Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

why do honda/import "tuner" people think their stuff is fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4 edge 3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.73
why do honda/import "tuner" people think their stuff is fast

Since when where motors smaller than a bottle of pop with a turbocharger on it running mid 13s ever fast? I'm sorry i don't care how much boost or that 50hp shot of "noss" and 6 foot wing are going to make your car fast. American v8/rearwheel drive platform is a much better platform. I just don't get it someone clue me in.. i mean is it a disease? are people just retarded? Fast n furious makes me wanna puke. All these kids at work think they can smoke my iroc, i seen the kid run his "prelude" at the 1/8th mile and ran 11.66. I literally saw a go kart run that fast that night (run what u brung). I'm running 8-8.10s. Stock irocs are running high 9s. Someone fill me in here cos i see a lot of these kids at skool got these turbo civics and stuff and while the turbo is interesting, and 4cyl is so simple, its just laughable i mean a 4 cyl, I'll drop a 454 on that 4 and itll crush it like a tin can. bigger is better. civics are economy cars nothing more. If you like turbos turbo a smallblock and make 500hp.

Last edited by Rayzor32; 09-25-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Car: 91 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:23
Re: why do honda/import "tuner" people think their stuff is fast

i have to agree to an extent. Where were all these cars in the 60-70's when cars where monsters.?

Evedryone here in Vermont atleast is on a Turbo kick. One that bugs me is these damn kids that have subies and evo's, theres a bunch of dsm cars too.
I prefer the V8 because its just more fun. Yes you can play the game of how much power can i get from a 4 banger, shoot i even wanted an SRT-4. Im sorry but i have to build and work on things myself and here everyone has a rich parent, i live down the road from a kid who has a 07 STI.

AWD yes its good, but stick these kids in a high HP RWD and they would be scared s*%tless.

PS show me a motor thats been around aslong as a 350 chevy thats an import.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: 370CID GenIII
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 4.33 Moser 9inch

not to defend imports but these monsters in the 60s and 70s were not 11 second cars they seemed fast and they were for the time but most were 14 and 15 second rides....import cars can be real nice and fast when a real tasteful car guy gets behind the wheel but there are plenty of retarded camaro owners too....take a gander at half of the posts on this board youll see what i mean....
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 1LE
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Axle/Gears: G92 Perf. Axle

Hondas and Toyotas make great, reliable daily drivers (my daily driver is an Acura TL Type-S) but front-wheel-drive is certainly not optimal for performance. Civics are great economy cars, nothing more. A lot of the kids today grew up in their parents' Hondas, so when it comes time to buy their own car they stick to what they know, I guess.

What I can't stand is the attitude of some of the import owners that because you own an F-Body, you must be some kind of a r*****k. When I tell people I have a '92 Camaro, I have gotten more than one "m****t" or "do you live in a trailer" comment.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 1SICIROC.....1999 TransAm
Engine: 385 HSR.....LS1
Transmission: 700R4 with Midwest 3400 2.4str...M6
Axle/Gears: SLP Zexel Posi unit 3.42's...3.73's

well do ya? are ya? J/k ...lol
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

cant say ive ever heard the ****** or trailer comments maybe cos i live in buffalo. I do get the italian retard out cruzin a lot but i am huge dago. and when I race its usually stop light to stop light, these import kids are racing each other on the thruway going 140 zipping around cars. Now I can't say im against going 140 miles an hour but that was on a straight long open road. Their just plain stupid asking for an accident and when the meat wagon has to scrape their guts off the road people blame police to make tougher street racing laws.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wishmaster's87IROC
well do ya? are ya? J/k ...lol
Hardly! LOL
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS, 87 T/A
Engine: 350 TBI, 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42/BW 3.45

