Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   V6 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/)
-   -   2.8 Issues (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/758322-2-8-issues.html)

maroe624 01-06-2019 04:11 PM

2.8 Issues

Well I haven't been able to get my 88 2.8 T5 to run how I want. It runs like crap. When cold it just hesitates real bad jerks real bad. Acceleration sucks balls. It is not smooth whatsoever. It idles high, Jerks, and seems like its not getting fuel. I have brand new fuel pump, brand new IACV, brand new MAF. Doesn't throw any codes. Occasionally it throws MAF code. I cant figure it out. I'm thinking it might have bad intake manifold gaskets. Has anybody dealt with this type of issue before? I'm ordering a cable from moates to start datalogging. But I dont know what to look for.

Sierra6 01-07-2019 09:01 AM

Re: 2.8 Issues

well intake manifold gaskets are cheap and easy to replace. try that first.

Also, trim the upper to middle pieces to fit the port holes, the felpro kits fit like crap.

HellHound 01-08-2019 07:58 PM

Replaced anything in the dizzy? Mine was acting like that till I replaced all those parts. I think the module was on the way out. And the electric grease was long gone. Also if you are getting a code for maf, it may not be good. I went through a few "new" ones, and found a rebuilt gm unit on the bay for like 30 bucks and solved everything else. I still get code every now and then, but this is because I am boosted. I should have used fatter gauge wires when I extended it.

Sierra6 01-09-2019 07:53 AM

if replacing the ignition control module or MAF I recommend paying the extra for AC Delco.

maroe624 01-10-2019 01:24 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...9d506250be.jpg

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 (Post 6273317)
if replacing the ignition control module or MAF I recommend paying the extra for AC Delco.

I think I'm just gonna sell it and look for another 3.1. I mean it runs "OK" once it warms up. First I gotta fix this damn starter clicking problem. I had this same issue on my 3.1 but I fixed it by installing a push button start. No solenoid or anything like that, just the push start. Has been starting every time since I installed it a while back. Simply ran a 12v hot wire from batt to button and another wire from button to S terminal on the starter. No more stupid clicks. I always start it with my button and never clicks. But lets say I decide to try to start it by turning the key....... guess what, it clicks. What could be the issue? The ignition switch? Anyways I have my button. Would be nice to fix that though.

So now on my 2.8 T5. Dam thing clicks a million times before it decides to start LOL. I'm lazy so I wanna try the same fix but a little different. I want to hook up a 12v wire from battery to button, then from button to purple wire that goes on the S terminal to save me some time. Basically the same idea. But I want to splice into the purple wire from up top . Were can I find it? I know the manual cars have a neutral safety switch but not sure were.. I also found this wire not grounded to anything. Any idea what it could be? Maybe nothing

Sierra6 01-10-2019 07:51 AM

I'll let someone else address your starter issues,

but if doing a swap i'd look for a 3.4 block instead of the 3.1. They'll be newer, easier to find and make more torque.

Sierra6 01-10-2019 07:53 AM

and i'm confused because your OP said you had all kinds of issues, but now you say it runs ok once it warms up. Did something change since the OP?

Sierra6 01-10-2019 08:02 AM

I don't think your issue is bad gaskets. It sounds electrical to me, something that will still be there after a longblock swap, and your starter issues kind of confirm that.

maroe624 01-10-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by HellHound (Post 6273266)
Replaced anything in the dizzy? Mine was acting like that till I replaced all those parts. I think the module was on the way out. And the electric grease was long gone. Also if you are getting a code for maf, it may not be good. I went through a few "new" ones, and found a rebuilt gm unit on the bay for like 30 bucks and solved everything else. I still get code every now and then, but this is because I am boosted. I should have used fatter gauge wires when I extended it.

I completely rebuilt the ignition system. Plugs, coil, icm, cables, pickup , cap and rotor.

maroe624 01-10-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 (Post 6273516)
and i'm confused because your OP said you had all kinds of issues, but now you say it runs ok once it warms up. Did something change since the OP?

It runs like crap when cold. When warm it runs slightly better. Worse issue is it hesitates when cold and runs sluggish when warm but doesn't hesitate much just feels like its not running like it should. Maybe its the aftermarket prom I put in there.

Sierra6 01-11-2019 08:29 AM

What prom was it

Sierra6 01-11-2019 08:32 AM

so you have issues in open loop that get better in closed loop.. hmm.

maroe624 01-11-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 (Post 6273758)
so you have issues in open loop that get better in closed loop.. hmm.

