V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Weird Electrical problem

Old 05-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Weird Electrical problem

Well my car randomly died on the 405 yesterday . Tried to turn it back on and no go just cranking. Well I waited about 25 min and then it turned on and got it home. Had been dying on me randomly before also but would turn back on right after. My airdam recently came off and my car had been running a little hot for a while so I Knew ICM problem. Well I went and got a brand new ICM since I have a lifetime warranty. Popped it in and took a test drive to the valley from la and back and problem solved. So I get home park the car. Hours later I go to turn on my car and my power windows don't work. I check the fuses and the fuse labeled LID is blown(15). Popped another fuse in there and I got power windows back. But only When the ignition switch is on and car off. If I turn on the car I lose my power windows but fuse still good. Turn off the car with ignition switch on i have power windows. Also i have a remote fan switch and that also doesn't work with car on only off and IS on. Another thing is my voltmeter reads below the 13 mark when before it would read a little past the 13 mark. Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Re: Weird Electrical problem

I wonder if there is something wrong with the key presence switch in the steering column?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Re: Weird Electrical problem

Well upon further inspection I found out my alternator bracket is also broken. If you checked out my other post my power steering bracket also broke due to belt tension being to tight. so I fixed that problem by getting a longer belt part no. 835k6 which is a inch longer than my last belt . So I thought maybe the alternator wasn't getting a good enough ground since the bracket is broken also. So I gave it a straight ground to the chassis and seemed to get better but didn't totally eliminate the problem. My voltmeter is now reading 14 volts plus and my windows work now too. But still sometimes when I turn car on the alternator doesn't charge. I'm guessing my alternator is going out since giving it the straight ground didn't eliminate that problem. Had it for like a few years I guess it had a good run . Good thing I have a warranty for that too . Well just posting to help anybody out facing the same problems but I doubt anyone will since my car is so mickey moused hehe

Search this Thread