The Nissan straight 6 has been around for ages, probably not as long as the 350 but its been around for awhile. I happen to like imports, when done right, they can be just as fun as a camaro, as a matter of fact if i had the money i probably would have both my camaro and an import( i love nissan 240's) ANd as for the fact that they overall picture of kids driving imports recklessly, imports are cheaper. A camaro costs about 1500$, and so does a civic. Now take an extra grand to mod the car and what do you get? you can upgrade an import cheaper than a v8, look at exhaust, a good system would cost us 1000$, they can get one done for like 200$. Trust me i know how expensive my car is lol, im 20 years old and in college paying for everything.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

i still hate it, my maro ran the 1/8 @ 9.6, the only run it ever made with the crappy 2.73, blad azz 215/65's, lost some traction to.......... but whats bad is i got a 05 vtec V6 accord that is faster, 9.1...... it has always made me mad...im sure if i actually install my headers, shift at 5300, and get 3.23 LSD it will be alot better than 9.6

still 4cyl are in the mid to high 10's on the 1/8 some in 11's, and they are they are homo r*i*c*e*r*s ..... i cant stand the wing or fart cannons, gay body kits, cut springs, neon lights etc etc ...... BTW i seen one today with a dude driving it (240sx) and it had a blue female "play toy" (i dont know how else to say it without getting reported) as a shift ****..... and it had every rice mod done to it, still slower than a S10, towing a house down the road

i like my accord 100% stock 4dr, other than a cone filter, the only clue it actually got some stones, is the dual exhaust and that lil V6 badge....people never expect it to get up and go, it dont look the part

but i still rather have my V8 camaro any day.....only bad thing is people expect it to be fast, so there is no susprise factor
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 - LS Swap Incoming
Transmission: 700R4 - T56 Mag F Incoming
Axle/Gears: 3.42

This is funny.
Guess I'll come to the defense of import, oh wait I drive a domestic 4cyl.

I drive an 06 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged.
From the factory runs 14.7 and with a GM performance (called stage 2 cuz everything is a stage since Fast & Fuc*ed up came out) for 500 dollars the car will run high 13's. Put some Drag radials and it's a 13.5 car.

So it depends on what your looking at. Remember power is proportional to weight. x power and x weight means x amount of acceleration. Same x power (y) lighter weight and you get much quicker acceleration.

Pretty simple (Yea I know gear ratios, power band, tq curve, traction, and the billion other factors but in a simplified nut shell it's fact)

I've run a 14.06 at 104mph with a 2.3 60 foot (FWD sucks) on street tires.
The Iroc's only ran what 15.8 stock?

Now granted more cubes more less money to make power. But you gotta understand with more efficiency of newer engines and better manufaturing process you get smaller engines that make good power.

My Cobalt is a 2.0L LSJ engine with an Eaton Roots M62 Supercharger.
It's makes 205hp and 200 tq from the factory. With that Stage 2 I mentioned earlier it makes 245hp and 230tq. So it makes more horsepower than an Lo3 or lo5 stock. More horse than the L98 and the tq is close to an Lo3. Add that with a lighter car (due to the ablitlity to manufacture lighter cars from light alloy while retaining strength) and you get a car that goes faster.

Now again to the defense we're talking stock to stock.
You slap a 400 Block thats twin turbo'd behind anything and it will fly (which is the swap going in my Third gen ).

Eh just my two cents.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s

Originally Posted by Rayzor32
Since when where motors smaller than a bottle of pop with a turbocharger on it running mid 13s ever fast? I'm sorry i don't care how much boost or that 50hp shot of "noss" and 6 foot wing are going to make your car fast. American v8/rearwheel drive platform is a much better platform. I just don't get it someone clue me in.. i mean is it a disease? are people just retarded? Fast n furious makes me wanna puke. All these kids at work think they can smoke my iroc, i seen the kid run his "prelude" at the 1/8th mile and ran 11.66. I literally saw a go kart run that fast that night (run what u brung). I'm running 8-8.10s. Stock irocs are running high 9s. Someone fill me in here cos i see a lot of these kids at skool got these turbo civics and stuff and while the turbo is interesting, and 4cyl is so simple, its just laughable i mean a 4 cyl, I'll drop a 454 on that 4 and itll crush it like a tin can. bigger is better. civics are economy cars nothing more. If you like turbos turbo a smallblock and make 500hp.
You're an idiot. That's about the easiest way i can put it. Not every import owner does that to there car. Just like not every fbody owner has a ******. Not every import car owner wants gobs of power to go down the 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile in your case.

Most 3rd gens from the factory are SLOW compared to newer performance oriented imports. EVO/STI/350Z/G35/Civic SI would probably blow away any non L98 third gen in every category of racing stock vs stock.

