Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   3.1L Turbo Build (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/695444-3-1l-turbo-build.html)

tonymcc3 01-18-2014 12:05 PM

3.1L Turbo Build

Ok, well i have been on here for a while and have done lots of research and its time to start posting. I am in the beging steps of turbocharging my 3.1L, auto trans, 1992 Camaro. Its not going to be for racing just a project, fun car, learning experience. Motor and car is in good shape, I bought it when i was 16 and can't part with it. I will try to build as fast as i can and post pictures as often as possible. But with work, kids, and hunting it might be a slow one.
What i have so far is t3/t4 .64/.50ar ebay turbo, inter cooler, 260 delta cam and lifters. I have ported and polished the heads and intake. I have all the tuning software i need, moates and tuner pro, not new to tuning. I have been following fasteddie, project89 turbo builds and taking what i can from them. Thank you! My next step is getting my headers fabbed up and getting waste gate, bov, and I think 28lb injectors.
What is the best set up for a single turbo, log style and mid-length on drivers under k-member style or something else?
What are some ebay BOV and Waste-gate recommendations?

fasteddi 01-18-2014 02:16 PM

Re: 3.1L Turbo Build

Awsome. Always cool seeing someone build up a 3.1L and using the stock ecm.

As for the exhaust either use a log on the passenger side and a full length on the driver side with a crossover on the back side(firewall) of the headers or just make up real tube headers for both sides with a crossover pipe in the front of the engine. They would be forward facing ones that tie into the turbo which youll want where your charcoal canister was/is. Stay away from any set up that is under the k-member. I did it but to be honest it was a horrid set up mainly for ground clearance.

I liked the log style ones for what its worth. I feel as if that sort of set up is more then capable of making your set up run quite well. Its all about how much time you want to put into the headers and exhaust.

As for the BOV. I recommend a "type Rlf" bov. I finally got one for this winters tear down. I used a different one before and didnt like it as I know it leaked. The Rfl cost about 35 bucks iirc.

As for the waste-gate look for either a 38mm full size(not a mini gate) or get a 44mm mini gate. Either way is up to you as they usually cost around 80 bucks off ebay and the 38mm unit I had before worked great. Im just going with a mini 44mm gate because of the full tube headers I am building and the restraint on space in the engine bay.

Look for a gate that has a spring for less then 10psi. You can always up the spring later but most springs off ebay are lower then they say. You just want a spring that can keep your boost to 6-8psi so you can tune it and not worry as much about blowing it up while tuning it. Obviously you'll have to ease into the throttle a little more and more as you go along but from what i remember when I had a t3/4 like you have....is that it spools up at very low rpms/low boost threshold.

Since your tuning the car yourself what mask were you looking at using. I would recommend $59 just because it works well with boost and a 7730 ecm with only 1 different pin out iirc. The tcc was the only pin that needed changed. You also can use a ac delco sileniod boost controller with that mask and it controls boost great.

tonymcc3 01-18-2014 02:44 PM

Ok I will look into forward facing headers. I am trying to get a list down for what I need to purchase so i can fab them up. How is heat from that style? I have some header flanges on the way. just need to get some tubing and bends. As far as ecm goes and tuning that is exactly what I plan on doing. With the 260 delta cam did you replace your valve springs? Delta told me stock will be fine.

fasteddi 01-18-2014 04:14 PM

Delta told me the same thing as for valve springs but if you can afford the extra 100 bucks or so then look to get #980-12 comp cam springs. I had the 981-12's and they had some high pressure but i was looking at upgrading to a 272 grind cam so i wanted to make sure they could handle the lift.

I was running into issues with valve float with new stock replacements so that's why i would recommend that you start out with good solid springs. Its not to hard to float the valves with 12psi and when your turning 5500+rpm.

