TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Anyone bought a Delco EP241 fuel pump from this eBay seller?

Old 03-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts
Anyone bought a Delco EP241 fuel pump from this eBay seller?

Haven't been able to test fuel psi yet, but I'm guessing I need a fuel pump for my '91 Camaro RS as it always takes forever to start, even after cycling the key 5-6 times to build fuel pressure. This eBay listing is half the price of the EP241 on Amazon, and also includes necessary o-rings, strainer, and clamps, none of which are included with the Amazon pump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-DELCO...5T6j1G&vxp=mtr

Only problem is, I've heard lots of bad things about EP241s that people buy from eBay; specifically that they're Chinese knockoffs, and fail after a month or so.

Has anyone bought a pump from this seller? I'd hate to spend more than double to get the pump and other necessary parts from Amazon if the eBay pump is the same thing. They've sold a ton of them, but they have all the auctions blocked in their feedback, so no way to tell what parts their negative feedback is for.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Re: Anyone bought a Delco EP241 fuel pump from this eBay seller?

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
Haven't been able to test fuel psi yet, but I'm guessing I need a fuel pump for my '91 Camaro RS as it always takes forever to start, even after cycling the key 5-6 times to build fuel pressure. This eBay listing is half the price of the EP241 on Amazon, and also includes necessary o-rings, strainer, and clamps, none of which are included with the Amazon pump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-DELCO...5T6j1G&vxp=mtr

Only problem is, I've heard lots of bad things about EP241s that people buy from eBay; specifically that they're Chinese knockoffs, and fail after a month or so.

Has anyone bought a pump from this seller? I'd hate to spend more than double to get the pump and other necessary parts from Amazon if the eBay pump is the same thing. They've sold a ton of them, but they have all the auctions blocked in their feedback, so no way to tell what parts their negative feedback is for.
That doesnt look like an ac delco pump to me.... And All that is included with the real ac delco pump except the strainer. And those clamps are crap you wouldnt want to use them anyways. The ones that actually came with the REAL ac delco pump were worm gear clamps that i threw in the trash any who and bought real F.I hose clamps.

With how big the fuel pump job is, i wouldnt want to cheap out on anything anyways.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

1. Problems with long crank time could just as easily be the result of a failed fuel pump relay or relay wire harness as a failed pump. DIAGNOSE FIRST, replace parts afterward.

2. Photos of my EP241 (several years old) can be found here:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/...p-upgrade.html

As said, the pump in the eBay photos does not look like my EP241; and I also pitched the worm-gear clamps in favor of proper fuel-injection clamps. The old fuel pump hose was held on with worm-gear clamps, which is why I'll never use them on rubber hoses again.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

If it were me, I'd get this Bosch pump from RockAuto:

BOSCH 69218 Electric Fuel Pump Info
In-Tank; Z28 Heritage Edition; Z28 Model; OE upgrade unit $52.79

The aftermarket review board here has a discount code for 5% off that price. Note that it comes with real FI hose clamps and such.

RBob.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

That is exactly what my delco EP241 / EP381 looked like. A lot of the new Delco pumps are the same pump, different number. They're essentially the EP381. Great pump, I have them in both of my cars.

I have never heard of the Chinese knock-off story. They're usually made in Mexico or Brazil.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Schurkey
1. Problems with long crank time could just as easily be the result of a failed fuel pump relay or relay wire harness as a failed pump. DIAGNOSE FIRST, replace parts afterward.

That's the plan. I've had the t-adapter that goes in place of the fuel filter for several weeks now, just been waiting for my buddy here at work to have time to hook up his gauge to it to see what it's putting out. Fuel pump relay is good, I can hear both the relay and the pump running when turning the key on. Car also has some fuel pressure at that point, which I verified by turning the key on with the fuel filter out of the car, and watching fuel spill onto the floor.

Guess I can rule that eBay pump out as being legit at this point. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
That's the plan. I've had the t-adapter that goes in place of the fuel filter for several weeks now, just been waiting for my buddy here at work to have time to hook up his gauge to it to see what it's putting out. Fuel pump relay is good, I can hear both the relay and the pump running when turning the key on. Car also has some fuel pressure at that point, which I verified by turning the key on with the fuel filter out of the car, and watching fuel spill onto the floor.

Guess I can rule that eBay pump out as being legit at this point. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys!
That eBay pump IS LEGIT.

