Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   exhaust headers (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/599277-exhaust-headers.html)

walkthelin3 01-07-2011 09:42 AM

exhaust headers

my engine is ticking n a mechanic said it was a manifold leak .. considering my exhaust isnt stock im going to assume the person before me loosened the manifold n didnt tioghten it. or the bolts r loose.. where are the bolts for the manifold.. pics would help. i cant find any

bl85c 01-07-2011 08:45 PM

Re: exhaust headers

Uh... what?

walkthelin3 01-07-2011 11:26 PM

u know how the air pump pumps air into the exhaust pipe? well if u get aftermarket headers.. the pump is useless.. well i was thinking . is it possible to hook up a turbo to that instead of hooking it up to the header pipe.. but someone said its not strong enough to power the turbo

Maverick H1L 01-08-2011 01:49 PM

Dude, just ditch the AIR pump unless it's mandatory you have to have it. It's a waste of metal and weight, and if you ditch the factory manifolds, it's almost completely useless (can only send air to the converter).

Let's put it this way, even a leaf blower is too weak to run a turbo, and the AIR pump is no leaf blower.

walkthelin3 01-08-2011 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L (Post 4781674)
Dude, just ditch the AIR pump unless it's mandatory you have to have it. It's a waste of metal and weight, and if you ditch the factory manifolds, it's almost completely useless (can only send air to the converter).

Let's put it this way, even a leaf blower is too weak to run a turbo, and the AIR pump is no leaf blower.

understand.. n i live in jersey.. emissions sux so i think its mandatory

Project 3.4 Camaro 01-09-2011 01:36 AM

One thing you might check is that some areas within states require and some don't...i used to live in somerset, pa and didn't need them, when i moved to pittsbrugh(one of the two biggest cities by far, think it even is the biggest) every town around here requires them.

walkthelin3 01-09-2011 07:56 AM

how badly will emmisions be with it removed.. is it significant?

firebird904 01-14-2011 01:21 PM

My car was originally from new jersey and doesn't have the AIR pump and always passed emissions.

walkthelin3 01-17-2011 07:44 AM

i myself am having emission problems as it is.. even with the air pump.. i have no clue what to do.. the plugs are fine. its got a new fuel pump.. timing is set to 9... should be ten i know.. i wonder if the prvious owner hollowed out the cat.i have no other ideas

Project 3.4 Camaro 01-17-2011 08:56 AM

your egr could be bad, or even just a vacuum hose.

walkthelin3 01-17-2011 11:53 AM

check engine light off fixed a vaccume hose to it.. i wonder how many vac hoses there are in this vehicular

Project 3.4 Camaro 01-17-2011 12:07 PM

The short answer-too many. I for one hardly have any....but my car would def not pass a smog test...for that reason I think I will have it inspected where I used to live, because I honestly don't want to have all that emissions crap hooked up anyways.

walkthelin3 01-17-2011 12:22 PM

ugh