The springs 980's:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...Fa9aMgodZEoA7w

Matching retainers that you will need:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-742-12/overview/

The heat is good and manageable from either the log or the full tube forward facing headers. Just wrap them good with some heat wrap. Ive always gotten my wrap off ebay for pretty cheep and its held up well. Also if you can spend another 40 bucks or so get a blanket for the turbo as every little bit helps keep the heat where its suppose to be.

Here's a blanket but there are so many out there its just up to what you want to get and spend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-TURBO-BLANKET-Turbo-Heat-Shield-BLACK-/220982223178?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337391214a&vxp=mtr

If you ever need a rough bin file for your first start up when you get to that point let me know. Obviously every set up is different but I have so many bin files that it would give you a better base tune then one off code59.

willexoIX 01-18-2014 05:25 PM

Sweet, looking forward to seeing another V6 turbo on the forums! Definitely following your build, I'm in the process of a turbo build as well, but I went the easy way and bought a setup mostly fabbed up already. I went with Megasquirt, but you sound like your already into tuning with another route. Can't wait to see your progress :)

Although depending on how you are setting yours up, you may want to go bigger than 28lb injectors. Mines a stock 2.8, and it was recommended that I go with 36lbs or higher, I went for the 36s. You'll probably make more power than me so just a suggestion.

mccl6927 01-18-2014 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your ride, good sir.

project89 01-19-2014 01:16 AM

for something that wont be raced a log style header will be easier to build , and will still make killer power

38mm gate and rfl bov is always my recomendation

do u have a picture of the turbo u got ? if its not to late to send it back or sell it i would pick up a ebay gt3582 as its a much better turbo , it needs less boost to make good power

willexoIX 01-19-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mccl6927 (Post 5700386)
Your ride, good sir.

I'm not one for white paint, but that looks goood, very clean.

tonymcc3 01-19-2014 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks willexolx, clear coat is peeling so i need to repaint it this summer.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and do the forward facing headers with crossover up front. It doesn't seem to difficult to do. Just need to figure some bends out.

The turbo was a gift from my brother, we will just use that one for now and see what we can do with it. I did just purchase rfl BOV, 38mm Wastegate, and flanges, so i can cross those off the list.

As far as injectors, I don't want to go to big and run into idle problems. Where is a good place to purchase? Southbay? Or is there some vehicles I could search for in the junkyard to pull from?

Six_Shooter 01-19-2014 02:14 PM

I've had up to 42 lbs/hr injectors in my 2.8L I6 (Nissan) and had no idle issues, once everything was dialed in, most notably, injector voltage offsets.

fasteddi 01-19-2014 04:23 PM

That turbo will be fine. I went 13.30s with that same turbo. Its a small turbo but will work good just dont turn the boost up past 13 psi because it really doesn't do much after that. It just blows hot air with really high boost and is inefficient. But with all that aside. I went 13.50s in the 1/4 mile with the turbo u have with 12 psi, stock trans, a ell cheepo tq convertet, stock open rear end. So you can have some fun with that turbo.

The gt3582 is better but its ur first turbo so u could upgrade later if you want to. I have 48lbs injectors and dont have any issues with idle. I did have issues a while back but that was more from me not listing to others as my injector offsets were killing me. I maxed out 28lbs injectors with about 13psi of boost from that same turbo u have now. So you may want up up the fuel flow. Definitly contact southbay. Great vendor. Look to spend 150 bucks or so for a set of 6 from them.

tonymcc3 01-24-2014 05:06 PM

I was searching for some bends for headers to build and found this site. http://www.acestainless.com/butt-wel...-40-mild-steel
what do you guys think about mild steel schedule 40 1-1/4" for the headers?

project89 01-24-2014 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by tonymcc3 (Post 5703742)
I was searching for some bends for headers to build and found this site. http://www.acestainless.com/butt-wel...-40-mild-steel
what do you guys think about mild steel schedule 40 1-1/4" for the headers?

