Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Dash connector ID

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
Dash connector ID

I am removing/cutting back all the wiring I do not need for a mostly stripped down budget race car.

OK this connector was in the dash under the side gauges(not speedo or tach) on an 85 TA with TPI. Most the wires went towards the ecm harness part and I cut all that out. I don't think anything was even hooked up to it and b4 I cut it the rest of the way out figured I'd ask. I've looked and been able to id all other connectors but this one. It was located on the other(passenger) side of the steering wheel, I just positioned it so I could get a pic real quick.

Name:  005_zpsvlaexvow.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  141.8 KB
Old 04-27-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro berlinetta
Engine: v8
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Dash connector ID

it looks kinda like the connector for the power mirrors, but i may be wrong. it could have also been part of a remote start or alarm at one point in time. been a while since ive been under my dash so it may be something completely different. the way the wires look it looks like it could have been a part of a sound system at one point in time too. not too sure, but those would be my guesses. if you are removing most of it anyway and it wasnt connected to something it may not be worth worrying about.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

That doesn't look like a factory connector to me. Looks like an old, Radio Shack AMP (brand) connector. Those little ears are lock tabs for mounting the connector in a sheet metal panel.

Did the car have any aftermarket electronics like a stereo or alarm system in it?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by paulo57509
That doesn't look like a factory connector to me. Looks like an old, Radio Shack AMP (brand) connector. Those little ears are lock tabs for mounting the connector in a sheet metal panel.

Did the car have any aftermarket electronics like a stereo or alarm system in it?
Yes, looks like an aftermarket stereo harness / connector to me.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

It's actually a Molex KK series (or plug equivalent) connector.

Not factory. Definitely aftermarket.

Doesn't look Far East; probably not for a stereo. More likely for an alarm.

Let me introduce you to "Sofa's Rule of Wire":

If one end is disconnected, it isn't doing anything.
If one end is isn't doing anything, the other end isn't either.
If the ends aren't doing anything, the middle isn't either.
Less weight, go faster.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Manual mirrors, only power options are windows, it had a power hatch but it was added later I think and never wired, at least I don't rem a switch. The junction box only shows one pink and one orange. Car has fog lamps.

The connector is not spliced in and the wires all look factory before I started to unwrap the harness. it was in a factory looking cutout in the dash inserted from behind facing out below the two factory gauge connectors. I'll cut it out and stick it in the dash to take a pic later. No aftermarket place would unwrap the entire dash harness.

edit: None of the wires went to the stereo area at all they went to the ecm/hvac end or they go towards the fuse panel end.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

GM used that type connector on mid-80's Firebirds. The sub-harness to the hatch release, subwoofer gain control, and rear defrost controls plugs into a plug like that under the instrument cluster.

Photo hi-jacked from this post... https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...ml#post5803551
Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Yup that's it, when I went out I looked thru the pile of wires n found a black connector that goes to a white connector after about 10 inches. I just assumed at that point it was somewhere in the console which I am deleting.