Whats wrong with putting a turbo on a 4 cyl? Its modding and its different strokes for different folks get over it. Do what you want to do with your car and so will they.

Its unbelievable how many slow 14 second camaros/mustangs i see on any given track night. Most EVO/STI cars are low 13s most run faster then that where i am. I see lots of turbo civics that cant plant the power to the ground but still run better then a 14 second pass.

Open your eyes a bit there are lots of imports nowadays that would run circles around your Iroc.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.27

There is a replacement for displacement....technology. These imports have it.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

ive never seen an import break 8s at the track ever. the fastest "sti" import guys always rave about i've ever seen did 8.99 at the track most were running 9s and slow ones doing 10s
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM

http://www.dragtimes.com/Honda-Civic-Timeslip-8100.html

8.41 out of a Civic SI.
Depends how much money you want to spend. I can make a winabago do 8's in the 1/4 if I had the money.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 camaro RS, 87 T/A
Engine: 350 TBI, 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.42/BW 3.45

When i went to New England Dragway to run my car they were promoting there new "import wars" thing and they had this guy who was sponsoring it, named ***** Tuning or something, he had an 8 sec Civic hatch and an 9 second 240 there.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

So, when I graduated high school (1978)there were guys with Camaros, Firebirds, Mach 1's V8-Vega's V8-Gremlins, Monzas, chevelles, Javelins and on and on. Nobody paid more that $3000 for any of it. Heck, in my day all you had to do was take a 16 hour course on one weekend at the school via Chevron and you were guaranteed a job at a gas station. Anybody remember that? A job at a gas station? ...Everybody had money if they wanted to work for it and everybody could get a muscle car and money for parts. Ask a kid to go buy a V8 American muscle car today. They might want one but can't afford it, heck who can? And back then, you didn't even have to have insurance, there was no requirement. My kid drives a 1991 Mercury Sable Wagon...hates it so bad he wants to cry, but his insurance is $2400 a year. How's he going to afford to fund American muscle? So why not buy a beat-up import and tune it? And although there are plenty of people who want a 3rd gen, there are probably more who do not. Imports are cool to Generation-X. Chicks dig them. They're popular, they're symbolized on the silver screen. Yes, "Fast & Furious" HOT ROD parts are plentiful, they got all sorts of stuff for them, and when the insurance agent asks "what do you drive?" They're off the hook cause it's a 1990 Honda/Toyota. There is no "one" answer. Thanks, Rant over.......
Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Rayzor32
Maybe you could drop your 454 on this when it's stuffed in an 2300 lb car. methanol-burning 166ci (2.7-liter) produces more than 350 horsepower. The lightweight, inline four-cylinder engine employs an aluminum block and cylinder head with two valves per cylinder.

Name:  839763_article_img_large1.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  12.2 KB[/IMG]

Last edited by Kevin84Z28; 09-25-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Well see back in the day to you guys as I am only 19, cars, they were cheaper. Also it was the thing to do you didn't have all the video games, ipod, and stuff that people spend there money on now. Heck my dad talks all the time of the American muscle cars he beefed up. Now you got to buy the car and all the computer stuff in it so thats why price has gone up so much. Also people don't work like they use too when I was in high school people found it strange that I worked.
Now a days people are blind to American muscle. Had a girl tell me that she hated cars made in the USA because they are "GAS SUCKERS" my friend look at me and is like "Wrong person to say that around". I had fun telling her that my V6 got same if not better gas millage then her V6 import (according to what she said here gas millage was) and that it had 175k and run beautifully and come to find out her car has a break down like every other week and is like 5 or 6 years old. Tuner engines do not last they have nice gas millage at 1st then it goes down hill and they get sluggish. Also she later told me she would rather pay pennies less for gas that makes her engine knock then more for better gas. So I just walk off after that.
Why they pick a tuner? it's cheap to power it up. would take me way more time and money to turbo my engine and they can go on eBay and grab a complete kit cheap. Also I have to say the Do It Yourself is gone too most of the people with nice ride around here just throw money to the shops to do it. Me, I do everything I can myself also i'm not rich so like the $100 bucks for labor to put in a heater core I just did it myself.
I'm done
Also the engine above is still an American engine so no problem here.

