Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Flowmaster VS Dynomax mufflers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/320244-flowmaster-vs-dynomax-mufflers.html)

V8 Slayer 09-10-2005 07:12 PM

Flowmaster VS Dynomax mufflers

I currently have a dynomax catback and thinking of throwing on a flowmaster muffler? Anyone know the sound difference?

Aggp18 09-10-2005 08:11 PM

I've heard mixed reviews on the flowmasters. I have a dynomax on the car and it sounds great, I heard a 3.4 with a flowmaster and wasn't too impressed. It sounded hollow, like the throaty growl wanted to be there, but it just lacked. For the price I'd stay with the dynomax.

V6sucker 09-10-2005 09:21 PM

with the flowmaster, it would help it alot to add a glass pack in the I pipe... Help kill the resoance (sp?).

Doward 09-11-2005 07:36 AM

I will trade you my flowmaster + dual 2.5" outlets for your Dynomax muffler/tailpipe.

I freakin' HATE my flowmasters. If I get another 'man... nice v8! What you got done to it?' I'm going to FLIP OUT.

'Yeah man... I lopped off 2 cylinders, and 2.6 liters, and added exhaust/intake!'

*dumbfounded look*

BTW - I'm serious, I will freaking swap with you. I want a QUIET muffler!!

V6sucker 09-11-2005 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Doward
I will trade you my flowmaster + dual 2.5" outlets for your Dynomax muffler/tailpipe.

I freakin' HATE my flowmasters. If I get another 'man... nice v8! What you got done to it?' I'm going to FLIP OUT.

'Yeah man... I lopped off 2 cylinders, and 2.6 liters, and added exhaust/intake!'

*dumbfounded look*

BTW - I'm serious, I will freaking swap with you. I want a QUIET muffler!!

add a glass pack in the i pipe, it will quite it down.

Mine was loud (40 series) and sounded mean at idle, but would get high and a little raspy.
Added a glass pack, and man... a toned down mustang sound that I LOVED!

86BLUEBIRD 09-11-2005 09:01 AM

the dynomax definitely gives u a nice low growl. the super turbo mufflers r only like 50 bux from jegs i believe. pretty cheap

Nixon1 09-11-2005 09:35 PM

Flows are loud and burbly... Dynomax's don't sound as good on V8's, but sound much better on six's, IMO.

V8 Slayer 09-11-2005 09:40 PM

The reason I asked was, I recently started working at pepboys partime. We stock flowmasters and I found the 80 series crossflow for the camaros/firebirds. I'd like it to be loud and throaty. My dynomax catback just does not do it for me anymore.

Doward 09-11-2005 11:47 PM

Then swap with me :D

Cheaper that way (just paying some shipping)

I've got to get rid of this thing!

V6#20 09-12-2005 01:14 AM

I think its is pretty much factual to say that the more power you add to these V6's the crappier the flowmasters sound. Thats why I am changing mine very soon once my new setup arrives.

The flowmater when I first put it on the car sounded like crap, then I opted down on the two tailpipe diameter exits from dual 2.5" to dual 1.75" and it sounded great at all rpms especially the upper end. Now with the headers and 62mm TB it is starting to sound like crap again and I need to muffle it back down some more- nothing more I can do to tame the flowmaster80, time to move on and try something else to quiet the more power coming out.

Doward, you must really be hating life in the higher r's with the noise level if mine is getting bad at about 165hp

91greenbird 09-12-2005 07:18 PM

If i add a new intake plenum, 65mm tb, and headers will my car sound meaner? More v8ish? I think my dynomax catback is ok its like a 4 banger fused with a v8 and formed the sound my car makes, low rpms v8ish, high rpms less v8ish kinda 4bangerish. I wish i could make it sounded more v8 like. I dont want a damn flowmaster muffler either caz they sound horrible in my opionion (at high rpms)

V8 Slayer 09-12-2005 08:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 91greenbird
More v8ish? I think my dynomax catback is ok its like a 4 banger fused with a v8 and formed the sound my car makes

So like a v6 right? :D