History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

1992 Camaro Z28, 1LE Article

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 - full intake & exhaust boltons
Transmission: Bowtie 700r4, 2400 rpm stall
Axle/Gears: Borg-Warner 9bolt, 3.45 gears, posi
1992 Camaro Z28, 1LE Article

http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...lt_challenger/
Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Trans Am 1LE JY
Engine: 305/5.0
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: 1992 Camaro Z28, 1LE Article

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Overdrive Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1 Positraction

Nice, mine looks the same color at different times of the day under certain light angles even tho its a little bit more green. I wonder if they built a teal '92 1 LE
Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Sweet ride for sure and that is one hard top I would own.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro-1LE
Engine: TPI(s)
Transmission: 5 speed (MM5, MK6)
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.73

Hey ... that's my buddies car! Very nice ride ... all original except tires. Very very clean survivor. And never raced. True 1LE R7U car. 1st one build of the R7U batch.

I even got to drive it ... very nice!

Mark.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Thats cool you know the owner. Yes its a very nice car. I've never seen a '92 Z28 in person in that color before either.

Originally Posted by Mark_ZZ3
Hey ... that's my buddies car! Very nice ride ... all original except tires. Very very clean survivor. And never raced. True 1LE R7U car. 1st one build of the R7U batch.

I even got to drive it ... very nice!

Mark.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

1992 Chevy Camaro - Factory-Built Challenger

As factory performance started to stir from its Malaise Era hibernation, Chevrolet decided to crank out some track-ready Camaros

By Patrick Hill, Photography by Robert McGaffin

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...#ixzz20XvqGXAG

On the heels of the '12 COPO Camaro drag cars being released by GM, it's a good time to look back at some of the factory racing pedigree that spices up the Camaro's history. It's easy to remember the first-gen Z/28s and their dominance on the SCCA circuit, and the '69 ZL1s and COPO iron-block 427 cars that were fixtures at the dragstrip. What many don't know about were the factory-built 1LE cars from 1989-92.
The SCCA had created the Showroom Stock Racing series for such factory-built cars, and north of the border in Canada, Motorsports Division Players Challenge/GM Motorsports Race Series took advantage of this. Order code R7U took the 1LE-prepped Camaro, and added a hand-built LB9 305 (205 hp in 1992), special heavy-duty five-speed manual trans, and a performance chip for the TPI-equipped engine computers. Each engine was dyno tested at the factory after assembly, and then the bolts were paint-marked to note it was a sealed piece.
The Camaros were assembled in Van Nuys, California, alongside sibling Pontiacs. The interiors had certain options declared verboten to make installation of roll cages easier and keep weight down. To help promote the series, Chevy made them so drivers/owners could use them on the street. The series raced at road courses across North America, and after each season the cars could be sold and used as regular street vehicles, so each year a new Camaro could be ordered by the racers.
Our feature subject was one of only 30 built for the last year of the Canadian racing series, but it never made it to the track. Tom Hollinsworth has owned a variety of classic Chevys over the years, but it was his son's passion for third-gen F-bodies that got Tom interested in the 1LEs. He also had friends who raced in the Players Challenge series, and had some personal knowledge particular to the Camaros built for the series.

While cruising the Internet one day, Tom's son came across the Medium Quasar Blue '92 for sale. It was in pristine condition, having never been raced, and still had all its original documentation. It didn't take long for a deal to be struck, and the car came home to Tom's collection. Only five out of the 30 built in '92 were painted in Medium Quasar Blue, giving it rarest of the rare status. Since GM of Canada keeps detailed records on all vehicles sold in the Great White North, Tom was able to further verify the lineage, including that it was the first 1LE/RU7 Camaro built in 1992.

Tom gave us a chance to climb behind the wheel and experience just how good the Camaro felt at the 2011 Edmonton Super Chevy Show. With only 52,000 miles on the clock, the F-body was tight, and drove like brand new. The torquey 305 and five-speed felt great, and there were none of the usual squeaks and rattles we're used to when driving well-worn third-gens (especially those with T-tops). Back in 1990, Editor Campy strip tested a new 1LE IROC at Raceway Park in New Jersey, where it ran 14.6 at 94 mph. It was amazing on the Lime Rock Park road course, too, the best handling and braking F-body to that point.
These 1LEs could be bought for less than $20k. While they don't boast high horsepower numbers, they'll be remembered for relative simplicity, affordability, and connection to the dawn of the new performance era.