Last edited by RS Reaper; 09-25-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 AM
TGO Supporter

So, how did you like getting that top bolt out of the heater core housing?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 L03 700r4 RS
Engine: 1987 WS6 Trans AM Lb2
Transmission: Th350 red neck Performance 3k stall
Axle/Gears: 95 Mustang 8.8 built with 3.73s

It's strange that I ran into this post when I did. I have 2 stories that pertain to this so I'll separate them.

I just went to the track with a few friends of mine; one of them took his girlfriends 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The car is a 2.4 liter with a 5 speed and is posting under 100,000 on the clock, it ran 18.1's and broke a half shaft before the day was out. When I got to looking at the engine it was the cheapest junk I have ever seen in my life! Stamped steel valve covers plastic everything; it seriously looked like every corner was cut to make a cheap piece of crap car that knocks down maybe 25mpg. On the other hand my girlfriend has a 1996 5 speed Nissan Altima that we picked up for her over 2 years ago. This car is very well built and runs strong but working on it is a PAIN and if I were to build a fast car this simply isn't the platform I'de start with period.

I recently built a car for a friend of mine out of literal JUNK, the body was a 1988 Mustang GT body that had gears, and a C6 trans in it. We gutted the crap out of it and had to put a new engine in it due to the old one having a broken oil pump shaft. I literally cranked water out of the cylinders of the replacement motor and installed it with a ton of weight reduction a bit of intake porting and some clever work with the serpentine belt setup. He broke the C6 trans shortly thereafter and we installed a stock C4. This car went 13.7's at 100mph on the junk dry rot street tires it had. Fast foward about 7 months and that car is long gone. I finally talk my friend into buying a 3rd gen that another friend of ours has sitting and he begins making payments. 3 weeks into buying the 3rd gen he says he's buying a 240SX and isn't going to buy the Camaro then proceeds to look up "speed parts" for it online. He about died when I told him he would be lucky to get that car into the 15's. The problem with people now is that they see these Muscle Mustang magazines and Chevy Hi Tech Performance and are convinced they can slap the same bolt ons to their cars and get the same gains, it simply isn't so but it's so hard to show people this.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 AM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
So, how did you like getting that top bolt out of the heater core housing?
No clue, it was like a whole blur of problem after problem but I do remember that trying to get the housing out to be a pain but not as much as the core it's self. Also I had to work around the dash that was only pulled out about 7 or 8 inches. The Haynes repair manual was no help cause the car they did it on was an 80s. So it would say remove this bolt and there would not be one but I made it and learned a lot about my car. Mainly that I need new carpet after seeing the carpet under the center console.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 AM

I don't have a problem with imports but i do have a problem with rice. There can be a tuner where people actually do internals to their engines and computer work. And theres rice where idiots slap on a can, an intake, some nos, and a turbo if they have money and i hate that. I bought my 86 sports coupe with the 305 for 1000$ cash, you just gotta know where to look. Hell if i spent 50k on my car like some of these import guys do i could have a 6sec quarter mile but i dont have that money. I mean you can spend 25k on a car, another 25k on mods or buy a camaro for a grand and spend 49k on mods and whoop anything on the streets.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by 86rsproject
I don't have a problem with imports but i do have a problem with rice. There can be a tuner where people actually do internals to their engines and computer work. And theres rice where idiots slap on a can, an intake, some nos, and a turbo if they have money and i hate that. I bought my 86 sports coupe with the 305 for 1000$ cash, you just gotta know where to look. Hell if i spent 50k on my car like some of these import guys do i could have a 6sec quarter mile but i dont have that money. I mean you can spend 25k on a car, another 25k on mods or buy a camaro for a grand and spend 49k on mods and whoop anything on the streets.
So, I play the devil's advocate here. Say I buy a 1986 Camaro Sports Coupe for $1000, I slap on a bottle of N2O, an intake, headers, and maybe a twin turbo set up. You don't have a problem with that do you? Isn't that the same thing, just a different make and model. I think I know what you're talking about. But it's more like this. They get a cheap body kit and bolt it on like three monkeys f^@king. Then they get the biggest muffler or whatever you call those things, Is that what you mean't by a can? And one of those dumbass wings. Then they drive around like they're formula 1. Oh I forgot, somewhere there will be carbon fiber stickers, and another sticker that says something that ends with .com
Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM

