Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   What did you do to your v6 today ? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/732761-what-did-you-do.html)

zs&tas 05-10-2016 06:45 AM

What did you do to your v6 today ?

Just thought this might be interesting, somewhere we could have a general light chitchat about what weve been up to.
So my cars been laid up around five years now. I am getting it ready for testing and finishing the last bits on my exhaust.

Today I unbolted the fuel lines from the chassis, then sanded them, they are not that bad so Ive put a coat of paint on. Ill top that up latter.
I recieved some 3" silicone intake hose to hooefully smooth some airflow out instead of that horrid big plastic box run across the rad and then the ribbed tb section.

So thats what ive been up too.
What did you do to your v6 today ?
Anthony.

J.C. Denton 05-10-2016 03:29 PM

Re: What did you do to your v6 today ?

Nothing today, last Saturday I test-fitted the Alston SFC's which I'm planning to weld in in two weeks. I also installed the TDS wonderbar (after I had it laying around for 4 months :rolleyes: ) and the Energy Suspension transmission mount (which was laying around for 6 months:lmao:).

fasteddi 05-10-2016 03:31 PM

Today... nothing but yesterday I hooked up my n20 heater. Im tired of taking out the bottle and tossing it in the pit truck to warm up on cool days. But i do plan to go drive it arround the block today just to have a little fun with it.

zs&tas 05-10-2016 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by J.C. Denton (Post 6037551)
Nothing today, last Saturday I test-fitted the Alston SFC's which I'm planning to weld in in two weeks. I also installed the TDS wonderbar (after I had it laying around for 4 months :rolleyes: ) and the Energy Suspension transmission mount (which was laying around for 6 months:lmao:).

Yeah been looking at wonderbars, there cheap and look like a good upgrade. I cant use alston sfc cause ive put my exhaust in the way. The umi type are expensive for a bit of box, especially being accross the pond so I plan on getting my test centre to weld some box in for me along the sill line then into the frames. Not pefect I know but better than nothing.

Cant wait to get mine rolling and go round the block again fasteddie :-) have fun !

Gfunkill 05-10-2016 06:48 PM

I drove it.

After the 3.4 swap, and endless little things like the auto to manual swap, I think the tinkering is done for a minute.
At this point, other than the rear and suspension, there are more new parts than old.

Pillsbry10 05-11-2016 07:08 PM

I started it lol

THEBEAST84 05-11-2016 07:20 PM

Tracking down the bolts for my t5 and bellhousing .

zs&tas 05-12-2016 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by THEBEAST84 (Post 6037974)
Track down the bolts for my t5 and bellhousing .

Haha I have bolts littered everywhere all put "in a safe place " when removed. But I always forget. Drives the wife nuts when I get moody looking for something lol

ThirdGen1984 05-12-2016 02:18 PM

ordered a RAII hood and waiting for this rain to end so the car can have body work finished and get painted :)

zs&tas 05-14-2016 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ThirdGen1984 (Post 6038215)
ordered a RAII hood and waiting for this rain to end so the car can have body work finished and get painted :)

Is it an 84 ? With gfx ? What colour are you going with ? Pics ? !!

Just removed trim and passenger seat to take up carpet (well stuck down !) For fitting my exhaust hangers through the chassis .

ThirdGen1984 05-14-2016 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by zs&tas (Post 6038855)
Is it an 84 ? With gfx ? What colour are you going with ? Pics ? !!

Just removed trim and passenger seat to take up carpet (well stuck down !) For fitting my exhaust hangers through the chassis .

Yes it's and 84, no GFX(I like the look without them and dont want to do another IROC clone like everyone else) and its going to be white, check out the very end of my build thread for pics of the body work and how its coming(a lot of pics to post in here)

Jon Lequaid 05-14-2016 06:33 PM

Replaced the plugs and wires... found a vacuum leak on the metal "slinky" hose from what I believe to be the EGR to the intake. Plugged it. Still getting LOW power. Smooth idles, but my Honda mower could out run this car right now. IDk what next to look for...

zs&tas 05-15-2016 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ThirdGen1984 (Post 6038911)
Yes it's and 84, no GFX(I like the look without them and dont want to do another IROC clone like everyone else) and its going to be white, check out the very end of my build thread for pics of the body work and how its coming(a lot of pics to post in here)

Oh yes very nice bud, I like non gfx cars , nice clean body lines.

zs&tas 05-15-2016 01:53 AM

Jon, yeah sounds like egr pipe. Have you done a basic tune ? These cars aint fast anyways ( stock that is ) does it run smooth ?

ktthecarguy 05-15-2016 05:03 AM

I cleaned all the interior bits that came out of the car. I have to get the center console out, then I can put in the thermal insulation and new carpet, and put the interior back together.

ktthecarguy 05-20-2016 10:51 PM

Interior is done! I replaced the headliner and carpet, and cleaned the seats and trim. Looks almost as good as new. Pics to follow, soon I hope.

ktthecarguy 05-22-2016 10:40 AM

6 Attachment(s)
got some pics of the interior

88Birdman 05-22-2016 10:49 PM

Been offline but last 2 weeks put new shocks and struts, plugs, wires, fuel filter oil and filter. so it's been a productive 2 weeks of upgrades and upkeep.

