Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Water Dripping From Exhuast ??? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/227186-water-dripping-exhuast.html)

stuart69427 03-04-2004 05:40 PM

Water Dripping From Exhuast ???

Water is dripping from my exhuast. Once every 5 secs or so from the tailpipe (single tailpipe exhusat :( ) and from the 2 mm hole in the side of the muffler.

I remember knowing at one point what this meant, but can't seem to remember for the life of me what it was.

My car runs rich I think, which causes a rotten egg smell. NEver goes away. Changed cat when failed emmissions, still smells. That was 6 months ago and 18k...

My exhuast is stock except the OEM Replacement Cat. Don't remeber who makes it, but from AutoZone or Advance can't remeber which.

I need a Tech 1 scan tool to find why I am running rich. My 1994 Computer is unique in that I can't pull the codes/ whatnot from the paper clip trick. (I do NOT have a SES light right no, thank ***, that was a pain before)

I need to look at soft codes to find out whats going on. I might be able to get my car on a scan tool at school, but I need a instructor present to use the scan tool, so it would have to be when lab was over.

Any advice? I seached thirdgen.org, camaroz28.com, and camarov6.com with no luck of finding what I was looking for.

MaxxMitchell 03-04-2004 07:10 PM

Ive been told that the cats make the transistion to water. But i got the samething u do, with the driping watter, but i get tablespoons of it in aobut 5mins, but i run no cats:( checked out the fluid and seems like water to me, need to do testing on it:p

I know mines not gas droping out, and that i have about 1/16" of carbon layred in my exhaust

85f-bird 03-04-2004 08:14 PM

did u try to pull the plugs out to see if you're actually runnin rich, and if you're plugs are fouled up? Normally a rotting eggs smell, is a worn out cat, but urs has been replaced...hmmmm, i'm at a loss, get a scan tool, and see about the engine, then get back to us.

pasky 03-04-2004 08:15 PM

Worse comes to worse, pull your spark plugs from the block and crank the engine manually (dont start the car!), give it a few turns on the camshaft bolt in the front of the engine to see if you have any water in there, then drain/replace your oil, see if any water came out.

CaliCamaroRS 03-04-2004 08:17 PM

Water is a byproduct of combustion. 100% normal, don't worry about it.

MaxxMitchell 03-04-2004 08:28 PM

Sounds good to me, dont worry about it:D

but i do worry:rolleyes:

RedTtop5spd 03-04-2004 08:46 PM

if anybody really wants it...pm me and i'll send you the chemical equation for complete combustion. water is created.

stuart69427 03-05-2004 10:09 AM

I forgot to add the important part, that I had the car running while on jack stands to recharge the battery ( I like to listen to music while I work) and I lowered the vechichle in the rear first and about a pint of water poured out the tailpipe! :doh: I don't think thats normal....

Will pull the plugs, they are usually carbon fouled though

its time to change oil anyway, will check to see if its in there!

Thanks for all the help!

juggernaut_69 03-05-2004 10:13 AM

condensation

TomP 03-05-2004 12:26 PM

Yep; that's why there's a hole in the muffler; so that stuff can drip out without rusting the muffler through- granted the muffler rusts out anyway, but it'd rust out much faster if that hole wasn't there. My Megs exhaust tips even have a hole drilled in the bottom of 'em, right before the rolled edge.

stuart69427 03-05-2004 02:26 PM

so this much water isn't anything to worry about, nor the hole in the muffler. Cuase I was wondering how it got there...

85SportCoupeto89RS 03-06-2004 02:49 AM

Try smelling the water thats comming out. If it smells like antifreeze then worry if not then its just condenstation.

UK Speedbird 03-06-2004 07:46 PM

Normal exhausts.

Don’t worry about the water, the pistons compress the air in the cylinder, and when it exhausts it the air cools very quickly (much quicker than when it was compressed) this cooling causes the air to condense out into visible water which usually fills up the rear box. This is why exhausts really rot from the inside and not the other way round! If the outside air temperature is cold enough the air from the exhausts will fall below its dew point and all the water will condense out into the steam like vapor that’s often seen on cold mornings.
This is also why highflying aircraft have a condensation trail behind them, all quite normal and nothing to worry about.

But also a leaking head gasket could produce something like that too, Just check to see if the coolant level is ok. If it's not going down your ok.

Don't know if that helps,but I thought I'd better contribute.

All the best. . . . . Uk Speed.