Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   Few issues after installation of pacesetter header (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/756881-few-issues-after-installation.html)

flechebleue 10-21-2018 11:24 AM

Few issues after installation of pacesetter header

Hi Guys
I've recently exchanged my old exhaust system with a set of pacesetter header, a new cat converter and a dynomax exhaust (I had it before). At the same time I've replaced my EGR valve and removed the Air injector (no choice with the header)
I've since few issues with the way the motor is running :
- the motor is hesitating when the gas pedal is slightly depressed. No issue at WOT. If I disconnect the vacuum pipe on the EGR the motor run much better.
- When I release the gas the motor increase RPM to around 2000 before going donw to idle (700 RPM). It was not the case before. If I unplug the IAC, the motor run around 2200 RPM, is it normal?
I've checked for vacuum leak : every think is fine.
I've checked the timing. 22° with EST connected and it doesn't change when the EST is deconnected. I don't untestand why. I've tried to shorten A and B on the ALDL connector, no change still 22° When I increase RPM the timing increase to 35°

Do you have any idea on what could be wrong?

maroe624 10-22-2018 01:16 PM

Re: Few issues after installation of pacesetter header

Originally Posted by flechebleue (Post 6258189)
Hi Guys
I've recently exchanged my old exhaust system with a set of pacesetter header, a new cat converter and a dynomax exhaust (I had it before). At the same time I've replaced my EGR valve and removed the Air injector (no choice with the header)
I've since few issues with the way the motor is running :
- the motor is hesitating when the gas pedal is slightly depressed. No issue at WOT. If I disconnect the vacuum pipe on the EGR the motor run much better.
- When I release the gas the motor increase RPM to around 2000 before going donw to idle (700 RPM). It was not the case before. If I unplug the IAC, the motor run around 2200 RPM, is it normal?
I've checked for vacuum leak : every think is fine.
I've checked the timing. 22° with EST connected and it doesn't change when the EST is deconnected. I don't untestand why. I've tried to shorten A and B on the ALDL connector, no change still 22° When I increase RPM the timing increase to 35°

Do you have any idea on what could be wrong?

You need to set timing with est disconnected. I'm about to install headers myself hopefully I don't run into those same issues. I dont have egr on my car and runs good. But I am thinling of reinstalling when I instal the headers. I'll see.

flechebleue 10-22-2018 02:35 PM

Hi
I’ve tried for sure to disconnect the EST cable to optimize the timing but unfortunately it doesn’t work. With or without EST the timing is the same. Could the ICM be defective?

drdave88 10-23-2018 05:46 AM

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?
- Unplugging the IAC will likely cause the RPMs to do something odd since the ECM doesn't know where the throttle position is at, so it defaults to a given setting.
- Your timing is off if it's at 22 with the EST disconnected. It should be at 10°. Disconnect it, set it to 10°, then plug the wire back in. Make sure you do it with the engine at operating temp. It is normal for your timing to advance when you raise the RPMs.
- When you removed the AIR pump, did you remove everything associated with it and cap off any vacuum lines? You may have a vacuum leak, make sure you didn't crack/break any vacuum lines. You can find that by spraying carb cleaner around and listen for RPMs to change.

flechebleue 10-23-2018 07:54 AM

I have a manual transmission
- if I disconnect the EST there is NO effect. The timing stays at 22°. This is the issue. This is the reason why I'm asking if it could come from the ICM
- I've removed everything linked to air pump and capped the vacuum line. I've verified that there is no leak on the vacuum (both with the gage and by spraying cleaner fluid)

drdave88 10-23-2018 08:04 AM

It could be an issue with the module. Have you tried resetting your base timing, will it go to 10 and run well? Do you have high mileage on the timing chain? This could also be causing a timing issue. First thing I'd try is moving the distributor, resetting the base timing to 10 and see how the engine runs. If it runs horrible, then look at maybe an ICM (cheaper and easier) or possibly a worn timing chain.

flechebleue 10-23-2018 08:19 AM

If I move the distributor and set the timing to 10° the motor runs poorly : no torque at all. Not surprising as the EST doesn't seems to work as it should be (increase the timing). that's the reason why the base timing is now at 22°
The timing chain as only 67 kmiles. The timing is pretty stable at idle.

drdave88 10-24-2018 05:55 AM

Everything was fine until you installed headers, replaced the EGR valve and removed the AIR? You had none of these issues before? I just want to make sure we're chasing the correct issue here

Have you checked for a leak around the EGR valve or around the headers? Also, have you checked to see if you have any codes set? If all you did was headers, EGR and AIR delete, your timing shouldn't be affected, which makes me think you had a previous issue.
What was your reason for replacing the EGR valve?

flechebleue 10-24-2018 07:22 AM

Everything was fine but the timing issue was definitly there before as I havn't touched the distributor during the installation of the headers.I've seen it because I'm tryng to chase all the possible problems.
I've checked leaks and nothing around the EGR or the headers.
No code set.
I replaced the valve because I had isues to remove the old one from the exhaust.

RBob 10-25-2018 01:56 PM

Check which connector you are opening, should be in this general area:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...ml#post6251601

RBob.

flechebleue 10-25-2018 02:49 PM

I am sure that I open the right connector. when I open it I have the corresponding error on the ecm.

RBob 10-26-2018 09:10 AM

OK, sounds like the ICM is bad. At a minimum it is clamping the EST signal, as that is what the ECM sees to set code 42.

RBob.

