 08:43 PM

3.xx gears are a waste of time. Go 4.56 at least.

AaronIROCZ 06-10-2019 11:32 PM

Ok guy's, I deleted all of the posts that were not relevant to the question that was asked. Keep it civil please! Otherwise we will have to lock this thread.

chazman 06-10-2019 11:40 PM

Why 3.31? 10 bolt has factory 3.23 or 3.42. 9 bolt has factory 3.27 or 3.45. I'd pick one of those.

Tibo 06-10-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by WildCard600 (Post 6307554)
3.xx gears are a waste of time. Go 4.56 at least.

OK, I'll bite. Why would you put 4.56 (at least) behind this car? That gear would be great for the 1/8 mile, stoplight to stoplight or possible autocross but that's it. Without a 6 speed it would be a screamer on the highway and road course speeds. Not to mention it's pretty accepted that the GM ten bolt is weaker with the numerically large gears.

WildCard600 06-11-2019 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6307589)
OK, I'll bite. Why would you put 4.56 (at least) behind this car? That gear would be great for the 1/8 mile, stoplight to stoplight or possible autocross but that's it. Without a 6 speed it would be a screamer on the highway and road course speeds. Not to mention it's pretty accepted that the GM ten bolt is weaker with the numerically large gears.

Sorry, that post didnt age well now that mods cleaned up the thread. I was not being serious.

sofakingdom 06-11-2019 08:29 AM

In the 7.5" 10-bolt, there are 2 carrier "series"; 3.08 and lower, and 3.23 and higher. It's not like the post above.

You probably have 3.08 now, if your gears are original.

There are no 3.31 gears available for your axle AFAIK. 3.23, 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56 are all there is, higher than what you have.

I'd recommend 3.42 or 3.73, depending on your other modifications. Too much gear is as unpleasant as too little; you end up with a jack rabbit from 0 to 30, but can't pass a semi on a 2-lane road at 60 because the motor just simply won't spin any faster. Gear and motor torque curve have to work together.

JonJon5.0 06-11-2019 10:49 AM

I can definitely understand where all you guys are coming from choosing the mid grade gears like 3.42 3.73 ect ect
my Car originally came with 2.73s

Tibo 06-11-2019 07:14 PM

I had a T5 with 3.42 and it was a great gearing. When I had them the speed limit was 65-70 and I was still under 3K rpm. I think highway use at 70 with 3.73 would be OK but I wouldn't go bigger, especially if you live in a state that has 75mph speed limits and everyone goes 80. If your main purpose is road course I would find out what average and top mph are on the track.

While Sofa is here, I've heard that the 5th gear in T5 is a weak point, any truth to that?

sofakingdom 06-13-2019 10:17 AM

5th gear in T5 is a weak point
I think EVERYTHING in a T-5 is a weak point. ;) Although as I understand it, in racing situations where 5th is used such as road courses, it's an issue. Somebody used to offer an upgraded rear bearing retainer for the countergear (which part of 5th rides on) to address this. Maybe JTR but I forget.

91RS5speed 07-13-2019 03:08 PM

It sounds like you still have the stock rear. Go for 3.42 If you still have the stock carrier you will need the thick version of the ring gear. You might want to think about getting a posi carrier as well though It will be the same amount of labor to put one in while you have the gear out.