Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil in the Water

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: N/A
Engine: N/A
Transmission: N/A
Oil in the Water

I have very dirty water like oily, I flushed the radiator several times and it gets dirty again, from what I read in some other threads is very difficult that is engine oil, sounds more like transmission oil since both share the same radiator.

To start I will disconnect the hoses from the transmission lines that plug into the radiator and will set up an external cooler with a filter.

After that will plug the old lines in the radiator and flush it a couple of times again and see what happen from there.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM

Re: Oil in the Water

Im tapping the old hydraulic line and putting a fitting for a 1/2 hose, and then to the filter, to the cooler and back to the tranny.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Does your car have the optional oil cooler? What color is the oil if you let it seperate for abit. Automatic trans?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Does your car have the optional oil cooler? What color is the oil if you let it seperate for abit. Automatic trans?
I dont know if has "the optional oil cooler"

I haven't let it separate...

Auto transmission, yes.

Last edited by cheves; 03-23-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Check above the oil filter. If there is a odine oil watercheat exchanger there it may be the culprit. I would drain both engine oil and tranny oil to inspect for coolant. Tranny clutched use water based glues and even ta bit of water in the oil will screw up your trans.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 AM

Check above the oil filter. If there is a odine oil watercheat exchanger there it may be the culprit. I would drain both engine oil and tranny oil to inspect for coolant. Tranny clutched use water based glues and even ta bit of water in the oil will screw up your trans.
This are some pictures of the filter area:

Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

No heat exchanger there
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM

No heat exchanger there
Any ideas where the oil is getting to the water?

I replaced the oil and I saw no water.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 87 Formula, 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi, 305tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Probably an internal leak in the radiator. The trans cooler runs through the radiator. I saw it quite a few times when I worked at Chevy on Blazers. You could pressurize the trans cooler with an air nozzle on one fitting and block off the other. If you hear air coming out you have found your leak. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jkris53406
Probably an internal leak in the radiator. The trans cooler runs through the radiator. I saw it quite a few times when I worked at Chevy on Blazers. You could pressurize the trans cooler with an air nozzle on one fitting and block off the other. If you hear air coming out you have found your leak. Good luck!
I'm deleting the radiator trans cooler and installing an independent cooler with the parts in the second post.
If that doesn't fix it?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 87 Formula, 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi, 305tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

You will still have oil in the water for a while or a leak out the cooler line holes. I would replace the radiator to start and go from there
Old 05-22-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jkris53406
You will still have oil in the water for a while or a leak out the cooler line holes. I would replace the radiator to start and go from there

The transmission now goes to a separate cooler.

Also drained the system, replaced the radiator, used new water and after a 3 miles drive the water is still coming dirty like rusty.

FML!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Add 1 cup of Lestoil (buy it at Lowes) to the radiator. It will break down the oil so that it will mix with the water. Drain, flush, refill with water, try it again. If you still get oil, then it was not coming from the transmission.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

How does oil get into the cooling system?

When oil is found in engine coolant, it resembles the consistency of a milkshake. These two fluids mixing is very bad, because it means that a major engine gasket has failed, creating an internal leak which can quickly destroy your engine. The most common way oil and coolant mix is when a head gasket blows.

What would cause oil to be in the radiator?

According to Eric the Car Guy, a blown head gasket denotes that the combustion system is leaking oil into the cooling chamber of the car. Head gasket failure is often the most frequent reason for such a leak. Another possibility is that a leaking intake gasket is causing an oil problem.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
Add 1 cup of Lestoil (buy it at Lowes) to the radiator. It will break down the oil so that it will mix with the water. Drain, flush, refill with water, try it again. If you still get oil, then it was not coming from the transmission.
I will do it this weekend.

When oil is found in engine coolant, it resembles the consistency of a milkshake. These two fluids mixing is very bad, because it means that a major engine gasket has failed, creating an internal leak which can quickly destroy your engine. The most common way oil and coolant mix is when a head gasket blows.

According to Eric the Car Guy, a blown head gasket denotes that the combustion system is leaking oil into the cooling chamber of the car. Head gasket failure is often the most frequent reason for such a leak. Another possibility is that a leaking intake gasket is causing an oil problem.
The water doesn't look milky, it looks more like rusty.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

That's corrosion from the engine block. You will just have to keep flushing it. Lookup some videos on how to do it.

GD
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
That's corrosion from the engine block. You will just have to keep flushing it. Lookup some videos on how to do it.

GD

Ok, I used some radiator cleaning solutions and drained the system a couple of times, on the third one I ran a de-ionized water hose from one end of the radiator until it came out on the other end draining the whole system even the heater core, after that the water came out crystal clear...
..for like 70 miles, yesterday I had my car lifted from the top to replace the suspension and I noticed that the brown water came back.

Back to square 1.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

First, to clear up one bit of confusion, when Eric the Car Guy talks about oil entering the cooling system at the head gaskets, he is not talking about cam in block engines, like all of the chevy V8s. There is no pressurized oil passing through the head gaskets in these motors because there is no pressurized oil in the cyl head. Engine oil in the coolant could only come from a cracked block.

If in fact it is rust rather than oil that is contaminating the coolant, you need to follow GD's recommendation and flush the block a few times. It is hard to remove all of the rust from a cooling system that hasn't been maintained as the rust tends to settle in the bottom recesses of the block.