While cruising the Internet one day, Tom's son came across the Medium Quasar Blue '92 for sale. It was in pristine condition, having never been raced, and still had all its original documentation. It didn't take long for a deal to be struck, and the car came home to Tom's collection. Only five out of the 30 built in '92 were painted in Medium Quasar Blue, giving it rarest of the rare status. Since GM of Canada keeps detailed records on all vehicles sold in the Great White North, Tom was able to further verify the lineage, including that it was the first 1LE/RU7 Camaro built in 1992.
Tom gave us a chance to climb behind the wheel and experience just how good the Camaro felt at the 2011 Edmonton Super Chevy Show. With only 52,000 miles on the clock, the F-body was tight, and drove like brand new. The torquey 305 and five-speed felt great, and there were none of the usual squeaks and rattles we're used to when driving well-worn third-gens (especially those with T-tops). Back in 1990, Editor Campy strip tested a new 1LE IROC at Raceway Park in New Jersey, where it ran 14.6 at 94 mph. It was amazing on the Lime Rock Park road course, too, the best handling and braking F-body to that point.
These 1LEs could be bought for less than $20k. While they don't boast high horsepower numbers, they'll be remembered for relative simplicity, affordability, and connection to the dawn of the new performance era.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 AM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA

Beautiful!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM

If You wouldn't mind changing or adding ONE thing... or TWO, personally if originality wasn't a MUST MUST MUST HAVE ! .. I mean if it is you can forget it I can live with it 100% completely original I'd actually prefer it stays original but just saying speaking my mind of the unthinkable undreamable fantasy .... I would just Add the Fog Lights, with an original switch for '92, just because it looks a little bit Like Dracula, with the Fogs in front it looks like its got its Fangs showing, like its giving you that Sinister Smile that Only the Badass Legendary Muscle Cars do and without them it looks too plain, almost like something is missing, at least that's the way I see it. And to those that would like to make it even that more Deadly well.... Today You can Very easily Take out the 305 Block and swap in a 350 connect everything put in 22lb Injectors ( or if your that bold of a Daredevil swap in a forbidden LS1-7 ? ). then take out the made for 305s T-5 and put in the T56 that will be able to handle the 350lbs Torque of the ( 'L98' or 'LS1-7 ?' your preference ) better. and just to top it off like the cherry on top of the Sundae maybe the same simple Flowmaster 80's series 3" Catback that I've got on mine with the chrome tips with an angle cut Installed and when its all combined..... GET OUTTA THE WAY !! God has come to take some Souls !

Last edited by Phenom-1; 11-28-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Yeah but you can just take a 350-t56 car and add the 1LE brakes... thats quite a bit easier. The 1LE package was just brakes. Most didnt get A/C but that's not a big deal really. IT was the brakes that mattered, and the brakes were why they came out with the 1LE package. The 70's cutlass rotors couldnt cut the mustard on a racetrack, so the second year of the player's challenge GM made the Corvette C4HD (I think the HD) caliper retrofit package a dealer option for the guys who wanted to race these.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 AM

I Wuss just sayin you know 'cause of the Unique 1LE bragging rights that come with owning one, if that'd be the case, otherwise you can just get a '92 RS 5.0 tbi M5 and do the Z28 conversion like the spoiler, hood blisters, Z28 25th Anniversary dash badge, 16" wheels, bowtie grill, Fogs n switch & 145mph cluster, swap out the tbi for an LS or L98 & swap it from T5 to T56. and do the 1LE up with Brembo or Brutestop slotted & drilled rotors & Hawk Brake Pads, bigger sway bars, 3.42s 28spline axles, driveshaft loop for the aluminum driveshaft, traction bars, fresh Bilsteins & 1" lowered hotchkis springs followed by the Flowmaster Exhaust. It'd still be the same Badass car except that anybody that checked the vin would oust you as a cloner if you feel like bragging that you have a 1LE Street Ripper.

