Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Hooking up ignition to switch panel.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Hooking up ignition to switch panel.

I'm trying to hook up the ignition to my switch panel and I'm unsure of which wire to use, I'm eliminating the key for everything except the column lock so I would need the wire to still power all of the windows and such. I know many people think a switch panel is dumb and to keep it original but I bought the car and the wiring was already hacked up (along with many other things) I have my starter and fuel pump wires I just don't Know where the ignition wire I need to use is Located and the color. Any help would be very appreciated!!
-1989 Trans Am GTA

This is the switch panel I'm using

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Hooking up ignition to switch panel.

You say the car is a 1989 , how have you bypassed VATS if your gonna use switches ? I will enclose a couple of wiring diagrams that show your ignition , starting , and fuel pump wires so as long you have somehow eliminated VATS this should get you going .

Double click on each image to see it in detail , good luck , and welcome to TGO
Attached Thumbnails Hooking up ignition to switch panel.-fig43_1989_5_7l_tuned_port_injection_engine_wiring.gif   Hooking up ignition to switch panel.-fig45_1989_body_wiring_continued.gif  
Old 05-28-2017, 12:18 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by KnobesGTA
I know many people think a switch panel is dumb and to keep it original
Yes, it is a dumb idea. And not for reason of keeping things original, but because it is so much effort and the rats nest of wiring will grow larger.

All the switched power for the entire car passes through a multi-function switch on the steering column, called the ignition switch. It is likely the case that two red wires are the power sources in, and all the other wires are power out to fuse box, starter solenoid, ignition coil, and whatever else it operates (almost everything on the car).

The starter solenoid wire is active only when the key is in the crank position, but you have arbitrarily decided you are too lazy to use the crank position so you would have to run a third power source wire to your switch panel just to operate the starter motor, and then tie that back in to the existing starter wiring downstream of the key switch and start relay. Have fun with that.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 05-28-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA

Thanks! I got it figured out and it works great. not a mess of wiring there at all and everything tucks in nice where the radio should be. Local track just re-opened after many years so I have to fix some of the fuel system that also got hacked and hopefully take it down the track.