Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Limited Slip Differential (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/242482-limited-slip-differential.html)

MakeitQuick92RS 05-24-2004 04:11 PM

Limited Slip Differential

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to ask you guys if anyone on here has used an LSD on their V6. I plan on purchasing one from summit racing. The company Eaton makes one that would fit our cars. It's 439 bucks so before i go through i just wanted someone elses thoughts.

"Live Fast Drive Faster":D

AM91Camaro_RS 05-24-2004 05:16 PM

i've got a zexel torsen posi from SLP. it was $120 and i love it!

Gumby 05-24-2004 07:45 PM

I have never used one but that pro trac system I saw on HP TV was cool. It will fit / go into any rear end, no spool chang needed. Its is $4-500 but anyone can do it in a few hr in the drive way. It a neat unit as when turning it will act like a stock peg leg rear, but in a straight line both will lock.

My self I like that the best. Even a limited slip spool can be dangerour in bad weather and a spool n axel change isn't fun or easy.

If that one is similar, the price is about right and worth it.
Post a link to it plz.

vortex 05-24-2004 07:52 PM

MakeitQuick92RS yes, an LSD will help traction issues and for the v8 crowd, the 3.8's respond quite well to having traction, the best would be a spool or a locker, but you lose streetability, so go with a zexel or perhaps a nice protrax.

Xceleratemaro 05-24-2004 08:01 PM

have you thought about a spohn ajustable Torque Arm! or even relocation brackets?

here are some links..http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1300
http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1290

TechSmurf 05-25-2004 01:21 AM

My personal votes go for a zexel or auburn limited slip unit for general street, protrax locker if you're looking for sheer straight line performance. There are other suspension modifications to help keep the wheels squarely attached to the pavement, though. Tubular LCAs + relocation brackets, adjustable torque arm (MAJOR), decent springs, good shocks, etc etc...

(For those of who whose post remained but was edited, if you'd prefer the post be deleted so you can start fresh, please pm me :))

TechSmurf 05-25-2004 01:38 AM

Now that I look at how much you're looking to pay for that Eaton, I think it's neccessary to point out you could probably walk away from a junkyard with a 3.23 posi disc brake rear and master cylinder for ~200, and still have enough cash to buy nice tubular LCAs and brackets...

vsixtoy 05-25-2004 02:13 AM

Auburn here with 3.23 road gears/I dropped down from 3.42's.

br()bert 05-25-2004 08:59 AM

Originally posted by TechSmurf
Now that I look at how much you're looking to pay for that Eaton, I think it's neccessary to point out you could probably walk away from a junkyard with a 3.23 posi disc brake rear and master cylinder for ~200, and still have enough cash to buy nice tubular LCAs and brackets...
IF you do go to a yard dont just assume the rear you are taking has good gears in it, check it out, many v8 cars have 2.73's etc. put some 2.73's in a v6 car and i dont think you'll like the results.

Project: 85 2.8 bird 05-25-2004 11:11 AM

Originally posted by br()bert
IF you do go to a yard dont just assume the rear you are taking has good gears in it, check it out, many v8 cars have 2.73's etc. put some 2.73's in a v6 car and i dont think you'll like the results.
Yup. I know someone that just totalled their GTA. has posi in it, but 2.73 or whatever in it, rear discs too. Think I'll stay w/my 3.42s, but trying to get that aluminum drive shaft, only he knows it's aluminum too :mad:

edit: SInce you have the newer rear, try looking up at one of the SLP take offs ;)

edit: I caint find teh take offs now, maybe there aren't anymore.

Akshay 05-25-2004 11:33 PM

Won't a posi from a v8 camaro fit a v6? Slightly used one ofcourse.

br()bert 05-26-2004 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Akshay
Won't a posi from a v8 camaro fit a v6? Slightly used one ofcourse.
Yes but like said above you just dont go rip one out of a v8 and throw it in your v6 and asume that its better, Sure you might get a posi now but you also could get worse gears like 2.73's etc.

2.73's and a v6 motor = No No

TomP 05-26-2004 12:18 PM

The SLP Take-off's are gone...