Last edited by Phenom-1; 11-29-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Dang thats sweet!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Yeah but you can just take a 350-t56 car and add the 1LE brakes... thats quite a bit easier. The 1LE package was just brakes. Most didnt get A/C but that's not a big deal really. IT was the brakes that mattered, and the brakes were why they came out with the 1LE package. The 70's cutlass rotors couldnt cut the mustard on a racetrack, so the second year of the player's challenge GM made the Corvette C4HD (I think the HD) caliper retrofit package a dealer option for the guys who wanted to race these.
It also included A/C and radio delete, aluminum driveshaft, larger baffled gas tank, and a few other small things. Too bad GM didn't take out 100lbs of extra dead weight on those cars too.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
It also included A/C and radio delete, aluminum driveshaft, larger baffled gas tank, and a few other small things. Too bad GM didn't take out 100lbs of extra dead weight on those cars too.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...992-1le-c.html

They're not as special as they're made out to be. It's real easy to just make a better car out of a non 1LE car using more common parts. Point was that 1LE's are awesme because of their history and their rarity. Getting one to make it into some kind of supercar is silly because it's a lot easier to just build a better car out of a normal third gen. They got a few neat parts, but the main feature was the brakes, and those are old hat these days.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 AM

Point of the article is, the R7U cars were the last factory-built stripper racecar you could buy from the Big 3 - - any "race package" sold since still comes with AC etc. I don't know that anyone has since sold a V8 car without AC.

True, with 230 hp (article was wrong) the car was not that quick by modern standards. I had one on the track with race tires for a season and it could be driven flat out, everywhere on the track, fast as that little 305 would go - - it NEVER overheated, the 1LE brakes NEVER faded with Hawk pads, it just went and went - - right off the showroom floor, fast as I could drive it. Within 2 seconds on a 2-mile roadcourse of a well-driven brand new $45,000 5.0 Boss Mustang - - with 20 year-old technology.

Could the car use another couple of hundred HP? Sure, I'm building one right now. Was the 1LE package something special? By any standards, yes it was. Designed straight from proven factory-backed racetrack experience, hard to beat THAT budget.

And Phenom-1, think about what it would cost to add on all the stuff you listed to a hardtop LB9 T5 f-body, and delete the AC yourself since you couldn't buy one any other way . . . 1LE back then was much more than just a decal package and fancy shocks, it was an engineered system. If you think there's any use in cloning a 1LE, you're missing the point.

Last edited by Copperhead; 12-09-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Supreme Member

I agree. By today's standards the 1LE set up isn't going to compete at all with the carbon ceramic brakes found on the C6 ZR1's.

The 1LE package was a nice, well designed, factory hot rod with all of the speed parts that the factory had available. There are many of us (myself included) that would like to upgrade to the 1LE style brakes. That brake set up is still the standard that aftermarket kits must live up to and surpass. It's well designed, parts are easy to find and it works. Nothing fancy. Sometimes simplicity is best.

Sure there are ways that you can increase the performance on a thirdgen. That's not what the article is for. The article is saying for the late 1988-1992 thirdgen Camaros the 1LE package had all of the go-fast factory speed parts in one package.

What I really wish people would pay attention to is the way the factory did their upgrades and kept that in mind in their own cars when mods start coming on. Even the bushings in the stock factory rear control arms have a different part number for a stiffer bushing than the non-1LE cars.

The 1LE cars used factory drivetrains. The brakes, suspension, fog light delete for better cooling, etc. were all balanced. How many times have you seen a car with a lot of engine mods and still running the factory 10.5'' disk brakes.

At the most, the L98 was rated at 245 hp and 345 foot pounds of torque from the factory for the 1990-1992 model years in the the Camaros. Change the heads, cam, intake, exhaust, add a supercharger, etc. and you will easily increase the power and surpass what was available from the factory. Thats good, now can the chassis put that power to the ground? Is the suspension up to the task of putting up with the additional power while still giving good road feed back and control? What about the transmission, can it stand up to the abuse you are going to put it through?

Yes the factory stuff can be improved upon - the 1LE cars don't have an acception to the rule their. GM did a lot of upgrades all the way around to improve the performance of the car by paying attention to areas that are really going to affect performance. The lack of creature comforts was another effort to keep the weight down to around 3,100-3,200 pounds. Go to an autocross or road circuit event and even today with minimal mods thirdgens have no trouble keeping up with more modern cars. The 1LE just adds improved performance to what was already a good start from the factory.

Last edited by yaj15; 12-09-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by yaj15
I agree. By today's standards the 1LE set up isn't going to compete at all with the carbon ceramic brakes found on the C6 ZR1's.
Of course not, we are comparing a 25 year old brake system to a brand new one using top of the line parts. Then again anything can be retrofitted.

The 1LE package was a nice, well designed, factory hot rod with all of the speed parts that the factory had available. There are many of us (myself included) that would like to upgrade to the 1LE style brakes. That brake set up is still the standard that aftermarket kits must live up to and surpass. It's well designed, parts are easy to find and it works. Nothing fancy. Sometimes simplicity is best.
It was an improvement, but not something killer.

