Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Speedo and High idle problems (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/742252-speedo-high-idle-problems.html)

HyperFlyer 03-30-2017 07:04 AM

Speedo and High idle problems

92 camaro RS 3.1 WC t5
So I thought I fixed it by tuning the idle but no. So I'll be driving normally, then the speedo will quite and then idle jumps to 1500-2000, then some time down the road about 60 according to tach, a code flashes then all is good and working properly then randomly it goes to not working. I thought it was just the 92 cluster resistors giving me a problem, but would that cause the idle to change? Sorry for the multiple questions

zs&tas 03-30-2017 11:52 PM

Re: Speedo and High idle problems

Hi, you've got to start by reading the computer codes to see what's going on there it might tell you what's going on Might solve the running issue.

HyperFlyer 03-31-2017 12:02 AM

The code doesn't stay on, the light flashes on and off when it decides to go

zs&tas 03-31-2017 01:31 AM

Yeah but the ecm stores the codes, it's real easy to pull them with a paperclip, there's a tech article round here somewhere that will show ya

drdave88 03-31-2017 08:46 AM

You take a paperclip, and jumper terminals A and B together. They are the top right two terminals when looking at the connector.

HyperFlyer 03-31-2017 10:30 PM

That makes it a lot easier ty

zs&tas 04-01-2017 02:50 AM

:D keep us updated.

RBob 04-01-2017 07:52 AM

I doubt a code is stored as the SES wasn't on long enough for one to be set. And even if a code is set it is going to be a VSS malfunction.

Which is why the ECM changes how the engine is running. It lost the VSS signal so it doesn't know the vehicle speed, or if it has stopped and the idle needs to be controlled.

The lack of VSS can be caused by a wiring issue, failing VSS, or a bad ECM.

RBob.

HyperFlyer 04-01-2017 10:53 AM

When connected the only thing that flashed was the service engine soon light, nothing else popped up

zs&tas 04-01-2017 11:33 AM

Yeah so all turned off put paperclip in. Put ignition on and count flashes and pauses. Always starts with a flash, pause, flash, flash pause this is 12 . One flash and two flashes. Means the system is working. Then count flashes after that, note pad helps.
my computer stores codes even with a flash ses light when driving, but that's just my experience.

HyperFlyer 04-01-2017 11:46 AM

Sorry very new to that, but all I got was 12 so no code stored. Now to vss sensor

zs&tas 04-01-2017 11:53 AM

Dont be sorry, thats why we have these forums :thumbsup: at least you know now, and it might come in handy down the line, its free and easy to do and helps to diagnose quickly. I actually keep a paper clip in my ash tray lol
to the vss then ! ............

HyperFlyer 04-01-2017 11:59 AM

Hoping it's not, being a world class it's a 22mm sensor that I couldnt find anywhere. When I first got the car I changed the fluid and drained it through the sensor hole. I checked it then with a high speed drill motor and volt checker. It put out power and worked fine. So checking the wiring first