I've done enough tanks to know. That is a legit, ACDelco pump. I've had the same one in my car a year and a half, zero problems, no noise, great pressure.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by thtanner
That eBay pump IS LEGIT.

I've done enough tanks to know. That is a legit, ACDelco pump. I've had the same one in my car a year and a half, zero problems, no noise, great pressure.

Alright, so that's 1 vote for no, and 2 votes for yes. I'm leaning towards the eBay pump again now lol.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

I think a lot of people don't understand ACDelco and it's branding.

1) ACDelco doesn't make anything unless it says "OE/Original Equipment," and even then it's still probably a third party company making it

2) They have several "lines", part numbers can be shared across the lines. "Advantage", "Professional", "Original Equipment" Advantage is the cheaper line, Pro the next one up, and OE is exactly what came on the car. Most stuff is no longer available in the OE line simply because the original manufacturer is no longer around or making the part. They then go to third parties, match parts, and sell them under "Advantage" and "Professional" lines.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

So which "Line" is the eBay pump? I just saw a "genuine" AC-Delco pump on Amazon for $50. Any chance the eBay pump is the cheap AC-Delco tarted-up as the more-expensive AC-Delco? Amazon is claiming "Made in USA" although I can't say I'm convinced.
www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19237638-General-Motors-Replacement/dp/B00QCZFNCC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490724968&sr=8-5&keywords=fuel+pump+ep241 www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19237638-General-Motors-Replacement/dp/B00QCZFNCC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490724968&sr=8-5&keywords=fuel+pump+ep241
Note that this one also has the filter, and the multi-color pump assembly, but it is NOT an "original equipment" pump.

According to Amazon, the EP241 I put in my K1500 is now sourced from China. I don't know if that's a mistake on the Amazon web page, or if AC-Delco switched suppliers.

For the record, I bought an AC-Delco "Original Equipment" pump for my Trailblazer. The pump that came out of the tank had a Bosch tag on it, the pump that came out of the AC-Delco box also had a Bosch tag on it, and the same Bosch part number. The original Bosch pump was made in USA, the replacement Bosch pump was made in Mexico. Go figure.

Last edited by Schurkey; 03-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

It says Advantage on the box
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RBob
If it were me, I'd get this Bosch pump from RockAuto:

BOSCH 69218 Electric Fuel Pump Info
In-Tank; Z28 Heritage Edition; Z28 Model; OE upgrade unit $52.79

The aftermarket review board here has a discount code for 5% off that price. Note that it comes with real FI hose clamps and such.

RBob.
Any reason why you recommend the Bosch over the AC Delco pump now?

Originally Posted by thtanner
I think a lot of people don't understand ACDelco and it's branding.

1) ACDelco doesn't make anything unless it says "OE/Original Equipment," and even then it's still probably a third party company making it

2) They have several "lines", part numbers can be shared across the lines. "Advantage", "Professional", "Original Equipment" Advantage is the cheaper line, Pro the next one up, and OE is exactly what came on the car. Most stuff is no longer available in the OE line simply because the original manufacturer is no longer around or making the part. They then go to third parties, match parts, and sell them under "Advantage" and "Professional" lines.
Wow very good info. I was seriously unaware that they had different lines of products for the same item.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Ghettobird52
Any reason why you recommend the Bosch over the AC Delco pump now?
It is mostly due to information from this site. Starting several years ago the AC Delco pumps were failing at a high rate within a short period of time. Some folks here posted that they changed to a Bosch pump with good results.

I have used several in-line Bosch pumps in the past and they too worked rather well.

Generally I'm a AC Delco fan, but with the counterfeit stuff coming out of China this has changed. On another site folks were having issues with AC Delco oil filters. Came to find out that yep, Chinese counterfeits.

RBob.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RBob
It is mostly due to information from this site. Starting several years ago the AC Delco pumps were failing at a high rate within a short period of time. Some folks here posted that they changed to a Bosch pump with good results.

I have used several in-line Bosch pumps in the past and they too worked rather well.

Generally I'm a AC Delco fan, but with the counterfeit stuff coming out of China this has changed. On another site folks were having issues with AC Delco oil filters. Came to find out that yep, Chinese counterfeits.

RBob.
Crazy stuff! Thanks for the info
Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

I went with Bosch due to the reason RBob stated. AC Delco outsourced to China and the quality seems to have gone downhill. The Bosch so far has been in my car for 3 years and still runs good.

Search this Thread