What I really wish people would pay attention to is the way the factory did their upgrades and kept that in mind in their own cars when mods start coming on. Even the bushings in the stock factory rear control arms have a different part number for a stiffer bushing than the non-1LE cars.
Understand that GM was a notoriously cheap company when it came to parts - every control arm in the 3rd gens is bent sheetmetal, not some tubular item that BMW might use. And with some of the race series not allowing certain changes, GM responded with those bushings (for example) - still crap...

The 1LE cars used factory drivetrains. The brakes, suspension, fog light delete for better cooling, etc. were all balanced. How many times have you seen a car with a lot of engine mods and still running the factory 10.5'' disk brakes.
I see idiots with 60's cars with 4 wheel drums that are fast all the time at car shows and at the track.

At the most, the L98 was rated at 245 hp and 345 foot pounds of torque from the factory for the 1990-1992 model years in the the Camaros. Change the heads, cam, intake, exhaust, add a supercharger, etc. and you will easily increase the power and surpass what was available from the factory. Thats good, now can the chassis put that power to the ground? Is the suspension up to the task of putting up with the additional power while still giving good road feed back and control? What about the transmission, can it stand up to the abuse you are going to put it through?
Factory chassis was barely up to putting L98 power to the ground, that was mostly due to cheap components and easily remedied by putting aftermarket replacements for swap.

Yes the factory stuff can be improved upon - the 1LE cars don't have an acception to the rule their. GM did a lot of upgrades all the way around to improve the performance of the car by paying attention to areas that are really going to affect performance. The lack of creature comforts was another effort to keep the weight down to around 3,100-3,200 pounds. Go to an autocross or road circuit event and even today with minimal mods thirdgens have no trouble keeping up with more modern cars. The 1LE just adds improved performance to what was already a good start from the factory.
The things they did dropped the car about 100lbs into the 3300lb range (without driver).

Yes, the thirdgens can hold their own on the track, even with the stock parts spec handicaps some series put in place.

I personally never though much of the 1LE package other than giving the cars enough extra stuff to have them perform decent on a track and not destroy themselves in 3 laps. The only two things of consequence are the brakes and baffled fuel tank - you can easily remove things that were there like AC, radio, and fog lights. Ok, it does save weight, but if they were serious, why didn't they make a factory fiberglass or plastic hood like the Z28 CFI cars? Or an engine oil cooler? Or how about even some other "on the shelf" items to improve power and handling and reduce weight?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Engine oil coolers were available in the regular non-1LE camaros as well. I know for a fact that from 1987-1992 the L98 Camaros came with the KC4 option oil cooler. It was one of the manditory options that came with the L98.

I agree with the previous poster - many things can be improved upon with modern aftermarket parts. But if we are strictly talking about 100% factory stock cars, the 1LE cars are going to hold a slot in the top portion of the list of the best factory performance cars to pay attention to. They had the factory go-fast parts that many of us would have wanted from the factory when these cars were new.

Yes the 1LE option thirdgens can easily be improved upon by things in the aftermarket today. Thats not the point of this article. It was just to show what a 1LE thirdgen was like and give a little history on the 1LE option.

Last edited by yaj15; 12-10-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 2:77

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
I realize this is an old thread. But just in case someone stumbles across it like I did I feel it is necessary to correct this statement. 1LE is NOT just brakes. The PROM was tuned differently, the 5 speed transmissions had a totally different 5th gear, an aluminum driveshaft and special shocks not used on any other Camaro was reportedly used. Then there are the weight savings measures too but those are less unique to the 1LE. No disrespect to the original statement intended. This info might not have been easy to get back when this thread was first posted.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

1LE was a "package" of a number of things. The one key item only available in 1LE, not available outside 1LE were the brakes. That is really the message. Front struts and rear shocks were unique to 1LE as well. The transmission was available outside 1LE as was the the aluminum driveshaft. Proms were not 1LE specific.

Plus lots of 1LE cars with power options and T-tops were made.

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: 2:77

I believe even now in 2016 there is still some mystery on these 1LE cars. I knew that many of the options were in the bin for others to choose and some were not. I've never seen a T-Top 1LE but I have seen them with power windows and locks.