88Birdman 05-22-2016 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy (Post 6041680)
got some pics of the interior

Wow did you do the door pannels? If not where can i get that!!! Looks exelent!:goodjob:

Berlinetta Baby 05-22-2016 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing I just write checks to my mechanic. LOL. She does run very well.

ktthecarguy 05-22-2016 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 88Birdman (Post 6041906)
Wow did you do the door pannels? If not where can i get that!!! Looks exelent!:goodjob:

Thanks for the compliment. I just cleaned them, they were in pretty good shape already. I did use the fix I found on here for reattaching the upper plastic piece to the cardboard. I used duct tape to repair the mounting holes in the cardboard, and they are now pretty solid.

Here is a link to the door panel repair

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...-top-rail.html

ktthecarguy 05-23-2016 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Berlinetta Baby (Post 6041918)
Nothing I just write checks to my mechanic. LOL. She does run very well.

Very nice Berlinetta. Is it all original? paint, interior, etc?

zs&tas 05-23-2016 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy (Post 6041318)
Interior is done!

Very very nice. I also have a red interior, no where as clean as that though !! Are your seat bolsters worn at all ?

ktthecarguy 05-23-2016 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by zs&tas (Post 6041937)
Very very nice. I also have a red interior, no where as clean as that though !! Are your seat bolsters worn at all ?

Hi there,
My side bolsters (the foam) was a little worn, so I took the cover off and added some fiber batting to fill them out a bit. I then hand-washed the covers and put them back on. I then spray dyed them back to close to original color. I think it was Duplicolor, vinyl and fabric spray. They have two colors - bright red and dark red. the dark red is close to the dark carmine original color. It's slightly more purple, instead of orange, when compared side-by-side to the original. But I did all the seats that color, so they are only compared to the pastic trim pieces, which never matched the fabric anyway!

After all the work, they may not look like new, but more like well-cared-for. I can live with that.

zs&tas 05-23-2016 03:36 AM

Seriously awesome , :goodjob:

Berlinetta Baby 05-23-2016 10:02 AM

No. I have had it painted, new stripping, the rims painted and corrosion taken off, interior redone. It has a new windshield. I have restored everything to stock with codes that I could which was most of it. Striping decal was the hardest to match. I found a place that has the original grey charcoal zebra material for the inside. Was a lot of fun. The car was bought new by me in 1984. I always knew I would fix it up. So I did.

88Birdman 05-23-2016 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy (Post 6041922)
Thanks for the compliment. I just cleaned them, they were in pretty good shape already. I did use the fix I found on here for reattaching the upper plastic piece to the cardboard. I used duct tape to repair the mounting holes in the cardboard, and they are now pretty solid.

Here is a link to the door panel repair

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...-top-rail.html

Sweet fix...solved another problem i was about to change. was thinking of just cutting out metal pannels for the door but this will keep it more original. Thanks!

zs&tas 05-23-2016 01:45 PM

Re hung painted fuel lines, put new exhaust hanger through chassis on passenger side, exhaust off for last welding.

C2YT 05-24-2016 01:32 PM

Still tuning, have put about 50 miles on the car since the turbo set up.

ktthecarguy 05-29-2016 12:30 AM

I discovered a heater hose leak in the steel tubes coming from the heater core to the engine. I cut out the rusted section, replaced it with rubber hose, and... found another leak! Different section of the steel tube. so I took out ALL the tubes, and replaced them with lengths of rubber hose. Tomorrow will tell if I found all the leaks.

zs&tas 05-29-2016 01:02 PM

Thats anoying that metal pipe fittment. Mines still good though.
Ive had a weekend away with the family at a dinosaur park then a day at the beach..... no firebird stuff :-(

Got home to a package with my new shorter non ac non air pump belt.

Dr34m 05-29-2016 01:54 PM

Huhu, today i was reading on how to build a cold air intake system.

Currently my baby has an issue with acceleration and idling. I installed new sparkplugs about a month ago. Installed them by the book and everything went dandy except i broke one of the spark plug wires. I repaired the wire, but after that something funky started happening. When i accelerate it sometimes "Coughs" and when my car is angled, it can sometimes shut down (die). I suspect that the spark plug wire is the fault causer, but might be a faulty fuel pump. Either way i was looking for some new spark plugs and a new performance spark plug wires kit. Its gonna cost me 60 bucks to get all the stuff which i am happy.

If this doesnt fix my "Coughing" problem i will have to bring it in to a friends place and see if the fuel pump is the problem. Cold air intake system project will launch right after i get the "Coughing" problem out.

zs&tas 05-29-2016 02:03 PM

What have you planned for the cai ? Im going to get one of those filters in a can , 3" in and out, taking air from inside the passenger wing then straight on through to the maff and so on.
Should provide a nice coldish smooth airflow.