Car: 1984 15th Anv. T/A
Engine: HO 5.0
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: not sure yet!

so, i think that import cars can be done up good, just depends whos behind the wheel, if you get some cocky kid who puts a fart can on and does ground fx and underbody lights.. and wants to race everyone at every light.. thats where the whole annoying ***** thing comes in.. but that goes for the same, if someone did all this crap to a third gen, you guys would dog on that too.

i know its not an import, but just like Werewolf SS, i drive an 08 cobalt ss turbocharged, its a really nice looking fast car, the 4 banger in it puts out 260hp stock, but i dont go racing around town like an *** trying to beat people, i dont have a parkbench on the back, and it doesnt sound like crap.. but it does have the power behind it if i need it.

but you know what? you can't beat the rumble of a v8, or having rwd and just lighting up them tires and sliding sideways.. my cobalt is nice, but id much rather invest money into my camaro going down the track in the 1/4 than my cobalt.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not enough

To me you can "Rice" out any car, weather it be an import or domestic. I have seen mustangs with stupid *** non functional scoops, double or even triple stacked wings, HORRIBLE body kits (google black widow mustang kit, you'll see) made from of all things FIBERGLASS. I've seen the trends come and go, and for my performance entheusiast (sic?) dollar I'll be american muscle in some way shape or form till I die. I do not care for fwd as a performance platform. The tolerances and spaces do not lend them selves well to my giant paws. Nor do I care for their cv joints, I am not trying to speak ill of the fwd entheusiasts here or anywhere, simply put its not for me. I can however respect the honda owner who's gutted and caged his 93 civic stuck a turbo or supercharger or what have you on it and can get it to perform respectably at the track. I have an "e-friend" on another msg board that runs the turbocharged neon, who will happily smoke most "hotrods" he encounters and still gets nearly 30mpg. I respect a well thought out and well put together combination weather it have 8 cyl, 6 cyl, or 4 cyl. I myself caught all kinds of hell for modding a v6 95 mustang. But once I had the engine swapped over to the supercoupe v6, a good dual exhaust, a set of 3.73's and a tlock not many folks wanted to give me crap at the track. It eventually ran a 13 flat at a local 1/4 mile track on a canned tune from VMP out of FL. Had I had it dyno'd I could have possibly broke into the 12's. I know another guy named brian in FL who is running a new edge v6 with nothing more than some performance bolt ons, a good exhaust, minor weight reduction (speakers, spare and I think pass seat removed) a 150 shot of nitrous that runs consistent 12.6's. So please OP dont think that only v8's are worth modding because it simply isnt true.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by hectre13
but you know what? you can't beat the rumble of a v8, or having rwd and just lighting up them tires and sliding sideways.. my cobalt is nice, but id much rather invest money into my camaro going down the track in the 1/4 than my cobalt.
Amen.
Love my little 305 dog motor.
But anyways just for show heres me in my 06 Cobalt vs a guy in a Carb'd 350 third gen Camaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9zQXAmoXo
Old 09-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Car: 1984 15th Anv. T/A
Engine: HO 5.0
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: not sure yet!

although, id admit that id like to take my cobalt to the strip, test out the no lift shift feature and see what kind of times it runs..

but i wouldn't go there talking crap trying to beat people just because i have a turbo.. ;P

heres a pic if you were wondering
Attached Thumbnails why do honda/import "tuner" people think their stuff is fast-301259058_1024314505_0.jpg  

Last edited by hectre13; 09-26-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro/89 Merkur XR4Ti
Engine: 5.0 305 LG4/2.3 Turbo (180hp/205tq)
Transmission: TH700R4 with Shift Improver Kit/T-9
Axle/Gears: 3.42LT1 Rear/3.64

Well to the person who said that imports exhaust is cheaper, its usually because they only have half the pipe, one header,whatever the single pipe that connect to the catback (which is shorter and less in diameter than ours).
Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

Car: 1989 T/A
Engine: PROCHARGED LB9
Transmission: FB BUILT 700r4 2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 BOLT EATON 3:73 POSI

i couldnt even read thrue all the posts here. Why are there thirdgen owners bashing thirdgens and toughting imports? you are obviously not true f-body enthusiasts. if you were you wouldnt all be arguing over 1/8th mile racing. f-body + sbc = perfection. imo anyway..
Old 09-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by hectre13

My feelings exactly. I am sure my 6-speed Acura TL Type-S could easily beat my Camaro at the dragstrip. The dang thing has 280+ horsepower. But the power is all through the front wheels, and the car is so quiet you can't hear it. (I refuse to put a "can" on a luxury car).

