Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

WS6 parts = same as trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI, Hedman shorties
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23, non-posi drum
WS6 parts = same as trans am?

I am gonna order new shocks and struts for my 88 Formula tomorrow to replace my current tired ones ... before my teeth fall out from hitting the pot-holes in Rhode Island. I swear... this state's roads are the worst.

I've looked high and low and haven't yet found a parts supplier that differentiates between shocks / struts / springs for a base V8 Firebird and a WS6-equipped Trans Am.

My guess is it's safe to assume the following:
order Trans Am spec shocks and struts and assume they are WS6 spec, since a Formula is mechanically a T/A without the body kit and interior refinements.

I plan on ordering this set:
https://www.amazon.com/KYB-FRONT-REAR-shocks-struts/dp/B002M5753G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490131001&sr=8-2&keywords=shocks+trans+am https://www.amazon.com/KYB-FRONT-REAR-shocks-struts/dp/B002M5753G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490131001&sr=8-2&keywords=shocks+trans+am

Am I right? Does the same logic apply for springs too? I can't be the only one that's wondered the same... thanks in advance for the help guys!

Last edited by 88BlackFormula; 03-23-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: WS6 parts = same as trans am?

yep those will work, ws6's included upgraded anti-sway bars, springs, shocks& struts, wheels and tires,and a different steering box ratio. also some years got a mandatory rear disc set up. nothing about the way the shocks and struts mounted changed, just the shocks themselves were better back in the day. the springs follow the same logic.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

The WS6 cars got the "best" parts (typically the stiffest parts front and rear, even stiffer than a similarly optioned camaro, but autocrossers typically want softer rear parts), but depending on the year and what you ordered a regular TA or Formula could have gotten the same parts.

As far as the aftermarket is concerned the same parts will bolt into a base model through a WS6 car, so the spec the same parts depending on the performance level of the parts you're buying for all of them (which generally is close enough for most, honestly most people put new, not worn out parts on a car and think it handles worlds better even if they don't match some of the existing worn out parts).

The possible exception to that is the brake pads and rotors, but different years did different things there, like the early cars all got the same brakes and it didn't matter.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI, Hedman shorties
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23, non-posi drum

Thanks for the info and feedback guys, much appreciated.

I ended up picking up the set of 4 KYB Excel-G's plus a pair of strut bearings for under $275 shipped (!!!!) from www.shockwarehouse.com

Unbelievable deal! Take note if you're in need!