Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hot Rod Magazine Budget 305 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Rod Magazine Budget 305 Build

Hello all! I'm new here and here and a new owner of an 83 stock Camaro with 80,000 miles. I've been lurking for a while doing a lot of research on what to do with it outside of a swap.

I have basically zero technical knowledge on vehicle maintenance and upgrades. What I did find though, is an article online from Hot Rod Magazine that basically does what I want to do for this car.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0606-supercharged-small-block-chevy-engine-build/amp/

Nothing too crazy, IMO. I just need some guidance on where to start. I'm a soldier, so I want to set aside money every 1st and 15th to complete the build over time.

I just don't know where to start. I've added these parts to the various shopping carts, but what do I do first? In what order do I buy these parts in order to drop em off at the shop in a couple days while keeping this as my daily driver?

Thanks in advance for the help. I did a search, but I haven't found it on the forums. Please feel free to delete this is it's in the wrong section.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Hot Rod Magazine Budget 305 Build

Expect to spend quite a bit if you are having a shop do this. Also don't buy the parts ahead of time - talk to the shop and see what they recommend. The problem with buying your own parts is the shop will not be able to stand behind them through their wholesale channels.

I own a performance shop and you need to decide who is going to do the work and get a consultation with them. Then come back here and run it past the members of this forum and others after they give you their plan of attack. Don't take for granted they know what they are doing - read reviews and choose wisely but get second opinions too.

GD
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome Aboard!

If you have a 305 block to upgrade, you are a little bit ahead of the game. However, even with the block in hand, a 350 build could be less expensive overall. Parts for 4" bore engines are abundant, and the saturation in the marketplace fosters a lot of competition and price control. 305 pistons, rotating assemblies, heads and valves, and support parts are not as common.

Another very popular small block build is the 377 or 383 stroker, and either can be built for boost from a blower or turbo. The external dimensions are identical so you only need to choose a displacement. SBCs can be built from 265 tot 454 CID, although jumping to anything much over a 383 is not really considered a "budget" move since the block is more specialized (non-stock).

Another possibility is a completed short block assembly, and some of those can be had about as economically as a build.

Since you mentioned that you want to maintain your daily driver, if might actually be better to build from scratch the engine you want, then schedule down time to perform the exchange.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

If you want to maintain it as a daily driver I would suggest you start looking for a buildable 350 because as previously stated they are truly cheaper to build plus you will have more motor vs the 305. Line you up a reputable shop and have the 350 built while you are still driving with the 305. Once done any decent shop should be able to swap out the motors fairly quickly depending on their work load. Then you can sell the 305 and recoup some money or splurge on a good exhaust. BTW thank you so much for your service......It is truly appreciated.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again

Originally Posted by Vader
Welcome Aboard!

If you have a 305 block to upgrade, you are a little bit ahead of the game. However, even with the block in hand, a 350 build could be less expensive overall. Parts for 4" bore engines are abundant, and the saturation in the marketplace fosters a lot of competition and price control. 305 pistons, rotating assemblies, heads and valves, and support parts are not as common.

Another very popular small block build is the 377 or 383 stroker, and either can be built for boost from a blower or turbo. The external dimensions are identical so you only need to choose a displacement. SBCs can be built from 265 tot 454 CID, although jumping to anything much over a 383 is not really considered a "budget" move since the block is more specialized (non-stock).

Another possibility is a completed short block assembly, and some of those can be had about as economically as a build.

Since you mentioned that you want to maintain your daily driver, if might actually be better to build from scratch the engine you want, then schedule down time to perform the exchange.
you might also want to consider looking at a crate motor because if you're having a shop build the motor frequently you'll find that you can buy a crate motor cheaper than you can have one built machine work is not cheap.. also X2 on swapping in a 350-383 going NA is way cheaper than boost so realistically how much HP do you want? Keep in mind get too much HP then you open a can of worms in that now you need to beef up the trans and rear end.... Just my .02 cent's I have 357hp heads, cam, headers and stockish TPI you and the car is drivable anywhere and an absolute blast on the road course

Last edited by daferris; 05-23-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Auto correct error
Old 05-23-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

Old 05-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

x3 on the 383 they are too cheap not to do these days
that extra stroke really makes a difference.
Recommend not shopping on ebay for a cheapo piece you just never know what youre getting.

save much as you can then add a good 30% as projects always cost more than ya figure. its all the little stuff that adds up. Stay away from bling you can save quite a bit, nothing wrong with plain old valve covers, painted intake in fact it can be fun popping the hood to show off an "old" looking motor that doesnt look like much but runs hard.