Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Power draw help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: Posi Richmond 3.73
Power draw help needed.

I am at a loss trying to figure out my power draw issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1985 Z28, mostly stock 305 tpi, fan temp sensor went bad over 10 years ago so I rewired the fan relay to stay on with the ignition. Last week I took the car to work and everything was fine. Got home that night and the fan stayed running after turning the car off. No other accessories were on (radio). I figured the fan relay was bad so I just unplugged the relay. The next morning the battery was completely drained, couldn't even jump start it. Now I'm trying to figure out why the fan is staying on with the key off all of the sudden. The ignition wire to the relay is hot at all times now. I can pull the fan fuse but the battery still drains. I can't find any other fan relays for the 1985 system. Is it possible the ignition cylinder in the column is bad and only sending power through the fan system? Any other thoughts?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Power draw help needed.

Originally Posted by ace16a
I am at a loss trying to figure out my power draw issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. 1985 Z28, mostly stock 305 tpi, fan temp sensor went bad over 10 years ago so I rewired the fan relay to stay on with the ignition. Last week I took the car to work and everything was fine. Got home that night and the fan stayed running after turning the car off. No other accessories were on (radio). I figured the fan relay was bad so I just unplugged the relay. The next morning the battery was completely drained, couldn't even jump start it. Now I'm trying to figure out why the fan is staying on with the key off all of the sudden. The ignition wire to the relay is hot at all times now. I can pull the fan fuse but the battery still drains. I can't find any other fan relays for the 1985 system. Is it possible the ignition cylinder in the column is bad and only sending power through the fan system? Any other thoughts?
My thought is that you ended up using the ignition switch to switch the power to the fans , and that the mad amount of current the fan draws eventually welded the ignition switch contact closed , and that you need a new ignition switch . (after you put the fan wiring back to being proper so you don't fry your new switch which , BTW , is not behind the steering wheel or ignition key , it's part way down the steering column , sorta near where the steering column goes through the floor . In other words you will not be removing the steering wheel or ignition key lock cylinder to be replacing the welded closed switch) .
Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 PM

I did not know there is another switch further down the column, thanks for the idea. I bypassed the relay because I couldn't get the temp switch that had failed out of the block. I was much younger then so I'm going to try it again and see if I can get it fixed the right way. Probably lasted as long as it has because I only drive the car maybe 6000 miles a year.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:10 PM

Finally got a chance to change the switch but it didn't help. I did notice that with the switch unplugged, the fan is still running. Is there any way wires could be crossing in the loom somewhere? The radio and all other power accessories work as normal. I can pull the fan fuse to stop the fan but the battery still goes dead so the problem has to be before the fuseblock.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 PM

A strange thing occurred while I was putting everything back together. The fan was running and then just stopped, and cycled on and off with the key. Then a few minutes later, it started running constantly again.
I also noticed that in the fuse block, the heater/ac fuse and the tail light fuse is hot with the fan fuse. Is there a common wire that feeds those three fuses?
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Ace Ventura ▬ NO! . . . . . . CAMARO !

Originally Posted by ace
Is there any way wires could be crossing in the loom somewhere?
Yes.

Also the PO could have messed with it.

Depending on the VIN, not only the fan switch turns on the fan, but also the ECM VIA a temp sensor.

Also a defective HVAC switch can turn the fan on.
COOL▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬WARM

You can use a voltmeter to check the above.

Originally Posted by ace
battery still goes dead

Sometimes the under-hood or hatch light does not go out so check those easy ones first.

Then connect an ammeter in series with the battery.

If there is more than 50 milliamps there is excessive draw.

(You can use a small bulb such as a side marker bulb if you don’t have an ammeter.)

Disconnect the alternator wires to see if IT’S the problem.

With everything turned off and doors closed observe the current flow.

Pull the fuses one at a time, including the pump fuse near the battery, till you see the current drop.

That’s the circuit with the problem.

DRAIN LEAK

Disconnect your battery.

Clip on your fully charged jumper pack with an ammeter in series.

Connect an ammeter in series with the battery.

With everything turned off and doors closed observe the current flow.

If you see more than fifty milliamps pull the fuses one at a time till the problem goes away.

That’s the circuit with the problem.

Happy Racing !

Make Noise, Turn Left, Repeat

Old 05-01-2017, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have narrowed the problem down to a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. I was looking at wires and tracing where they went and fan would turn off and on again. Started moving different wires to see if the fan turned off. Followed a wire from the battery to the alt and saw a brown wire from the alt to the starter switch. If I unplugged the two wire plug on the alternator the fan would quit. So I got a new voltage regulator installed and now waiting on the battery to charge. Will update when the battery is charged and I can test it.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Dad's 87 Bird (Org Owner)
Engine: Vortec 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

ace16a, curious to see if you fixed the problem. Any update?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:43 AM

The alternator was the problem. Replaced alternator and everything works as it should again.