Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   92 firebird wont start (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/662464-92-firebird-wont-start.html)

Timmie 09-16-2012 12:36 PM

92 firebird wont start

ok, I have this 92 bird, that 1 day to another just died.
it kept running worse and worse untill it finally died and didnt want to run anymore.
the ignition is fine. new spark plugs, wires are good, new distributor cap + the little thingy right undernead the distributor cap, new coil, new ICM module. and yes it sparks.

so I started testing fuel.
I can hear the fuelpump run. and when I disconnect the fuel line on the drivers side near the brake booster it spits out fuel. so I know that 1 works.
if I reconnect this line, and disconnect the return line, there is not 1 drop of fuel coming out of this pipe.

BUT, if my ignition is on. I can press on the schraeder valve on back of the engine. and not 1 drop of fuel or a his of wind comes out of it.
also if I put my computer on it. I can see that fuel pressure drops off inmediatly.

I think its the pressure regulator, but im not sure about this one.

92droptopws6 09-16-2012 01:03 PM

Re: 92 firebird wont start

Have you actually put a fuel pressure gauge on the car?
You can also temporarily cap off the return line to see if the build up of pressure is enough to start the car.
There should be a vacuum line on the regulator pull it off and see if it is wet from fuel.

Timmie 09-16-2012 01:08 PM

well about that return line.
its a bit useless to cap that one off

if I reconnect this line, and disconnect the return line, there is not 1 drop of fuel coming out of this pipe.
ther is nothing coming out of that side anyway :(

will check for fuel on that vacuum line tomorrow.

92droptopws6 09-16-2012 01:28 PM

If no fuel comes from the return line at all but you have fuel going into the regulator the fuel has got to be going somewhere...
If it was my car I would put a gauge on it, replace the regulator and or the fuel pump

Timmie 09-16-2012 01:35 PM

think its the regulator.... wanted somekinf of certanty.
( hope its not the fuel pump, changed that 1 on my camaro. and its not something I want to repeat.)

92droptopws6 09-17-2012 03:39 PM

Put a pressure gauge on there and it will tell you a lot!

Timmie 09-17-2012 03:46 PM

if you mean on the schreader valve. I know there is no pressure on that. 45 psi or even 30 psi is something if you pres it you should feel or hear.
thiss doesn't do ****. when you press it whith the contact on.

RBob 09-17-2012 04:16 PM

Either the fuel filter is clogged or the fuel pump died.

RBob.

Timmie 09-17-2012 04:24 PM

but if I disconnect the fuel line infront of the brakebooster.. and turn the contact on, it sprays fuell out of it. and not just a little.....

fasteddi 09-17-2012 05:47 PM

Could be you have a leak in the tank itself or a horrific injector leak. IDK Just guesses. As I had a leak in my tank once and the car would barley run at all.

If you have fuel where you say its at but none when you depress the shrader valve...... well it has to go somewhere is my guess.

Edwardgp 09-17-2012 07:37 PM

I would try to find out where you are loosing your fuel.

91firebird3.1 11-10-2012 07:17 PM

if the pump has been replaced in your car before, someone could put a hose in the place of that fitting that the fuel runs through. that hose could be torn and dumping the fuel right bacc into the tank. that happened to mine. i had to drop the tank twice in 1 day. i put a hard plastic fuel hose ad the a regular rubber fuel hose over that and never had another issue with the pump since. the only other fuel issue i've had with my car since is the vats system killed my injectors. but if that was the case you should still have fuel pressure.

Maverick H1L 11-11-2012 11:18 AM

If you're not getting any fuel into the fuel rail but to the fuel hose on the frame rail, try removing the pressure line where it connects to the rail. Try getting fuel out of it again (into a bucket, of course). If you don't get fuel, you need to disconnect the other end and blow the clog out of the line. If you do get fuel, you have a clog in the fuel block (where the line connects) or the rail itself.

Timmie 11-12-2012 06:56 AM

I get fuell up to the fuel rail. and I also cleaned out the fuel rail. ( not that there was anything in it ) I even took out the injectors so that I could clean it even better.
still no result.
next test will be take of the manifold put little cups under the the fuel rail and injectors disconnect the ignition wires. and see if I can get the ijectors to pee into the poties.

or with other words "pottie train" my injectors.

Timmie 11-14-2012 10:24 AM

Ok so an update.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WiV9RNkQQ&feature=youtu.be
I get fuel pressure. Also checked for leaky injecotrs, isn’t the case btw.
just to be sure I changed all the injectors to some spares that came from the camaro.
so, atm
new ignition coil, new dizzie cap, new ICM module, new injectors, pressure checked.
and it just doesn’t want to get/give any fuel. Sometimes he tries to kick in, but wont start running.

Regards, Tim

Maverick H1L 11-14-2012 11:10 AM

Next to the fuse panel under the left side of the steering column is a 12-pin connector. There will be 2 pins in the same row right next to each other, I believe on the fuse panel side. Connect them together and turn the key on WITHOUT starting the engine. The orange SES light should start blinking as well as the radiator fan should turn on. The light will flash in a sequence, one flash and 2 flashes is code 12 before a long pause and the same code twice again. What you do NOT want to see is a code 46, which shuts off the fuel injectors. Which points to a problem either in the anti-theft or between the VATS module and the ECM.

Also, if your fuel pressure, holding steady, is less than 37 PSI, it's not going to start (not sure what the pressure is in KPa).

Timmie 11-14-2012 11:24 AM

already checked that.
only code 12 shows up ( engine not running )
starting to think its the pickup coil.
will check this 1 tomorrow. ( anyone know the resistor value of this coil ) ?

Maverick H1L 11-14-2012 01:40 PM

It's a safe bet that if you have spark, it's NOT the pickup coil. There would be NO spark if the coil or the ignition module were bad.

Did you check for power at the fuel injectors AND for a ground pulse from the ECM yet?

91firebird3.1 11-14-2012 07:23 PM

yeah if you have spark then you can eliminate your ignition system. check again for that code. if it comes down to your vats system, then its real simple. it'll be no more than a $10 repair. i bypassed mine due to the same problem. try hooking up some noid lights to your injectors and see if they pulse or if the light just stays on.