Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   1991 rs 3.1 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/757504-1991-rs-3-1-a.html)

ppatmull1 11-23-2018 01:39 PM

1991 rs 3.1

new here to 3rd gen. having an issue with car not starting turns over good. have fuel pressure at 45, have fire. will start right up with a little starting fluid. new parts are: new distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and a coil. injectors, pressure regulator, coolant temp sensor. no codes present. this car is a field find so has been sitting. it did run originally when we got it but had fuel leaks at the injectors. replaced the distributor because they had left the cap off and it rusted.
thanks again any help is appreciated
Pat

3.4 grape 11-24-2018 05:27 AM

Re: 1991 rs 3.1

Did you replace the old fuel in tank?

ppatmull1 11-24-2018 03:25 PM

yes, was taken to a radiator shop to be cleaned and pressure tested. also forgot to mention earlier, the security light comes on with the key stays on around 5 seconds and goes out. was previously bypassed

zs&tas 11-25-2018 02:58 AM

Wait ,so it starts on fluid? Omg the fuel isn't getting in the cylinders ? You have fuel pressure so must be injectors yeah ?

ppatmull1 11-25-2018 09:17 AM

yes injectors are new, cant find my noid lights to check them, might have to rent them. also going to do a compression check, haven't done that either. ill update after those are done. thanks for the responses so far.

OrangeBird 11-25-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by zs&tas (Post 6264478)
Wait ,so it starts on fluid? Omg the fuel isn't getting in the cylinders ? You have fuel pressure so must be injectors yeah ?

Not so fast ....

There are several reasons that good (new) fuel injectors with good fuel pressure behind them won't spray fuel , reasons involving the injectors not getting their required voltage to work .

Bad fuses , bad connections , bad VATS , and bad ECM are four reasons right off the top of my head , and there very well could be others (Like for instance , distributor reference pulses not making it to the ECM , for one) .

So , yeah , proper troubleshooting is what's gonna save the day here , rather than random parts replacement in the hope that the problem solves itself ......

ppatmull1 11-25-2018 12:37 PM

I havent randomly put on any parts everything added was needed as stated originally car was sitting for who knows how long. now on the vats bypass that was done and is questionable i havent seen one before so this could be right. is just hanging there bare. i uploaded a picture but not sure if im allowed to on here

OrangeBird 11-25-2018 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ppatmull1 (Post 6264555)
I havent randomly put on any parts everything added was needed as stated originally car was sitting for who knows how long. now on the vats bypass that was done and is questionable i havent seen one before so this could be right. is just hanging there bare. i uploaded a picture but not sure if im allowed to on here

;) my comment about randomly changing parts was not directed at you , it was directed toward the gent who suggested that since you have fuel pressure it's gotta be the injectors . I just felt that was too big of a leap without considering all the other things that can cause a no spray condition .

And yea , I think you gotta have a certain number of posts till you can post pictures but I'm not 100% certain of that . Can you describe what has been bypassed and how it looks ?

ppatmull1 11-25-2018 01:26 PM

a 2 wire plug with white wires, has the wires cut and 5 resistors soldered together. but found my problem...noid lights showed injectors getting power. plugs are soaked and the compression test was terrible the best being 45

OrangeBird 11-25-2018 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ppatmull1 (Post 6264565)
a 2 wire plug with white wires, has the wires cut and 5 resistors soldered together. but found my problem...noid lights showed injectors getting power. plugs are soaked and the compression test was terrible the best being 45

You said it did run when you first got it back in post #1 so I'm left to wonder if one of two things are happening here , #1 being maybe your compression tester is faulty (it happens) or #2 , maybe if the cylinder pressures really are only 45 at best perhaps the timing chain has jumped a few teeth ?

PS , any idea of how long it sat ? Was it a year or few ? A few more like 5 or 10 ?

ppatmull1 11-25-2018 02:17 PM

thanks again for the responses. the guy we got it from said it had sit in his back field atleast 3 years, hood open the whole time and no distributor cap. it did run originally after i replaced the distribulter plugs, wires and changed oil n filter but was running rich and black smoking and a couple injectors were leaking, housings were cracked. I am going to try another tester this is a loaner from oreilly

OrangeBird 11-25-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ppatmull1 (Post 6264586)
thanks again for the responses. the guy we got it from said it had sit in his back field atleast 3 years, hood open the whole time and no distributor cap. it did run originally after i replaced the distribulter plugs, wires and changed oil n filter but was running rich and black smoking and a couple injectors were leaking, housings were cracked. I am going to try another tester this is a loaner from oreilly

Great , I do hope the loaner compression gauge was faulty . As to the soaking wet plugs I'm curious if one of the new injectors could be leaking or maybe the new fuel pressure regulator .

zs&tas 11-26-2018 02:38 AM

Maybe I need to reread what I write more , when I say injectors , to me , that is anything related to them , wiring , and all. My bad . 😏