u dont need to build them that heavy duty , unless ur going to hang a 50 pound turbo off them

just get this kit
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...te-bk-872.html

and 2 of these
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...teel-2248.html

though i belilve summit has thos ecollectors for 35 bucks for the pair

project89 01-24-2014 05:18 PM

opps wrong links

here ya go

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...te-bk-864.html

and 2 of these
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...teel-2247.html

tonymcc3 01-24-2014 05:47 PM

Yeah that will definitely be lighter. Thanks for the links no need to over do on my first set up.

project89 01-24-2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by tonymcc3 (Post 5703766)
Yeah that will definitely be lighter. Thanks for the links no need to over do on my first set up.

u can build them out of the weld els no big deal they will last forever

the tubing i linked will last a bunch of years though , just not forever

u want 1.5 inch od tubing nothing smaller , the 1.65 would work as well but clearance would be tight around the bolt holes

fasteddi 01-24-2014 07:04 PM

Look up kits on summit also. I got a sbc header kit that has tons of 1 1/2 pipe and bends for 80 bucks. The collectors cost 40 bucks from summit and u can either make the flanges yourself or go to wot tech or brittishcarconversions for some 50 dollar laser cut header flanges. I opted for the laser cut ones but I'm working with d port heads.

tonymcc3 01-30-2014 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm still waiting on my header flanges to get here. Other than that i have a everything i need to start this build. Injectors, wide band O2, oil lines and fittings are still the main things i need.

project89 01-30-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by tonymcc3 (Post 5707155)
Well I'm still waiting on my header flanges to get here. Other than that i have a everything i need to start this build. Injectors, wide band O2, oil lines and fittings are still the main things i need.

looking real good man , look in my build ur own turbo header thread , and also pilsburys t43/t4 turbo build thread , i built his headers too for some really nice header ideas

on his car we kept the ac , if u dont have ac or can make it clear the ac the headers in my thread are a better design , but both designs work very very well

fasteddi 01-31-2014 05:55 AM

Looking good. Im excited to see your build come together

willexoIX 01-31-2014 08:57 AM

Awesome, looking good!

tonymcc3 02-03-2014 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had some time yesterday to get the intercooler mounted. I took the supplied brackets that came with the intercooler cut them up and welded them the way i wanted them to be. Also bored out the slots so it is adjustable. Today the header flanges came in from westcoastfiero, they seem to fit well and look good.

fasteddi 02-03-2014 07:53 PM

Nice. I actually cut out that support when I ran a ic. It worked out well. I had mine on a angle like that but closer to the rad so that the fan could pull air though at low speeds.

Thoes flanges look much better then the ones I put totlgether a few months ago...

tonymcc3 02-09-2014 04:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the passenger header almost done today. Here are some pictures.

tonymcc3 02-09-2014 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more!

tonymcc3 02-09-2014 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Turbo mounted!

fasteddi 02-10-2014 05:03 AM

Looking good!

project89 02-10-2014 05:06 AM

looking very nice

tonymcc3 02-10-2014 06:55 PM

Thanks guys.

How close do I want to put the waste gate to the turbo? And It needs to be after the two headers merge right?

project89 02-10-2014 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
u can put it to the front like in the pic , or u can go stright up and down in the same location behind the turbo flange

make the merge first and i can give u a much better idea

tonymcc3 02-22-2014 08:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started the drivers side today. Here are a few pictures.

Attachment 338980

Attachment 338981
[IMG]

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps1f00852e.jpg

Attachment 338982[/IMG]

Attachment 338983

fasteddi 02-23-2014 06:40 AM

Nice

tonymcc3 02-23-2014 09:18 AM

Are you guys coating the headers with anything before you put on the exhaust wrap?

fasteddi 02-23-2014 11:11 AM

I've used some high temp primer. VHt stuff. Then wrap it and use some of the silicon spray they sell to keep the fiberglass from shedding off so bad.

tonymcc3 04-05-2014 07:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A little up date after a month. I had a good day to work on the car today, this is where I'm at.