The coolant has anti corrosion additive in it. That's why a 50/50 mix is essential and as much as a 70/30 mix can be used. The more water in the mix, up to 50%, the better heat exchange. The old green coolant, which should never be used in anything, had silica sand(ethylene glycol silicate) emulsified in the ethylene glycol coolant. Trouble is, the sand would fall out of suspension over time, especially in engines that weren't run for periods of time, leaving no protection. Nothing preventing the iron from rusting and the aluminum from corroding and metals from mixing in the fluid and eating at each other. Organic acid coolants, which is everything but the old green stuff, contains organic acids that prevent the metals from corroding. Unlike the silica sand, the acids don't fall out of the mix, so the corrosion protection lasts for years, even when a car sits over time.

The coolant to use in these early engines is Zerex G-05. It is an OAT(organic acid technology) coolant that also contains silica sand. The silica sand, aside from being the old tech choice for anti corrosion, is also a sealant to cover very small leaks and porosity. G-05 gives us the best of both the old and the new technology and it will protect your cooling system and engine for 5 years, even if you garage your car over winter like I do. Speaking of which, I'm due to replace my G-05 coolant this summer.

BTW, all of this information comes from the Prestone company.

Last edited by ASE doc; 06-15-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ASE doc
The coolant to use in these early engines is Zerex G-05. It is an OAT(organic acid technology) coolant that also contains silica sand. The silica sand, aside from being the old tech choice for anti corrosion, is also a sealant to cover very small leaks and porosity. G-05 gives us the best of both the old and the new technology and it will protect your cooling system and engine for 5 years, even if you garage your car over winter like I do. Speaking of which, I'm due to replace my G-05 coolant this summer.

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
First, to clear up one bit of confusion, when Eric the Car Guy talks about oil entering the cooling system at the head gaskets, he is not talking about cam in block engines, like all of the chevy V8s. There is no pressurized oil passing through the head gaskets in these motors because there is no pressurized oil in the cyl head. Engine oil in the coolant could only come from a cracked block.
So if I have a cracked block I should have water in my oil as well, and this is not the case, is just the water that is contaminated.

If in fact it is rust rather than oil that is contaminating the coolant, you need to follow GD's recommendation and flush the block a few times. It is hard to remove all of the rust from a cooling system that hasn't been maintained as the rust tends to settle in the bottom recesses of the block.
I did flush it a few times using the prestone radiator flush kit and on the last time I even remove the thermostat and disconnected the hose going to the engine and connected a hose with diwater and ran it until all came out clear on the radiator, it stayed clean but it came back after like 50 miles.

The coolant has anti corrosion additive in it. That's why a 50/50 mix is essential and as much as a 70/30 mix can be used. The more water in the mix, up to 50%, the better heat exchange. The old green coolant, which should never be used in anything, had silica sand(ethylene glycol silicate) emulsified in the ethylene glycol coolant. Trouble is, the sand would fall out of suspension over time, especially in engines that weren't run for periods of time, leaving no protection. Nothing preventing the iron from rusting and the aluminum from corroding and metals from mixing in the fluid and eating at each other. Organic acid coolants, which is everything but the old green stuff, contains organic acids that prevent the metals from corroding. Unlike the silica sand, the acids don't fall out of the mix, so the corrosion protection lasts for years, even when a car sits over time.
I haven't use any coolant at all, I been using plain water, I don't want to waste money in coolant if is going to be contaminated next day.

Last edited by cheves; 06-22-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Can it be that is just getting bad from the water since is an iron block?
I will try to flush and use G-05 coolant.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Cast iron + water = RUST.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Cast iron + water = RUST.

There is not much worse you can do than run straight water in a mixed metal system. In the cooling system on a thrird gen you have cast iron block, aluminum radiator, brass or aluminum heater core, aluminum intake manifold and throttle body. Depending on the engine you may also have aluminum heads. The unprotected metals mix in the water and react badly with each other. You will have leaks internal and external before you know it. When you tear down to fix the leaks you'll find erosion on the aluminum surfaces. It can make re-sealing the engine nearly impossible. BTW, use distilled water with your coolant rather than tap water. Tap water has minerals that your engine doesn't need.

Last edited by ASE doc; 06-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

WalMart has distilled water in the grocery aisles. < $1.00/gal
Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Flush the system with distilled water 5 times and on the last one fill it up with 60% Zerex G5 and 40% distilled water.

Will drive it tomorrow to see results.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Supreme Member

sounds good.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

So what happened?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:39 PM

After replacing the water with the coolant the problem went away.
It was just rust from the water.

Thank you.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Car: 84 Z-28 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: richmond 3.73, eaton posi

it might be late now but did you drain the block? there are pipe plugs on either side of the block that are for draining the block (mine have them....but its an aftermarket block..can someone confirm that stock blocks have them) I think its 1/4 or 3/8 pipe thread with a Allen head on them....mine were tight as hell but I got a ton of crap out of them block by cracking them open, so much that I had to use a coat hanger to break it up on one side BC it initially came out as a drizzle.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

there are pipe plugs on either side of the block that are for draining the block (mine have them....but its an aftermarket block..can someone confirm that stock blocks have them)

Yes, they are there in stock blocks. Typically one is used by the knock sensor. 1/4" pipe thread.