Xceleratemaro 05-26-2004 12:39 PM

i bought less than 2 mounths ago.. :confused: ;) :D the part # is 64501t i should have bought more when i had the chance!

Akshay 05-26-2004 06:58 PM

Originally posted by br()bert
Yes but like said above you just dont go rip one out of a v8 and throw it in your v6 and asume that its better, Sure you might get a posi now but you also could get worse gears like 2.73's etc.

2.73's and a v6 motor = No No

No no. I'm talking about just the limited slip, and not the gears.

So a limited-slip from a z28 won't bolt to the 3.42 gears?

drdave88 05-26-2004 09:49 PM

AM91

how does the zexel torsen work? do you have to pull the whole carrier or do you just replace the 4 gears in the center of the carrier? id rather stay away from reshimming and all that crap if i can, lol.

AM91Camaro_RS 05-26-2004 10:26 PM

the ZT unit works good. it has, like, worm gears that run the length, well width i guess, of the carrier to the side gears. with a load on it, the worm gears will force the side gear out, to the side of the unit, therefore, locking it. that's my understanding of it anyways, someone correct me if i'm wrong. there's no way to put ZT insides into a open carrier. good luck replacing the guts to get posi. i could be wrong but i've never heard of being able to do that except to go, basically, mini spool...aka welded carrier. reshimming it wasn't really hard, just a bit of a pain and time consuming but not necessarily difficult.

drdave88 05-26-2004 10:32 PM

as posted above, the pro trac system on HP TV just replaces the 4 gears in the center of the carrier. i didnt know if zexel was the same or not. but you told me what i needed, thanks. im gonna look into it.

AM91Camaro_RS 05-26-2004 10:34 PM

sorry, i missed the post about the pro trac.

drdave88 05-26-2004 10:38 PM

does yours click a lot around turns?

AM91Camaro_RS 05-26-2004 10:41 PM

Originally posted by drdave88
does yours click a lot around turns?
never noticed it clicking. if you get on it (the gas) enough while turning, you can feel the inside tire trying to skoot (sp?) a little but nothing major.

Gumby 05-27-2004 01:06 AM

Originally posted by drdave88
as posted above, the pro trac system on HP TV just replaces the 4 gears in the center of the carrier. i didnt know if zexel was the same or not. but you told me what i needed, thanks. im gonna look into it.
Yep it just replaces the spider gears. It is "pricy" but super easy to install. dual disc is nice but that is what I would get. like said above most stock dual disc are gona have crapy gears for a 6.

TomP 05-27-2004 12:38 PM

Originally posted by AM91Camaro_RS
if you get on it (the gas) enough while turning, you can feel the inside tire trying to skoot (sp?) a little but nothing major.
Hey, I noticed that too when I had the posi rear. (moment of silence for the Eaton gov-lock POS) The car cornered better, I thought it was just my imagination!

You guys gotta cut the crap, now I want to buy a new posi... too bad I've gotta pay off the plasma cutter first. Damn! Time to search ebay :D

CrazyHawaiian 06-21-2004 09:07 AM

Do they make a mini-spool or spool for the V6 10 bolt rearends? I got an open V6 10 bolt rear (from an 88 SC) and I want to experiment with a locked rear hehe. I looked for a mini-spool online but I only see them for 28 and 30 spline. The V6 rear in 88 is different spline count right? (not sure, but I think 26 spline?). Anyone know?

AM91Camaro_RS 06-21-2004 09:15 AM

i think it was 88 or before when they changed the 7.5" 10 bolts to 28 spline axles. someone else can jump in on that one. but, the rear end for the v6 is the same otherwise, even if you do have 26 spline axles, you can get a set of 28s to put in it, just make sure that they are from the same width rear end and you'll have no problems. for that matter, why not just weld your open carrier?? that be a lot easier.

CrazyHawaiian 06-22-2004 12:00 AM

I did some more looking and found that both Richmond Gear and Summit Racing Equipment make mini-spools for the 26 spline 10 bolt rearends. I'll probably go with the Richmond part for $89, but gonna make sure to count the splines in the axles before ordering since 88/89 was a switchover year.