What I really need to know is the final no doubt for sure truth on the PROM. I've read multiple articles that say the PROM was unique. And since my PO switched out the ECM the original PROM for my car is gone.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I have to question the shocks/struts also. Are you referring to the entire strut assembly, including the spring? For a "race" car, I can see the springs being different compared to a "street" car, but they had the same springs. I have SPID labels for many 1LEs and most of them have the 8NN/9NN spring codes, but there are some with the 8NL/9NL. I also have a SPID from an '87 IROC-Z with the 8NN/9NN. My IROC-Z has 8NL/9NL. So unless the shocks and gas strut was different, there's another 1LE specific item myth dispelled.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by neilcase
I believe even now in 2016 there is still some mystery on these 1LE cars. I knew that many of the options were in the bin for others to choose and some were not. I've never seen a T-Top 1LE but I have seen them with power windows and locks.

What I really need to know is the final no doubt for sure truth on the PROM. I've read multiple articles that say the PROM was unique. And since my PO switched out the ECM the original PROM for my car is gone.
The proms on the R7U cars were different for sure as they allowed the removal of the SRS & PASS Key systems - which could present a problem when racing. There is another thread here on the fuel air mix of the stock/1LE/R7U proms which should prove beneficial to you as well.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I have to question the shocks/struts also. Are you referring to the entire strut assembly, including the spring? For a "race" car, I can see the springs being different compared to a "street" car, but they had the same springs. I have SPID labels for many 1LEs and most of them have the 8NN/9NN spring codes, but there are some with the 8NL/9NL. I also have a SPID from an '87 IROC-Z with the 8NN/9NN. My IROC-Z has 8NL/9NL. So unless the shocks and gas strut was different, there's another 1LE specific item myth dispelled.
I'd be interested in seeing the 8NN/9NN SPID you have Scott to see how the car was equipped. My 87 IROC has the 8NL/9NL codes like yours as did the white 5.7 car I had last spring, but my 91 1LE Z28 has the 8NN/9NN ones - both are LB9/5spd G92 cars.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 400 ci LS3
Transmission: Jerico DR4

My 1991 1LE has 8NL/9NL spring codes. It's an LB9 car without the B4C package.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
If I recall 8NN was the common one in the R7U cars. There was a list ... teams could swap them out as long as the car wasn't lower than the minimum limit.

The other odd thing ... 1LE rear sway bar was different size over the years. Bigger on the TA's at 24mm, and 23 or 21 on Iroc. In the R7U cars ... by 1991/92 all rear bars were 21 (oversteer issues).

1LE is more of a Mystery story. So many combinations.

Mark.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Car: 1989 IROC G92 LB9 MK6
Transmission: MK6
Axle/Gears: 3.45

FWIW, own a '91 1LE Trans Am with 8NL, 9NL springs.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Car: 87 Iroc 5.7,67 SS Camaro,90 Formula
Engine: 355 AFR Superram LPE 219
Transmission: 700r4 3000 stall 4spd 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I'd love a factory 1LE car one day..
Old 02-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
I'd be interested in seeing the 8NN/9NN SPID you have Scott to see how the car was equipped. My 87 IROC has the 8NL/9NL codes like yours as did the white 5.7 car I had last spring, but my 91 1LE Z28 has the 8NN/9NN ones - both are LB9/5spd G92 cars.
I was digging through some Players racing material and came across spring listings for 87-89.

Camaro:
Front production was CDB for 87-89
Service replacement was CDB for 87-89

Rear production was NNN 87, NNL 88, NNN 89
Service replacement was NNN for 87-89

Firebird
Front production was BZW for 87-88, and CDB for 89
Service replacement BZX for 87-88 and CDB for 89

Rear production was NNL 87-89
Service Replacement was NNL 87-89.

The differences was due to the weight of the cars in 87-89. By 1989 the cars were nearly identical. But in 1987 and 1988 teams ordered the cars and could use X05 or X06 to add power windows, power locks, tilt, delay wipers, radio, etc. In 1989 ... no choices other than color!

Cheers!
Mark.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Car: Teal 92 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I have a teal 92 z28 5.7 and my codes read for a 1LE. We are restoring it for my 17 yr old 1st car. Everything matches up for a 1LE but we have AC. Is there a Camaro god out there that can confirm our codes?

The codes denote a 1LE, plz help educate us. Thank u!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM

He was showing off his 6pack....lil bastig😁
we put the factory rims back on.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by rushtk
I have a teal 92 z28 5.7 and my codes read for a 1LE. We are restoring it for my 17 yr old 1st car. Everything matches up for a 1LE but we have AC. Is there a Camaro god out there that can confirm our codes?

The codes denote a 1LE, plz help educate us. Thank u!