Attachment 337410

Attachment 337411

Attachment 337412

Attachment 337413

fasteddi 04-05-2014 09:05 PM

Looking nice man

tonymcc3 04-06-2014 11:53 AM

Im needing a little help with getting the right parts and fittings for my oil lines. I will take the oil pan off to weld a bung for the drain tube. Any suggestions on where to get some decent lines and fittings?

fasteddi 04-06-2014 01:45 PM

I just got them from a vendor on ebay. 4an hose and fittings for the feed. 10an for the return using a 1/2 inch npt bung at th oil pan.

tonymcc3 04-28-2014 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Down pipe done. Just need to clean up my welds and paint and wrap everything. Still need to get a few things to get it running but almost there.

Attachment 336441

project89 04-28-2014 11:19 PM

looking real good man , dont drive it till u get a wideband and a tune though
that turbo wont really wake up till around 13 psi of boost @ sealevel so depending on ur altitude dont expect to much out of it till the boost gets turned up

fasteddi 04-29-2014 04:59 AM

looks nice. Ill have to take a pic of mine and show it because it looks almost the same as yours except you have more flexible couplings. I even have the black wastegate.

project89 04-29-2014 06:49 AM

the only thing i would change on the whole setup is the downpipe , going to a 3inch downpipe will make a huge difference.
edit
id also change out that tight radius bend on the charge pipe infront of the throttle body for a sweeping bend

oil pan 4 04-29-2014 10:52 AM

Yes do get a wide sweeping bend for the intake.
I have been buying individual parts from frozenboost dot com. My diesel sees up to 20psi and 5 to 10 psi of boost sustained for hours no problems with their stuff at all.

I coated my turbine housings and turbo manifold with jethot ceramic coating. Its been on there for almost 2 years now and is doing great. I sand blast all the surfaces first with iron slag so the jet hot sticks to the surfaces to be treated like chewing gum to a cat.

I cant see the pics real well, if you can hook coolant up to the turbo you should do so (if you have coolant passages)
Also run an oil restrictor to the turbo to keep your oil pressure to the engine up. I have ran as small as a 0.030 inch restrictor on a decent sized holset he351ve for over a year. Eventually I widened the restrictor out to 0.050 inches and put a filter in line with the turbo chargers to keep foreign material from clogging the orifice.

tonymcc3 08-29-2014 10:04 AM

I know it's been a while. I have had a busy summer. I will get back on this project here real soon.

fasteddi 08-29-2014 11:58 AM

Cool. We all look forward to our updates.

willexoIX 08-29-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddi (Post 5812106)
Cool. We all look forward to our updates.

+1 looking forward to hearing more

tonymcc3 12-15-2014 05:13 PM

Hey Guys, Does it matter what kind of muffler you run with a turbo setup? About to have some free time again. I have done a little work to it i need to post some photos. It will be running in a few months, don't give up on me.

Six_Shooter 12-15-2014 05:27 PM

Something free-flowing is best. Stay away from Flowmaster, they tend to not work well with turbo applications.

I use a Moroso Spiro-Flow muffler on my turbo car.

willexoIX 12-15-2014 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 5854163)
Something free-flowing is best. Stay away from Flowmaster, they tend to not work well with turbo applications.

I use a Moroso Spiro-Flow muffler on my turbo car.

My Thrush Welded muffler also works well with the turbo. Its chambered with no packing.

Good to see you back at it.

tonymcc3 03-29-2015 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A little update, I ended up pulling the motor and rebuilding it. New bearings, rings, seals. So its complete and ready to drop in. I have purchased a few items to get this project running and driving. Just a few more weekends and I should be able to start tuning. I did end up getting a T5 for cheap with everything needed for a swap so instead of rebuilding my auto for $1300, thats what i have been quoted around here. Ill be swapping the 5 speed in. If i don't like it then I will attempt to rebuild the auto my self and put it back in or find a t56. So I'm getting closer. Here are a few Pictures.

Attachment 327195

Attachment 327196