Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Anyone own a 4 cylinder camaro? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/188911-anyone-own-4-cylinder.html)

pasky 07-02-2003 10:46 PM

Anyone own a 4 cylinder camaro?

Was reading in the Haynes manual and it has instructions on working on the 4 cylinder, I was never aware of a camaro coming with a 4 banger....poor man's camaro?

Cruzin Kaz 07-02-2003 10:47 PM

The "Iron Duke" Yeap they're out there. Do a search on this, should come up with some good info for you.

pasky 07-02-2003 10:54 PM

Didn't find too much with the search on the word "iron duke" other than, "hey, its better than an iron duke" or "My iron duke is better" etc... Well, whats with the name "iron duke" and what years were these produced.

Project: 85 2.8 bird 07-02-2003 11:28 PM

it was tough to kill, just a knck name for it.

Lee7 07-02-2003 11:45 PM

my freinds 82 had an Iron Duke...

he could do better burn outs than my V6 can do :( (Although he was only running 215's on the back)

Project: 85 2.8 bird 07-02-2003 11:49 PM

they also got the 3.73 rears

pasky 07-03-2003 12:00 AM

Wow, anyone got the specs on these? Hell I might go find one just to say I have one...

SSC 07-03-2003 12:28 AM

Originally posted by pasky
Wow, anyone got the specs on these? Hell I might go find one just to say I have one...
Very rare. Most people swaped v8's in em. Ive been looking localy for 5 years for one that hasent been butcherd. I think its going to be more valueable then other models.

TomP 07-03-2003 12:31 AM

The I4's with manual trannies got a 3.73/open/drum rear! Keep your eyes peeled for 'em in the junkyards...

I think the guy named "BillsFirebird" on thirdgen.org has an I-4 in his Camaro... search time!

Cool; I'm right; here's one message by him: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=164544 Do a search on his name and you'll probably find the message he left on the V6 forum, he showed us some engine pics if I remember correctly.

Firebirdjoe 07-03-2003 12:46 AM

For anyone in the OH/KY/IN area who is interested, there is one for sale here on Harrison Ave. It's a 1982 Firebird with a 2.5 "Iron Duke". The guy wants $400 for it, and it runs. Other than that I don't know much about the car. If anyone is interested drop me a line and I'll get the phone number.

unvc92camarors 07-03-2003 08:15 PM

hmm 400$ doesnt sound bad...:cool:
yea i live in reading, just north of cinci
but im not really interested in the 4 banger camaros, atleast not yet
i think my next purchase will probably be a sportbike- im thinking yamaha:D

billsfirebird 07-14-2003 10:48 AM

Originally posted by TomP
The I4's with manual trannies got a 3.73/open/drum rear! Keep your eyes peeled for 'em in the junkyards...

I think the guy named "BillsFirebird" on thirdgen.org has an I-4 in his Camaro... search time!

Cool; I'm right; here's one message by him: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=164544 Do a search on his name and you'll probably find the message he left on the V6 forum, he showed us some engine pics if I remember correctly.

ahem...its a Firebird... thus the screen name, billsfirebird. :doh: :D

For more pictures of my IRON DUKE firebird just go to my website:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/billsfirebird

Yep they made these disgraceful little buggers but hey, its at least a fbody and not a honda.

TomP 07-14-2003 01:15 PM

Haha, I obviously didn't have enough coffee that day! Duh! :D

billsfirebird 07-14-2003 02:48 PM

Haha, I obviously didn't have enough coffee that day! Duh! :D

just trying to give you a hard time. :D :D

TomP 07-14-2003 02:57 PM

LOL, yeah, I figured- and that's like the people I make fun of... the ones that ask me "Is that your Camaro?" when it says Firebird right on the fender. :)

camaro_junkie 07-14-2003 08:00 PM

Wow. I knew there were 4s out there, but... the camaro's just so bloody heavy. I mean no offense, but my 2.8 is only running at about 85% hp and it doesn't move.

Nixon1 07-14-2003 10:22 PM

My friend prides himself in the fact that he blew up an iron duke. 2.5 TBI in an 80-something Chevy S-10. I saw it one day..in its final days...it was pitiful. It sounded like a diesel, shook at idle, and was coughing a mixture of water, oil, and a wee bit of gasoline out of its tailpipe...like someone dying of tuberculosis and coughing up blood. It was pretty sickening. I put my hand in front of his tailpipe and got it splattered within 2 seconds. It was knocking, ticking, and pinging, all at once. I don't remember how he said it died...I think it seized crossing an intersection....either that or just died and refused to start anymore no matter what he did. Took his valve cover off and half an inch of carbon deposits were stacked up between his rocker arms. Not to mention every single rocker was WAY out of adjustment....they were randomly tight and loose...far more of them were loose than tight. One of them, you could almost rock the end right off of the pushrod and yank it out. I have to say.....after my initial reaction of "holy sh*t...what did you do to it??"...I had a nice, long, fulfilling laugh at his expense. :D

ChillPhatCat 07-17-2003 01:08 AM

I've seen one in a paper in california in all my searches through the car ads... and that's a lot of ads... it was going for 2500 in mint condition. Not really a poor man's F-body as opposed to someone after mileage and looks. I hear tale of 35 MPG and a whopping 88-90 Hp... you can find info on them on the tech page on this site in fact...

82sportcoupe 07-17-2003 10:27 AM

I couldve swore that the 4 cylinder/manual tranny camaro's got a 3.42 open rear.:confused:

Doward 07-17-2003 03:15 PM

Nope, they got 3.73 opens :nod:

Jeez... a 4 banger camaro. Course, you could always fuel inject it with some forced induction. LOL :sillylol:

82sportcoupe 07-17-2003 03:30 PM

geez, guess I should chang e my sig then.

billsfirebird 07-17-2003 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Doward
Nope, they got 3.73 opens :nod:

Jeez... a 4 banger camaro. Course, you could always fuel inject it with some forced induction. LOL :sillylol:

I think they all already came fuel injected. My Firebird is a fuel injected 2.5L and it's an 84. Im not sure about 82-83 models, but I thought they all were fuel injected.

84 Challenge 07-20-2003 11:30 AM

I have an 4-cyl in my 84 Camaro. Mine was a completely un-optioned car. No A/C, no radio....no nothing. The past week, I've transferred the gauges, tach, dash and tilt steering column from my Z28 parts car over. Still have power windows/locks, trunk lid motor/wiring and defroster to do. Oh, and all the A/C equipment. It's so much easier to work on, being that a 4-cyl lives under the hood.

Bill....all 4-cyl 3rd gens came with FI according to my literature.

Brandon

84 Challenge 07-20-2003 11:55 AM

Since you said that. Guess I shouldn't swap the nice disk rear out my Z parts car into the Iron Duke?

Brandon

FAST RS 07-20-2003 06:37 PM

When i was at the junk yard a few months ago i saw 4 camaro's with a 4 cylynder in it and there was 1 4 cylynder firebird. They were in the very back nearing the crusher. Those engines look very easy to mod everything is right there you know how when you look down on out v6 and can see the ground for the front of the enigne. imagine what it would look like with a 4 banger. I thought it would be cool to get one and mod the enigne raise the compression and then go race some 4 banger ricers.

Nixon1 07-20-2003 07:48 PM

5 four cylinder F bodies in one location? That's madness! Those are hard to find!!

FAST RS 07-21-2003 12:11 AM

They were in the very back of the junk yard at pick a part in Sun Valley, CA. ITs not the one with the octapus but the other one near the swapmeet for those who know Sun Valley