If it's a 1LE, you will see "1LE" as one of the codes on that sticker. Unless my eyes deceive me, that car is NOT a 1LE - especially if it has factory AC. However, as a hardtop Z28 G92 teal Camaro from 1992, it's still a very cool car.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Thank you for the response, I guess we got lucky then with it having the 3.73 posi, aluminum driveshaft, vet brakes, and such from the factory. This site is great to get educated! Thank u.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by KMK454
If it's a 1LE, you will see "1LE" as one of the codes on that sticker. Unless my eyes deceive me, that car is NOT a 1LE - especially if it has factory AC. However, as a hardtop Z28 G92 teal Camaro from 1992, it's still a very cool car.
thank you
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rushtk
Thank you for the response, I guess we got lucky then with it having the 3.73 posi, aluminum driveshaft, vet brakes, and such from the factory. This site is great to get educated! Thank u.
What code shows the 3.73 posi?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77 Posi

GU5 means your Z was originally equipped with a 3.23. The 3.73 gear set was not available with the L98 (it’s possible a PO has regeared to 3.73’s). JG1 is the RPO for the factory aluminum driveshaft, which your SPID does not list.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by KMK454
I apologize, I went back and looked at my notebook and my codes GU5 is axle ratio 3.23 G80 is limited slip. G92 Axle rear ratio, performance. We are having 3.73 put in on the 1st.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1988 Iroc 5.7
GU5 means your Z was originally equipped with a 3.23. The 3.73 gear set was not available with the L98 (it’s possible a PO has regeared to 3.73’s). JG1 is the RPO for the factory aluminum driveshaft, which your SPID does not list.
I guess I was confused by the code G92, in the Camaro white book the drive shaft was included.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1988 Iroc 5.7

Guess I read things incorrectly. Thanks for the clarity.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The book can be misunderstood really easily. You have to read the book chronologically from 1982 to follow how the book builds upon the data from the previous year. When talking about the 1LE option, the book assumes you read the sections on earlier years that explain the 1LE order 'trick' of ordering the G92 option, and deleting the Air Conditioning, to order a 1LE.

What the book is saying is that G92 includes (blah blah blah) options, and when G92 is combined with deleting A/C, it triggers the additional 1LE options.

Issues with the message getting corrupted are common when discussing and researching the 1LE option, which is a large part of why there is so much confusion surrounding the topic.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

PS, almost forgot... 3.73 gears on a stock 350 TPI car will just amplify the already excessive low end torque, and rocket the engine to the "TPI wall" faster. In laymans terms, you'll go slower with 3.73 gears than the stock 3.23s. FWIW.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
PS, almost forgot... 3.73 gears on a stock 350 TPI car will just amplify the already excessive low end torque, and rocket the engine to the "TPI wall" faster. In laymans terms, you'll go slower with 3.73 gears than the stock 3.23s. FWIW.
Well that sucks I already bought it! Thanks
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the info...now I have to go find out what the hell a TPI wall is.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

When a TPI engine hits about 4,500-5,000 rpm, it'll stop pulling, almost like it hits a wall. Idle to 4k feels like being strapped to a rocket, then it's like trying to drive thru jello. Mods that increase torque at low rpm will usually just translate to more tire spin. Go to sticky-er tires, and the 10-bolt will lunch. Only way to get around the TPI is to un-tune the intake, aka swap from TPI to something else.

There are real reasons there aren't a lot of fast TPI cars out there. Traditional performance mods usually don't work that well since they often shift the operating rpm range higher, into the range that the TPI intake isnt tuned to operate.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 PM

When a TPI engine hits about 4,500-5,000 rpm, it'll stop pulling, almost like it hits a wall. Idle to 4k feels like being strapped to a rocket, then it's like trying to drive thru jello. Mods that increase torque at low rpm will usually just translate to more tire spin. Go to sticky-er tires, and the 10-bolt will lunch. Only way to get around the TPI is to un-tune the intake, aka swap from TPI to something else.

There are real reasons there aren't a lot of fast TPI cars out there. Traditional performance mods usually don't work that well since they often shift the operating rpm range higher, into the range that the TPI intake isnt tuned to operate.
Thank you again for the education. We have eliminated the smog system, EGR, and cats. Cut out some plastic inline with the air filters, 22lbs injectors, 160 Tstat, the radiator line directly to the TPI, 3INCH stainless and headers. My son will drive 1 mile to school and 5 miles to town with the farthest being 100 miles to Columbus. He's 17.