Camaros for Sale Post your Camaro for Sale.

Help with determining what to sell IROC for

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with determining what to sell IROC for

I know it ultimately comes down to what someone is willing to pay. I'm just looking for a starting point. Sadly after 19 years of very proud ownership, it's time to sell my 87 IROC. The G92 optioned IROC is very near stock with the original 305 Tpi and 5 speed still in the car which has 96k on it. It had 72k when I bought it. The car is mostly original and the dash pad is not cracked. The leather seats are in good shape. T-tops are original and the locks match the car. I also still have the original stereo receiver (non Bose) in case someone wants it as original as possible at some point. Now the bad, It needs paint and tires, the driver side floor pan needs to be patched or replaced as there is a soft spot from sitting. The rest of the floor is In extremely good shape especially for a 30 year old New Hampshire car. And the gas gauge probably had a bad ground as it always reads past full. I realize these things paint hurt the value but it is in no way a piece of junk. so I'm just wondering where you guys think a good starting point is. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Want a title? Post!

Re: Help with determining what to sell IROC for

Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Not sure if this will help at all but I bought a black 87 G92 305/5spd with similar miles (105k), similar paint, trashed wrong interior but otherwise decent running condition & no rust for $6,000 a little over two years ago...but...it was the car I ordered new 30 years ago and I'd have paid more.

The unfortunate point for me with your car would be the leather interior. A custom cloth interior with the same miles would not look as worn, old & dated. If you could find a set of decent red custom cloth seats, you'd upgrade the value of the car considerably.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Want a title? Post!

Thanks PurelyPMD. I appreciate your response. With any luck maybe I will find someone who likes the leather? Anyway thanks again!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 AM
Supreme Member

The original hood would help too - currently the cars are selling better the closer they are to original condition.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 formula, 89 formula 350 vert
Engine: 305, 355
Transmission: T5, t56
Axle/Gears: 3:45 9 bolt, 8.8 3:73

I think $3500ish would be a good starting point. Unfortunately the two big negatives of the car are the floors and paint. That alone will turn a lot of people off. Depending on how bad exactly they are though
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

$6k is probably close, maybe a bit optimistic. The 5spd is worth a premium, but the Daytona hood pretty much cancels that out. The condition is better than average, but poor for the mileage. The rusty floor is a huge hit, bad paint another, custom touches like the red painted interior screws hurt, it needs a lot of little things like centercap emblems, mirror repaired, door panel caps... I'd look up the NADA collector (fair-good) book value, and look at a few "sold" ebay listings for similar cars, add a bit to cover haggling, and hope for the best.

If you put a bit of effort into it, ie paint, a stock hood, clean off the red paint, replace the door panel caps, clean and detail, it'd probably bring considerably more money, but the difference might not be as much as the cost involved freshening the car up.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

Great options/colors, miles are decent. Hood hurts it IMO, and obviously the fact that it needs paint is going to be your biggest deduct. I'm guessing it probably needs lots of little things too, as most of our cars do at this point.

I would probably ask around $5k, and take as little as $3800. Car needs $3-5k worth of paint/body work, probably $1200 in upholstery, tires are $500+, and I'm sure you could probably spend another $2k+ in little things if you wanted to, to make it really nice and reliable.

I'd clean it up real good, do all the easy/free stuff (like painting your shift plate screws back to Black), and put it on craigslist for $5k.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700

Why not use the search feature and find the WHAT IS MY CAR WORTH thread and read through it?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Such a love/hate relationship for Daytona hoods here. I love mine. If the car had a powerful rebuilt engine that needed good cooling or a raised hood I think this hood would be fine but for a stock engine like yours I agree that the stock hood would help it sell. I happen to like red interiors over a cloth so I say the red leather would sell it better. If the floors really are clean except for a small rust spot I think $5000 firm is fair.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: Torsen 3.73

I think people are over estimating the value. The car is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, and I don't see people paying much more than 3500 for that car the way it sits. If you bought the original hood in black, then buffed the whole car out maybe you could get 4000 for it. Between the cracked leather driver seat, rusty floor (if the floor is rusty the rocker panels are probably rusted too), faded paint, and other imperfections I would say it is a project car, not a car somebody can get in and drive. I wouldn't pay any more than 3500 for it, But like I said, if you buffed it out and put the original hood back on, maybe put the original radio back in, you could squeeze out a little more money
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Supreme Member

It's a moving target - as the nicer, rarer cars go up in value the lower value, driver or worse ones rise as well. In the past two years I've paid 2 or 3k for cars in much better condition than this - but it's a rising market.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

The rust in the floor and condition of the body is a deal breaker. It may bring 3k because it has a desirable drivetrain. If it wasn't for it being a 5spd TPI car it would be a $1500 car. If you could get 3k you would be doing ok.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

When I lived in the Chicago region if a driving Z28 had only a single spot of rust on the floor pan it would go for $5000 or more. Out here in the SouthWest though, it would probably only pull in $3500. If it were an RS or V6 it would be less. I'm sticking with $5000 because its a driving IROCs with an easily repairable rust spot in New Hampshire.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I am going to knock you car, not to be mean - just reality. The hood is so out of date nobody will want that. All the screws in the interior are red... looks *****, the shift boot is worn, the leather is worn (I like leather btw), it needs a complete paint job and you have non functional guages and rust!

Curb appeal is not only important in Real Estate, but in everything. You may find the right person who wants one optioned the way you have it and honestly the 5-speed is the cars biggest asset.