I can"t remember the chip part number at the moment, I have to dig up an old post but it was a jet performance chip thermo master. I think i had to switch to a lower thermostat or something. One thing I did notice when setting my IACV, the step were you have to wait for it to get into closed loop. I think it has to blink slowly for it to be into closed loop . But it never got there even when warm. Just bliking fast . Maybe that is the issue now that I think of it. Ive been trting to get a stock prom on here. I"m talking to a guy he just hasn't got back at me.

HellHound 01-11-2019 02:02 PM

The push to start should be fused out, with a relay. Just saying.

Sierra6 01-11-2019 03:12 PM

you could do what I did and have someone install megasquirt on it. that fixed all my issues lol.

maroe624 01-11-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 (Post 6273853)
you could do what I did and have someone install megasquirt on it. that fixed all my issues lol.

I have heard of that . Not sure what it is though. Some kind of ecu right? How much is it?

maroe624 01-11-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by HellHound (Post 6273830)
The push to start should be fused out, with a relay. Just saying.

I have had it on there almost 2 years without a relay and no problems. If for some reason my 3.1 had trouble starting, and long crank times then definately I would wire in a relay. But it starts up in 0.4 seconds haha.

Sierra6 01-14-2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by maroe624 (Post 6273870)
I have heard of that . Not sure what it is though. Some kind of ecu right? How much is it?

Megasquirt is a standalong fuel injection system. It would come in and replace most (or all, depending if you want to upgrade to DIS) of your old 80s tech, and any issues would be easier to diagnose then. I had all kinds of issues with mine, and even an "auto-electric" shop in town gave up on mine. I paid about $1500 for the MSII and install, but I also got a dyno tune out of it. I know that's more than the car's worth, but I was so far into my project that I HAD to get it running properly.

Sierra6 01-14-2019 08:09 AM

But before I went that route again, I'd just do a carb swap and swap to the edelbrock carb intake. the car would breathe much better than with the crappy mpfi intake we have. But I knew I was going turbo in the future and I didn't want to go blow through carb.

maroe624 01-18-2019 03:10 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...9b03acff9e.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...c608a3994a.jpg

Originally Posted by WhiskeySierra6 (Post 6274382)
Megasquirt is a standalong fuel injection system. It would come in and replace most (or all, depending if you want to upgrade to DIS) of your old 80s tech, and any issues would be easier to diagnose then. I had all kinds of issues with mine, and even an "auto-electric" shop in town gave up on mine. I paid about $1500 for the MSII and install, but I also got a dyno tune out of it. I know that's more than the car's worth, but I was so far into my project that I HAD to get it running properly.

Man wish I had the money for the MS and carb swap. One day...... So I went to pick up a brand new starter for my 2.8 from AZ since I have warranty from my 3.1 starter. I'm using a 3.4 starter on my 3.1. Nice to get free parts :driving:,and the dude brings out this tiny mini starter and I'm looking at it like damn is this the right part? Turns out it was, Thing is sweeet, half the size, half the weight and it makes this cool whine when cranking. My 2.8 starts right up, no more clicks and I didn't need to wire a push button. Kinda feel like ripping it out and sticking it into my 3.1. AZ is stepping up their game. So while I'm down there I notice the freeze plug is rusted like hell. Not leaking but it's definitely on it's way out. I checked the driver side freeze plug and it's in great shape no rust at all. Weird. One thing I have been neglecting is to drain the rusty coolant and flush it. Previous owner must have put tap water in there. Damn. I'm pretty sure my intake manifold gaskets need replacing as it smokes a bit at startup. Pretty sure it's coolant. That would explain my issues. Saw some leaks coming from water pump and intake area. Another thing I always noticed, when making turns I get a creaking cracking sound coming from the pass side. My A arm bracket welds are shot and are a bit rusty. I'm gonna get them welded. Driver side is good. Good thing I was down there. Don't want it to break any further. Man now I feel like I have to tear out the motor&trans and freshen it up. Runs beautiful on the highway once warmed up but I know it can run wayyy better. I have to wait and see.

maroe624 02-16-2019 07:03 PM

Hey so while back I swapped out my 2.8 injectors for a set of 3.1 injectors. Recently I read that the 3.1 flow quite more then the 2.8. So I thought to myself hey maybe that's why my car hesitates real bad. So I put the 2.8s back in today and took it for a drive and it was worse then before....this time it was different though. It just completely bogs down. So I was poking around and I disconnected the MAF sensor and took it for a spin.......Runs awesome no hesitating, beautiful acceleration like never before. I'm guessing my maf is bad? But why it's brand new from autozone. What should I check. I'm gonna toss the old one back in see if it makes a difference.

maroe624 02-17-2019 03:43 AM

Stuck the old maf back on there and viola. Damn autozone .

Sierra6 02-19-2019 07:52 AM

yeah, you have to spend the extra on a real AC Delco MAF when you buy one.