Dr34m 05-29-2016 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by zs&tas (Post 6044069)
What have you planned for the cai ? Im going to get one of those filters in a can , 3" in and out, taking air from inside the passenger wing then straight on through to the maff and so on.
Should provide a nice coldish smooth airflow.

Hey man! By the way i have a topic up where we can discuss it further together! https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/7...-cold-air.html

I am currently thinking where to place at as you are. 1 version is to place it at the same place where the stock box is. I am not quite happy with that idea, but at least the base idea exists. One idea is to place 1 in front of the car, like inside the bumper if its possible to bring it there. So when i drive the air the flows from the front speed gives more power to the engine. I am currently thinking on how to build that but i have 1 major problem. How to protect the air filter from water (rain). Because im thinking of building a grill in front of the bumper which brings air in. One idea of course is building the CAI into the hood with a scoop. it would look rad, but obviously some cutting has to be made. I dont want to spend bucks in buying a scooped hood, i would rather build my own one.

Gfunkill 05-29-2016 02:07 PM

So I started the arduous task of polishing my badly oxidized paint. I haven't done anything but wash it these past 4 years, and I have no garage. Also, I'm in FL, so the sun is kinda harsh.
I'm not anywhere near done, but I am seeing some improvment, at least it looks more blue instead of total washout.
I'll post pics at some point, but right now, after two days of polishing by hand, I dunno if I can hold the camera.

ktthecarguy 05-30-2016 01:30 AM

Well, I cured the leaking heater pipes - I got rid of them! I replaced them with lengths of rubber hose, so no more leaks. then, I was letting the engine get up to temp... then past temp... near overheating... but no fan! I was watching the fan, waiting for it to switch on, when I saw the fan twitch... but not spin. I gave it a push with my finger, and it started to spin. It kept running until the temp came down, then switched off.

So, it looks like the fan motor is about dead. I ordered a new one from Rock Auto, should arrive in a few days.

ktthecarguy 05-31-2016 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted one of the wheels today, here is a couple pics. New center caps and trim rings on the way.

Before and after

zs&tas 06-01-2016 01:31 AM

Oh yeah that looks tidy 😉

zs&tas 06-01-2016 01:38 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...9fcff85539.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...d53ef63b5e.jpg

I am looking at these wheels, I have a good offer and I think they will suit the car, simple design with a good rim and a slight increase in size, I will fit chicken centre caps too.
The dog was accidental ? Lol

ktthecarguy 06-01-2016 02:26 AM

Those are nice wheels. reminds me of a Ferrari Enzo's wheels. What size?

zs&tas 06-01-2016 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy (Post 6044944)

Thanks, if I remember rightly not so big and very useable 17 x 7.5 and 8.5 could be an inch wider though. Edit there 8 and 9 inch wide.

They are on a friends car, hes found a set of nice rims his wanted for a long time, I like these so we started talking about putting them on my car, they pretty much go straight on.

zs&tas 06-01-2016 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy (Post 6044944)

Good call on the enzo !!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...2484857961.jpg
:thumbsup:

ktthecarguy 06-01-2016 04:15 AM

Hmmm... $2 million Ferrari? Not a bad car to take inspiration from. good luck with the trade.

C2YT 06-01-2016 07:40 AM

Those wheels would look great for sure!

Honestly guys a cold air intake won't help as much as most people think it will. Plus most times they just look gaudy.

Tuned the car some more, still have more work ahead. Started paint correction on my brothers srt4.. lol

zs&tas 06-01-2016 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy (Post 6044953)
Hmmm... $2 million Ferrari? Not a bad car to take inspiration from.

Except I didnt ,you did ! Lol I guess great minds think alike :-)
What are your trim rings made from ? Stainless would be sweet.

ktthecarguy 06-01-2016 11:40 PM

I am getting them from Camaro Central. Part number WHE-68. Chrome plated stainless steel. On the truck, should be arriving later today. Hopefully will bling up the car nice.

Also got another wheel painted today, looks the same as the first one, so I didn't bother with a pic.

88Birdman 06-02-2016 10:03 AM

Today had to fix the tps. Car was running like shiz. checked it and 7.6! So i put it back to 5.4 and readjusted the ide again. Now she purs again. Also, had 2 great deals on tires in a week. Guy had 2 brand new tires Goodyear eagle f1 ( $245 ) for $40 and a Fuzion ZRi for $80. Always good to have a spare for my 245/50/R16 gta rims!

zs&tas 06-03-2016 12:13 AM

Just about finished my exhaust this the header back section.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...566fc13770.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...f0f5233fd8.jpg

ktthecarguy 06-03-2016 06:09 AM

I got my trim rings from Camaro Central, and... they don't fit!!! Dang it! Trying to prepare for a car show next weekend, now looks doubtful.

These rings are 2 1/2" deep, compared to original at 2" deep. Gotta wait until 9:00 to talk to Camaro Central.

C2YT 06-03-2016 07:40 AM

That exhaust looks fantastic!

Well I have to wash it today and mess with the tune some more. Getting there for sure!