I call it at $3500 at best. If you fix the gas gauge, paint the screws black, and get a new shift boot I bet you turn it into a $4500 car.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Without actually looking at the car, opinions on any body repair are pure speculation... That being said, it is a t-top tpi 5 speed car which adds value. The black and red combo, personally, is really cool. But I'm sure not everyone is a fan. Because I love it I'd probably offer a couple hundred more than some people. Sight unseen as it sits I'd offer like 3600 based on your description as it sits... gotta finish my other projects before buying more stuff tho! Find a stock hood for it, touch up the little cheap details, give it a good cleaning and polish, and I'd throw it out there for 4500 and see
Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

As a buyer I feel that I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for the car. It is a very solid car that definitely is not a piece of junk but there's some things that I personally am not thrilled about with it.

Personally I don't like the hood, the paint is shot, and the interior is not bad at all for the age but the red screws kill me. I'm not afraid of a small rot spot but usually if there's one section of rot on the car then there's gonna be another. You didn't mention if the suspension has been re-done yet because every single one of these cars need it after all these years. Also, the T -tops most likely leak unless gaskets were replaced.

those are the things that would have raised some doubt to me if I was in the market for another thirdgen. Some guy might love it, have a family friend respray it for a good price and be happy. All comes down to the buyer.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Supreme Member

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/6132773282.html
Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Fwiw, people criticizing, of all things, the red screws?? Seriously? Most of us here, myself included, probably have dozens of those things around. To even bother mentioning them in the grand scheme of the car is being more than just a little nit picky isn't it? For myself the mechanical repair of pretty much any given car isn't a big deal. For all but those with the talent and patience body work is the bigger concern. I'll take a good body over any mechanical stuff any day...
Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Originally Posted by zya5point0
Fwiw, people criticizing, of all things, the red screws?? Seriously? Most of us here, myself included, probably have dozens of those things around. To even bother mentioning them in the grand scheme of the car is being more than just a little nit picky isn't it? For myself the mechanical repair of pretty much any given car isn't a big deal. For all but those with the talent and patience body work is the bigger concern. I'll take a good body over any mechanical stuff any day...
its not really nit picking, everyone and their mothers on this site know that those interior screws wouldn't take any longer than 3 minutes to swap out..... yeah a straight body is one of the main thing to look for when purchasing a car but buying this car just for the somewhat straight body definitely does not warrant the $9000 he wants for the car...

those screws could be bright pink for all I care if the car was priced accordingly to its actual worth.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Fine if you feel that way, but lloks like a teen owned the car and if you are going to do that what else has been riced out.
in any event, you can see the majority impression of such a mod when selling a car. You can argue it, but reality is it is hurting the appeal and therefore the price.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by KyleF
Fine if you feel that way, but lloks like a teen owned the car and if you are going to do that what else has been riced out.
in any event, you can see the majority impression of such a mod when selling a car. You can argue it, but reality is it is hurting the appeal and therefore the price.
Good point Kyle about "ricing it out". Didn't look at it in that respect but you're right. And guess I shoulda put a smiley after my comment, didn't mean to sound like a jerk.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:21 PM

Good point Kyle about "ricing it out". Didn't look at it in that respect but you're right. And guess I shoulda put a smiley after my comment, didn't mean to sound like a jerk.
I should add, to each their own. Its an individuals car and money, build what you want. Cars are just the same as a house, you want a good selling price, you have to appeal to the largest market. That is why stock vehicles sell better, unless you find someone with the same taste you have... unless your name is Foose, Shelby, etc.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

I hate to say it, but would pay $3000 for it. Why? Because I know for a fact that the small fit and finish bits will make a huge difference when selling anything. I sell a lot of vehicles/powersports and can tell you when I look at anything for sale, if it is not clean then in my mind you probably didn't take care of it that well. So my next thought is what else is wrong with it and what's it going to take to fix it?

The little things like the red screws will make most people think "well I'll have to fix that..." and "I'll have to fix this" and eventually they won't see the value in the vehicle at all.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jharrison5
I hate to say it, but would pay $3000 for it. Why? Because I know for a fact that the small fit and finish bits will make a huge difference when selling anything. I sell a lot of vehicles/powersports and can tell you when I look at anything for sale, if it is not clean then in my mind you probably didn't take care of it that well. So my next thought is what else is wrong with it and what's it going to take to fix it?

The little things like the red screws will make most people think "well I'll have to fix that..." and "I'll have to fix this" and eventually they won't see the value in the vehicle at all.
I agree about the little things. My earlier point tho was if it's a desirable car then (personally) I'd let some little things go. If your buying something to turn a profit then yea, you look at EVERY little thing. Because it's something that I personally would desire to keep the red screws are trivial. If I'm looking for a keeper little stuff like that doesn't bother me. My IROC has several imperfections on the original paint. But because I wanted a keeper and not flip, I didn't care...
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

I agree about the little things. My earlier point tho was if it's a desirable car then (personally) I'd let some little things go. If your buying something to turn a profit then yea, you look at EVERY little thing. Because it's something that I personally would desire to keep the red screws are trivial. If I'm looking for a keeper little stuff like that doesn't bother me. My IROC has several imperfections on the original paint. But because I wanted a keeper and not flip, I didn't care...
Don't get me wrong I am able to see past the superficial stuff and know what the inherent value is, but a lot of people can't do that. My dad tried to sell his boat for an entire summer with no luck. It was in ok condition and was worth the $6000 he was asking and had a ton of people come look but no takers. The next summer he gave it to me to sell and over the course of a Saturday I tuned it up, washed and waxed it, and fixed one of the gas struts on the engine cover. Took some pics and posted it for sale and it was gone the next day for $6500. Same town, same $6000 asking price, but it looked and ran great. Two guys wanted it, one had to wait till Monday for the cash, and the other offered me $500 more to take it that day. Guy that bought it had looked at it the previous year but didn't want to fix the issues. I spent $45 and five hours of time to make $1000 (dad wanted $5500 & said I could keep any extra I made)