Sierra6 10-26-2018 09:30 AM

I highly recommend spending the extra on an AC Delco ICM

flechebleue 10-26-2018 12:29 PM

I have an old icm that was on a working distributor. I will make a try and see if it solves the timing issue.

flechebleue 10-27-2018 02:14 PM

I have changed the ICM. Now the EST cable works as it should. I have set the base timing at 10°. It goes slightly above 20 when the EST is connected.
the motor is running fine but I have less power when I fully open the gas than before
when the car is hot I still have hesitation when the gas pedal is slightly depressed. Seems to improve when the EGR is disconnected.
i have seen another strange thing : when I have the coolant at 220 on the dash, I have only 160 on the ECM (when I read the value through the ALDL connection). When I measure the resistance of the sensor I have around 200 ohm which is not far from 210. The sensor seems to be ok, but why the ECM gives me a lower temperature?

luca 10-28-2018 07:22 AM

that was the same on mine
you need a heated o2 sensor from an s10 or trailblazer the ing plus you take from the fuel pump relay

flechebleue 10-28-2018 09:01 AM

That's strange. I've checked the O2 sensor and everything seems to be OK. The loop is closed most of time (except at idle after 1 min or so) and the signal on the aldl tool seems to be perfectly fine.

luca 10-28-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by flechebleue (Post 6259447)
That's strange. I've checked the O2 sensor and everything seems to be OK. The loop is closed most of time (except at idle after 1 min or so) and the signal on the aldl tool seems to be perfectly fine.

so i read that the exhaust gases wont get hot enough for the standard o2 sensor to work properly
mine did the same thing
besides that the gaskets that are included in the kit are not good they leak almost immediately better you use the FEL-PRO MS90864 gaskets
check for a stuck egr valve maybe you need a iac relearn
mine stall all the time when i shift into reverse because of the iac valve

flechebleue 10-28-2018 01:36 PM

It seems that nobrody has exactly the same beahvior for the o2 sensor. Seems to be better with ceramic coated headers. In my case as the system is going in closed loop I assume that the sensor is hot enough but I may be wrong.
I put some FEL PRO gaskets but it starts to leak again on the cylender closer to firewall. I will change the gasket and put some RTV seal.
The EGR is new but could have some issue with the calibration (they are using a washer to calibrate the gas flow). I will try to put back the old one.
How do you perform the IAC relearn?
Any thought about the reading of the coolant sensor ?

Sierra6 10-29-2018 10:04 AM

I remember long ago reading that people convert to a heated 02 sensor after installing headers on these things.

luca 10-29-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by flechebleue (Post 6259478)
It seems that nobrody has exactly the same beahvior for the o2 sensor. Seems to be better with ceramic coated headers. In my case as the system is going in closed loop I assume that the sensor is hot enough but I may be wrong.
I put some FEL PRO gaskets but it starts to leak again on the cylender closer to firewall. I will change the gasket and put some RTV seal.
The EGR is new but could have some issue with the calibration (they are using a washer to calibrate the gas flow). I will try to put back the old one.
How do you perform the IAC relearn?
Any thought about the reading of the coolant sensor ?

you can block of the egr with a plate to test if it run fine or get uncontrolled exhaust gas to the intake manifold
well if it dont run well its never a mistake to change all the sensors on a 29+ year old car
to reset the iac there are detailed steps on this forum
but i think its only a exhaust leak you have one in the back but maybe there are a few more you cant see

flechebleue 10-30-2018 05:36 AM

I will change the gasket and see how it behaves.
Most of the sensor have been already changed (coolant, air, maf...)

drdave88 10-30-2018 05:59 AM

When I installed the Pacesetter headers on mine, I also used the FelPro gaskets, ditched the ones they came with. I never had an O2 sensor issue, never had to install a heated O2. I had block off plates for my EGR. Fairly simple to cut and install.

flechebleue 10-30-2018 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by drdave88 (Post 6259727)
When I installed the Pacesetter headers on mine, I also used the FelPro gaskets, ditched the ones they came with. I never had an O2 sensor issue, never had to install a heated O2. I had block off plates for my EGR. Fairly simple to cut and install.

You have a new eprom with the EGR cancelled or you are running with the standard one?

drdave88 10-30-2018 08:25 AM

Had the stock ECM. Had plans of burning a new chip with some mods, but never got to it and ended up going V8. Still wish I hadn't lol.

Sierra6 10-30-2018 10:04 AM

wish you hadn't gone v8?

drdave88 10-30-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 (Post 6259759)
wish you hadn't gone v8?

Yeah, the V6 was more fun. The V8 was a carbed budget build. I was starting to get parts together to switch it over to TPI, then came across a 98 Formula and ended up selling the Camaro. Had I stayed with the V6, I may have kept it and gone w/ the hybrid swap, or turbo.

flechebleue 10-30-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by drdave88 (Post 6259743)
Had the stock ECM. Had plans of burning a new chip with some mods, but never got to it and ended up going V8. Still wish I hadn't lol.

And you had no errors on the ECM. When I just disconnect the vacuum port on the EGR I have an error after running few kms.

drdave88 10-30-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by flechebleue (Post 6259779)
And you had no errors on the ECM. When I just disconnect the vacuum port on the EGR I have an error after running few kms.

lol no, I had the check engine light come on as soon as I'd hit cruising speed and warmed up. I was going to wait until I had a proper tune to take care of it. I didn't want to waste $$ on a chip just to turn EGR off. I was going to do it/have it done all in one shot.