Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Cold start injector removal. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/754634-cold-start-injector-removal.html)

maroe624 07-14-2018 07:48 PM

Cold start injector removal.

Well I think my stock injectors are going bad or leaking on my 88 v6 2.8. I scooped up a set of 92 3.1 rochester injectors in good shape and I'm gonna swap them out soon. I also have a spare 3.1 fuel rail and I wanna get rid of the cold start injector. Question is will I have trouble starting it? I have read that some people have long crank time and trouble starting. Here in Los Angeles it really doesn't get that cold. Or should I just leave it there? Just don't wanna deal with the extra fuel line and injector.

OrangeBird 07-14-2018 08:09 PM

Re: Cold start injector removal.

Originally Posted by maroe624 (Post 6236087)
Well I think my stock injectors are going bad or leaking on my 88 v6 2.8. I scooped up a set of 92 3.1 rochester injectors in good shape and I'm gonna swap them out soon. I also have a spare 3.1 fuel rail and I wanna get rid of the cold start injector. Question is will I have trouble starting it? I have read that some people have long crank time and trouble starting. Here in Los Angeles it really doesn't get that cold. Or should I just leave it there? Just don't wanna deal with the extra fuel line and injector.

If your gonna delete the CSI talk to "Tuned Performance" and have him burn you a new chip with a 3.1 (which had no CSI) fuel profile . You can test to see if your car will start OK without it by simply unplugging either the CSI itself or the CSI switch , you'll know in a couple of cold engine starts whether you'll need it , or the 3.1 fuel programming .

maroe624 07-14-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird (Post 6236094)
If your gonna delete the CSI talk to "Tuned Performance" and have him burn you a new chip with a 3.1 (which had no CSI) fuel profile . You can test to see if your car will start OK without it by simply unplugging either the CSI itself or the CSI switch , you'll know in a couple of cold engine starts whether you'll need it , or the 3.1 fuel programming .

I'll try unplugging it.

zs&tas 07-15-2018 05:31 AM

Just keep it and your fuel rail , much easier.

W.E.G. 07-15-2018 08:39 AM

Please explain the thinking that leads to the idea of installing a 3.1 fuel rail on a 2.8 manifold, and at the same time, deleting the cold-start injector.

maroe624 07-15-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 6236174)
Please explain the thinking that leads to the idea of installing a 3.1 fuel rail on a 2.8 manifold, and at the same time, deleting the cold-start injector.

Well I read about it, few people said it wasn't needed and I just kinda figured since I'm gonna be in there swapping injectors I might as well remove it . Also just to clean up the area and have one less thing to worry about. I heard they leak sometimes. But I guess I will leave it in there for now. I really don't wanna deal with the extra fuel line too. They can be a bit tricky sometimes.

W.E.G. 07-15-2018 09:55 PM

I think removing it will give you at least one MORE thing to worry about.

When you burn up a starter trying to get the thing to start without the injector the factory put there for a real reason, you will then have TWO more things to worry about.

Then, when you break a bolt removing the previously perfectly-good starter, you will have THREE more things to worry about.

You see where this goes.

Just take your time and be careful working on all systems. Real mechanics don't just remove systems from cars because they are "tricky sometimes."

Job done right.

Even if you have to re-do it several times to make it right.

HellHound 07-17-2018 12:09 AM

You might want to replace your fpr. A lot of my problems went away with that done. And my mileage improved.

Sierra6 10-01-2018 12:25 PM

I've heard of several cars leaking around the CSI and since it's at the very back of the engine you don't see it until it catches on fire.

tmeyer 11-14-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by maroe624 (Post 6236087)

I had csi leaking on my 2.8L. Blocked it off and engine started fine as long as it was in the 50's, colder than that took a bit.

I have since replaced all the TPI with a carb.

scooter 11-14-2018 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 6236349)
I think removing it will give you at least one MORE thing to worry about.

When you burn up a starter trying to get the thing to start without the injector the factory put there for a real reason, you will then have TWO more things to worry about.

Then, when you break a bolt removing the previously perfectly-good starter, you will have THREE more things to worry about.

You see where this goes.

Just take your time and be careful working on all systems. Real mechanics don't just remove systems from cars because they are "tricky sometimes."

Job done right.

Even if you have to re-do it several times to make it right.

Proper removal of the CSI by burning a chip and removing the injector leaves you with less to worry about since the ECM is then doing the work of the CSI in the programming. You don't have to worry about it leaking, or the temp switch failing, and the O ring causing a vacuum leak. Removing it properly is good for you in the long run.

Tuned Performance 11-14-2018 02:50 PM

You might try tbi chips for tuning the 302 ecm. The 89 tune for the 2.8l has deleted the ninth injector.
I unfortunately don’t have a copy of this binary file.
vats is also enabled in this tune and tunercat or tunerpro does not show this as a item to disable.
You could also contact tunercat to see if they have a 89 bin and can add vats to there definition file. The 2732 chips are becoming harder to find but you can get them on eBay and use a pocket programmer or equivalent programmer.
The mask you would be using is $3a.