Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch master cylinder rod bent

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Gta trans am project 1-1/2
Engine: 86 4 bolt main cammed sbc 355 hsr
Transmission: 89 wc bw t5
Axle/Gears: Bw 9 bolt (3.27) pbr 11in
Clutch master cylinder rod bent

Ok so here is what happened i swapped over a auto car to a t5 now i think I missed some of the brackets for the master cylinder I drilled the hole for the clutch master and bolted it to the fire wall but notice after finishing everything when I pushed the pedal down it wouldnt move saw that the firewall got bent upwards. Im wondering if I'm missing brackets from the pedal assembly to brace the firewall more so this wont happen.

Im thinking about getting a 1/8 steel plate template and welding it to the firewall on the foot panel side to brace that 18 gauge metal will this work I know I'm not gonna be able to find the pieces for the pedals that come off the top of the pedals down to the foot well to brace everything since f bodies in New England MA are becoming extinct and all.

Give me some inside info on how you guys did it on your swapped 3rd gens
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi
Re: Clutch master cylinder rod bent

Can you post some pictures of what you did?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Stock 5spd cars have two 3/8" thick bars that run from the pedal pivots down to the clutch master U-bolt, and also a fairly large sheet metal doubler reinforcement that's spot welded to the firewall to beef it up where the clutch master hole is added. Without those reinforcements, there gets to be an awful lot of holes in that area of the firewall, and they're prone to cracking in auto transmission cars...
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Yea see that's the problem I didn't get those two 3/8ths rods with the swap so looks like I'll have to fab something up or if I could find those 2 rods that would be fantastic. If I get the two rods will it still be ok to fab a piece of 1/8 steel plate down by the foot well weld it in to add more bracing or do u think with just the rods it will hold up fine
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Which pedals are you using? Thirdgen pedals, you really want to use the rods. They're also specific to the early or late pedals. Around 86 or 87 GM switched from the rod type clutch safety switch, to the small black button switch, at the same time the rods changed.

The doubler plate doesnt need to be nearly that heavy. GM used a typical piece of sheetmetal. 4th gens apparently use the same doubler, with the pedal brackets to further reinforce the firewall.

Pilfered Ebay photo of the doubler.

Name:  clutchmaster%20reinforcement%202.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  98.3 KB
Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
Which pedals are you using? Thirdgen pedals, you really want to use the rods. They're also specific to the early or late pedals. Around 86 or 87 GM switched from the rod type clutch safety switch, to the small black button switch, at the same time the rods changed.

The doubler plate doesnt need to be nearly that heavy. GM used a typical piece of sheetmetal. 4th gens apparently use the same doubler, with the pedal brackets to further reinforce the firewall.

Pilfered Ebay photo of the doubler.

im using pedals from a 88 formula but when I took it all out from the bone yard the car didn't have the rods I think someone converted the car over to a standard as well cause the trans tunnel was all jacked up im wondering if I could buy these rods from somewhere and I'll use a less thicker metal to brace I guess which will be fully welded in
Old 03-29-2017, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Name:  P3290003.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  240.6 KB

Just for clarity, late pedals left, 84 pedals right. Difference is the clutch switch, and the tab on the clutch pedal. Note that the rod on the clutch pedal side comes further over to clear the later switch.

Finding the rods alone and the right pair to match your pedals might be difficult. A full set of pedals should be easier to come by. The rods could probably be fabbed from steel rod with a torch, hammer, and anvil, but I'd probably just buy a full set of pedals.