The F-body may be slower, but the look, feel and sound put a smile on my face in a way an Acura never could.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

^ i totally agree with you TOM-1LE i also own a bmw m3, now before i put boost to my little 305, my m3 probably would blow the doors off of it in the 1/4. But you still cant compare the two, the feeling i have when i take out my thirdgen, the handling, torque, sound, the lOOks. are all why i luv my thirdgen. btw, thats one really nice camaro 7k original miles. dahm youre a lucky dude. keep it clean and stock, so in 5 yr's when im rich, i can buy it from you. lol.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 1SICIROC.....1999 TransAm
Engine: 385 HSR.....LS1
Transmission: 700R4 with Midwest 3400 2.4str...M6
Axle/Gears: SLP Zexel Posi unit 3.42's...3.73's

Originally Posted by 8T9 BANDIT
i couldnt even read thrue all the posts here. Why are there thirdgen owners bashing thirdgens and toughting imports? you are obviously not true f-body enthusiasts. if you were you wouldnt all be arguing over 1/8th mile racing. f-body + sbc = perfection. imo anyway..
ditto!...screw all imports and the kids that drive them and think they are the ****
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Pair of 92 Z28s

Ya, coming from the guy that also "owns an M3"
Old 09-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevo
Ya, coming from the guy that also "owns an M3"
what r u talking about?
actually the m3 is my DD. good mpg, and enough ***** to pass most on the L.I.E. Try having a daily driver in n.y. with no *****. i dosent work, then you get road rage. ive also owned my thirdgen for 12yr's now, and will never part with it. plans for a second one are coming soon too.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I run mid high 10's in the 1/4 if i hook on my car and there are a few imports around me that i'd be abit nervous about running
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Yea my main problem is those loud *** cans they put on their car that i could fist. But im putting a 350 in my camaro this winter that i've been working on for this last year thats got lots of stuff done to it. True they do buy those cheap cars like i did and do it to them but with those stupid body kits and stickers, they think one of those apexi stickers add like 50 horse power or something.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

there is a del sol in my hometown that runs neck and neck with a turbocharged cobra. cobra is making around 1000rwhp.
the del sol blows the tires off on the dyno and still makes 600-700whp. he cruises it around all the time and it does not have a roll cage.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC

I don't see many rice rockets around here, this is a strong Chrysler, Ford, and GM town, emphasis in Chrysler, because this is the van plant... For now..

Anyway, the few ricers you see have nothing really done to them. My 6 cyl could eat em.. Old Del Sols, and 80's civics.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400

yeah there is a difference between a true import car thats done right and your typical "ric e"
Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4

I find the 4 cylinder non performance Honda and whatever that people try to make fast amusing. Kind of like working on a 2.8L 6 cylinder - sure you can make more power, but why not go V8 from the get go?

When you start talking new imports: 335is, EVOs and STIs, some are fast, most want to look fast and are maybe 3 tenths faster than stock. Carbon fiber splitters and Brembo brake calipers do not make one's vehicle accelerate like a top fuel car.

The real sweet spot was the early 90's Supras, 300Zx, and RX7 - cars that had good motors, good suspesions, and good potential to go fast with the right parts selection. The main problem with those cars is that they were priced like Corvettes and took years to build up any level of credibility. Now they are actually sought after.

Don't get me wrong, GM and Ford are on their way out (from what everybody can tell), but they gave everyone the basis for going fast without getting too technical or having to farm out wrenching to NASA engineers.

