Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   New Fuel Pump Issues *gauge not working* (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/753883-new-fuel-pump-issues.html)

krismarsel1 06-12-2018 06:05 PM

New Fuel Pump Issues *gauge not working*

I recently dropped my axle , and put in a new tank and fuel pump. (from rock auto)

After putting it all back together and putting $10 of gas in , i noticed the gauge didn't move.

Concerned, i drove to the gas station and got another $30 gas. The needle went up but barely at all.

What could be the problem?

Do i have to return the fuel pump?

maroe624 06-13-2018 12:24 AM

Re: New Fuel Pump Issues *gauge not working*

Maybe the float got caught up on the tank wall or something. I just replaced pump also on my 88 2.8 but I went with the trap door method. Gauge still works fine. Naaa its not the fuel pump that's the problem it's the sending unit or float. This is exactly why the trap door method is the best, If there's a problem you can get in there quick and fix it. But when you drop the tank you have to make sure everything is good to go before you put everything back together. Now........ I know you don't wanna drop the tank again.:lmao:

krismarsel1 06-13-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by maroe624 (Post 6228610)
Maybe the float got caught up on the tank wall or something. I just replaced pump also on my 88 2.8 but I went with the trap door method. Gauge still works fine. Naaa its not the fuel pump that's the problem it's the sending unit or float. This is exactly why the trap door method is the best, If there's a problem you can get in there quick and fix it. But when you drop the tank you have to make sure everything is good to go before you put everything back together. Now........ I know you don't wanna drop the tank again.:lmao:

Luckily I made a trap door !
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...94423fba1.jpeg

Tibo 06-13-2018 10:54 AM

Before you pull anything again unplug the connector between the body and the fuel tank. Take a resistance reading from the negative wire and the sending unit wire. Should be between 0 and 90 ohms. Your measuring the fuel tank side BTW. See if that reading matches the fuel gauge. 0 is empty, 90 is full and infinite is an open

krismarsel1 06-13-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 6228675)
Before you pull anything again unplug the connector between the body and the fuel tank. Take a resistance reading from the negative wire and the sending unit wire. Should be between 0 and 90 ohms. Your measuring the fuel tank side BTW. See if that reading matches the fuel gauge. 0 is empty, 90 is full and infinite is an open

I put in about $30Canadian in and then another $10 today and it went up. Just a bit though . When tank was empty gauge said below empty. When there was $30 in it said empty. And another $10 made it go up a hair. So it’s reading.
If I fill it up and it says say example “half tank” and I know it’s full.. what do u think the problem would be

mmadden55 06-13-2018 04:30 PM

bad sending unit wire grounding

Tibo 06-14-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by krismarsel1 (Post 6228681)

I put in about $30Canadian in and then another $10 today and it went up. Just a bit though . When tank was empty gauge said below empty. When there was $30 in it said empty. And another $10 made it go up a hair. So it’s reading.
If I fill it up and it says say example “half tank” and I know it’s full.. what do u think the problem would be

Checking the resistance at the tank will tell you if it is the sending unit (tank side) or wiring or gauge (body side of equation)