Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   belt tensioner pully noise? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/252710-belt-tensioner-pully-noise.html)

mory 07-29-2004 12:39 PM

belt tensioner pully noise?

Im hearing some noise coming from the belt tensioner pully. ive checked around it to see if anything was lose but theres nothing. this noise seems to occur only when the car is in drive and im stoped at a ligt. somtimes i hear the noise in park. do i need to change the tensioner pully or what? does it need some oil or what around it? its getting realy irritating to me guys pleas help. thanks

Doward 07-29-2004 01:23 PM

What kind of noise? Pulley bearing could be going south.... or a loose belt. Look at the indicator on the tensioner - is the belt too stretched?

mory 07-29-2004 03:04 PM

didnt know the pully had bearings thats interesting. the noies is like its lose . hard to compare it to somthing. its not lose ive checked. but its like a small clank, clank clank noies. its not hella loud but you can hear it. should i take it off? what am i looking for at the indicator and what does that tell me? can this thing be tighten and bearings replaced?

dream02transam 07-29-2004 04:40 PM

Take the belt off and spin it... and any other pullys ... see if you hear the noise then... and you will know which one... Also is the noise only when the a/c comprssor is on? If so it could be the A/C comprssor clutch

V6sucker 07-29-2004 05:08 PM

the tensioner is made up of 2 different systems.
1 A large spring, that once begins to break, can give off "popping" noises.

2 A axial bearing for the actual pully. Once that begins to go you hear a scream, or intermitant scream.

My suggestion is if you decide to remove the tensioner, already have a replacement handy. Because if the internal spring is breaking apart, you will not be reinstalling it.

mory 07-29-2004 08:01 PM

its not coming from the a/c. so can i get a pully from a local parts store?

V6sucker 07-29-2004 10:27 PM

Originally posted by mory
its not coming from the a/c. so can i get a pully from a local parts store?
typically yes. I think mine was around 15-20 last time I replaced it. 2-3 years ago?

Trickster 07-29-2004 10:37 PM

Why not just replace the whole tensioner, a new pulley comes with it.:D

V6sucker 07-30-2004 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Trickster
Why not just replace the whole tensioner, a new pulley comes with it.:D
I think tha is what he meant. At least lets hope that. Anyway you cannot get the 2 parts seperately anyway.

Trickster 07-30-2004 11:52 AM

Actually you can buy the pulley seperately, they carry them at most auto parts stores.:D

mory 07-30-2004 01:17 PM

is the tensioner easy to replace? once the tensioner is off does the pully go off right along withit? it seems like there is only 2 bolts that come off the tensioner.

Trickster 07-30-2004 02:20 PM

is the tensioner easy to replace? once the tensioner is off does the pully go off right along withit? it seems like there is only 2 bolts that come off the tensioner.
Hello Mory,

There is only one bolt holding the tensioner in place along with a metal tit on the back of the tensioner and one bolt holding the pulley to the tensioner. You can remove the pulley without pulling the tensioner off. However you will have to pull the belt whichever way you decide to go. If you plan to just change the pulley, it is a good idea to break the torque on the pulley bolt before removing the belt. It is not a neccessary carved in stone thing to do, I have just found it makes the bolt removal a little easier by breaking the torque first. Sort of like the lug nuts on a tire.:D

mory 07-30-2004 04:27 PM

can you send me a picture so i can get a better idea of what im breaking sir.

Trickster 07-30-2004 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

can you send me a picture so i can get a better idea of what im breaking sir.
But of course I can Mory.:D In this picture, #1 is the TORX bolt that holds the tensioner to the bracket and #2 is the bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner arm. The figure in the upper right of the picture shows the wear indicators on the tensioner. Hope this helps you!!!!!!!:D BTW, the square opening at the top for the breaker bar or ratchet adapter will be either 3/8" or 1/2" depending on manufacturer.

mory 07-30-2004 08:01 PM

thank you sir and all th rest of u gentelmen.:lala: :lala: :hail: :hail: :lala:

Trickster 07-30-2004 11:05 PM

You're more than welcome Mory!!:D

Tremo 01-14-2019 03:31 PM

Re: belt tensioner pully noise?

Originally Posted by Trickster (Post 1943130)
But of course I can Mory.:D In this picture, #1 is the TORX bolt that holds the tensioner to the bracket and #2 is the bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner arm. The figure in the upper right of the picture shows the wear indicators on the tensioner. Hope this helps you!!!!!!!:D BTW, the square opening at the top for the breaker bar or ratchet adapter will be either 3/8" or 1/2" depending on manufacturer.

The "#2" bolt that holds the pulley wheel to the tensioner arm. That just simply unscrews? Its as simple as putting a wrench on the bold and removing it?