I don't know about anyone else, but for $35K I would rather have a thridgen all done up with an LS3 than a brad new S2000 CS.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 AM

Car: 1992 firebird, 2008 focus
Engine: 3.1 6 cylinder
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: stock

sorry rayzor, i perfer my 1990 prelude to my firebird hands down. my motor gave out after 390,000 after a shot of NOS in a race. it was a fun car 2 dirve. it will be my next project after my bird is done. i beat the iroc i was racing though.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

^ yes you prefer youre prelude to youre thirdgen because, youre thirdgen is a tired old 3.1 liter v6..
Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM

Car: 1987 Firebird FORMULA
Engine: 305 ci.
Transmission: 4 speed automatic

Because'' tuner'' people are lil spoiled kids with no taste!!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by formula22
no brains either.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
I find the 4 cylinder non performance Honda and whatever that people try to make fast amusing. Kind of like working on a 2.8L 6 cylinder - sure you can make more power, but why not go V8 from the get go?

When you start talking new imports: 335is, EVOs and STIs, some are fast, most want to look fast and are maybe 3 tenths faster than stock. Carbon fiber splitters and Brembo brake calipers do not make one's vehicle accelerate like a top fuel car.

The real sweet spot was the early 90's Supras, 300Zx, and RX7 - cars that had good motors, good suspesions, and good potential to go fast with the right parts selection. The main problem with those cars is that they were priced like Corvettes and took years to build up any level of credibility. Now they are actually sought after.

Don't get me wrong, GM and Ford are on their way out (from what everybody can tell), but they gave everyone the basis for going fast without getting too technical or having to farm out wrenching to NASA engineers.

I don't know about anyone else, but for $35K I would rather have a thridgen all done up with an LS3 than a brad new S2000 CS.

hey now watch the 2.8L v6 comments
this was only 9 psi and cost me less then the v8 swap :P

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/t...o-3_186658.htm

Last edited by project89; 09-29-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

dont worry project89 you dont apply to the "tuner" crowd. that thirdgen is all muscle imo. ripping on you, would be like talking smak about gn's. not cool.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

Originally Posted by formula22
Originally Posted by 8T9 BANDIT
no brains either.
no, and no.

"tuner" people who prefer to mad/race imports/small motor domestics (cobalts, srt3's) rather than your typical American v8, Camaro, corvette ,mustang, nova, gto, firebird and other muscle cars. tuners are very legitimate, they do amazing things with their cars that make them preform very well, yes its a very different approach, to go fast, but it works just as well. r!ce on the other hand is dumb, stickers as "performance mods", fart cans for 8hp gain, and a huge wing that needs 18hp to overcome its drag to be as fast as stock that gives the rear wheels more traction in a fwd car. and to say anyone is a little spoiled kid, who id dumb based on their car is ignorant. ok maybe thats the trend, but there ARE kids like that driving third gen camaros, he11 im 18, and i think about oh, that would be a cool sticker to put across the top of my wind sheild, but do i think it makes my car faster? no. looks cool? i may think so, you don't oh well its not "r!ce" because its a camaro. just make ur cars faster, enjoy, love how good looking they are, and respect the other car guys out their regardless of what they drive so long as you can respect the person driving it, gas prices are going up, what if we cant drive these cars in 20 years? is it worth saying "oh your gay because you have a r!ce rocket" cuz u dont like it, and dividing the automotive world? no, its not. so stop bashing other guys just for the sake of it, and grow up.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

lol sad thing is my lil v6 car here is fast enough to embarass alot of the v8 cars on this site.

im hoping to get the car into the mid 11's before the season is done as thats all the size turbo i have on the car right now is capable of.

next year im steping up to a gt35r ball bearing unit which will be able to get me into the low 10's
Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

Originally Posted by project89
lol sad thing is my lil v6 car here is fast enough to embarass alot of the v8 cars on this site.

im hoping to get the car into the mid 11's before the season is done as thats all the size turbo i have on the car right now is capable of.

next year im steping up to a gt35r ball bearing unit which will be able to get me into the low 10's
thats not sad, its awesome you'll be in the 10's! in a 3rd gen! what else matters really? its a v6? still faster than me (not cool man, you make my v8 have image problems.... )
Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
thats not sad, its awesome you'll be in the 10's! in a 3rd gen! what else matters really? its a v6? still faster than me (not cool man, you make my v8 have image problems.... )

yup its a v6 and its not even of the buick brand its a 2.8 120hp chevy motor

pssst its actually a 3.1(130hp) but for everyone at the track its still a 2.8 hehe

at 9 psi its making around 310rwhp and around 385 at the crank
Name:  100_1395Medium.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  70.9 KB

Quick Reply: why do honda/import "tuner" people think their stuff is fast